Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hacked by Huawei

Started by BlodwynPig, July 15, 2019, 09:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

On my terminal command line, the text that normally says Mac-Book or Blodwyn's Mac Book now says

newhuaweiapstaff-10-56-54-4:

Have I been hacked by the Chinese?

BlodwynPig

duh...its to do with the wi-fi I am on, something about reverse DNS lookup. Must be that the University/Eduroam use Huawei technology

bgmnts

Twed

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on July 15, 2019, 07:40:23 PM
You at Newcastle?

yup (IP?)...can you see me typing this?

Twed

Nah, it's just that if you Google newhuaweiapstaff it shows some stuff where you can trace that hostname to a hop at Newcastle University.

It's weird that your Macbook inherits that as its hostname though.

Twed

Oh, apparently "OS X normally gets the hostname from a reverse lookup of the IP address the machine has". I did not know that.

BlodwynPig

Well that is enlightening! Although I did find that out earlier but shrugged a bit.

The only hit I got on newhuaweiapstaff (from google) was a Cambridge university mail about a conference at Oxford.

Twed

That's the one. If you ctrl-f within that you can resolve it to an acl.ac.uk host.

Open source intelligence is fun. You can really spook people.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on July 15, 2019, 08:09:25 PM
Oh, apparently "OS X normally gets the hostname from a reverse lookup of the IP address the machine has". I did not know that.

Now that explains why my old work mac used to keep changing its name to company.nick no matter what I tried to change it to.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 15, 2019, 09:06:23 AM

newhuaweiapstaff-10-56-54-4:

I got that in a fortune cookie at lunch