Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most consistent comedy figures

Started by TheMonk, July 15, 2019, 02:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

Many people in comedy seem to burn bright then waste all the goodwill with inferior later material.
Elton, Martin, Kay, Cleese, Idle etc etc.

Which comedians or comedy figures have been most consistent, never really burning out, fading away or damaging their reputation with latter day sub par tat?

madhair60

Icehaven

bobloblaw

Quote from: madhair60 on July 15, 2019, 02:54:18 PM
Bob Mortimer. Only Bob Mortimer.

I'd have said Whitehouse too, though he looks to have cashed in his chips with the Only Fools musical (not that I'd deny him creating it to top up his retirement fund)

neveragain

Kay's alright in my books (c/o Car Share).

checkoutgirl

Quote from: TheMonk on July 15, 2019, 02:52:25 PM
Which comedians or comedy figures have been most consistent, never really burning out, fading away or damaging their reputation with latter day sub par tat?

that bozo, Bonko the Clown.

Benjaminos

Stewart Lee has been consistently good (and arguably getting better) for 25 years or so. And yeah, Bob, obviously.

Jockice

bgmnts

Yeah hard to look past Stewart Lee and Bob Mortimer. Mostly because they are so chunky.

Just laughs, they are exceptionally funny, in basically opposite ways.

Captain Z

Roy Chubby Brown. Consistently doing the same material for 50 years.

gatchamandave

Quote from: Captain Z on July 15, 2019, 05:28:16 PM

Worked for Jack Benny

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Martin Short. He's made some shit films in his time, but he's never lost his comic mojo. An incredibly funny, brilliant man who's as sharp now as he ever was.

The same goes for his great showbiz mate Steve Martin. Now, Martin's filmography is obviously full of more clunkers than classics, but the man himself is still very funny.

I guess they count if we're talking about veteran comedians who haven't lost it, despite making questionable career choices?

Larry David? Sixteen long series of two of the best sitcoms ever made, all clearly touched by his hand.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: bobloblaw on July 15, 2019, 03:11:35 PM
I'd have said Whitehouse too

Really?  I thought the later series of Harry & Paul was turd.

Dusty Substance

Norm MacDonald. His Netflix show may have reined him in a lot, especially when compared to the brilliant NM Live series on You Tube, but he's still utterly hilarious and, probably, the comedian who makes me laugh more than anyone else at the moment.

Twit 2

Norm Macdonald and Bob Mortimer. Every sentence that leaves their mouths is funny, they can't help being anything less than hilarious all the fucking time.

Schnapple

If we can count fictional figures, Alan Partridge is surely up there?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh yes, Norm. Of course. As Twit 2 says, he belongs to that very rare breed of comedians who just have funny bones. The sort of person who could deliver a sincere, jokeless eulogy and still get people laughing, such is his innate hilarity. An accursed gift.

Bob Monkhouse. You might dismiss him as a Quiz Show host, but his stand up is exceptinal.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 15, 2019, 08:37:30 PM
Oh yes, Norm. Of course. As Twit 2 says, he belongs to that very rare breed of comedians who just have funny bones. The sort of person who could deliver a sincere, jokeless eulogy and still get people laughing, such is his innate hilarity. An accursed gift.

He even managed to get a roomful of comics rolling on the floor laughing by reading out intentionally bad jokes from a cheap joke book at a comedy roast.

This compilation of Norm telling guests that his trusty sidekick Adam is antisemitic is absolute gold. Especially this bit where he manages to derail everyone's most over-rated joke mechanic Jerry Seinfeld just as he's about to tell a jewish joke: https://youtu.be/6AL5NGY7AjI?t=183

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Captain Z on July 15, 2019, 05:28:16 PM
I have to disagree here in that Brown has managed to get worse by shifting focus to his non-PC garbage from all the mucky "me wife's clitoris" garbage.

Menu

Quote from: Schnapple on July 15, 2019, 08:32:43 PM
If we can count fictional figures, Alan Partridge is surely up there?

Yes first thing I thought of. Coogan as Partridge. Been around nearly 30 years with only slight dips in quality.

Twit 2

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 15, 2019, 09:58:08 PM
He even managed to get a roomful of comics rolling on the floor laughing by reading out intentionally bad jokes from a cheap joke book at a comedy roast.

This compilation of Norm telling guests that his trusty sidekick Adam is antisemitic is absolute gold. Especially this bit where he manages to derail everyone's most over-rated joke mechanic Jerry Seinfeld just as he's about to tell a jewish joke: https://youtu.be/6AL5NGY7AjI?t=183

Yeah the roast is a good example of how he can make anything funny. Personally, I really like his hacky observations because they're always just a bit off kilter, drenched in subtle, knowing layers of cleverness or just have wonderful turns of phrase. For example, this bit where he talks about disliking subtitled movies is such an obvious topic but he puts just enough of a slant on it to make it hilarious due to his delivery. What's amazing is it works as a piece of bland stand up in itself but also to the initiated who know he's enormously well-read in foreign literature, the irony pay off is also there. To be honest, Seinfeld is nowhere near his level when it comes to observational stand up.

https://youtu.be/GkH7Zp8b3a4

zomgmouse

Bill Bailey! Consistently coming up with very hilarious material show after show.

Autopsy Turvey

Twit 2

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 16, 2019, 01:17:04 AM
Bill Bailey! Consistently coming up with very hilarious material show after show.

Stopped watching his stuff a long time ago. I assume you're joking, though.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 16, 2019, 07:08:57 AM
Stopped watching his stuff a long time ago. I assume you're joking, though.

Definitely not - I've seen him every time he's come to Melbourne and it's been fantastic.

Brundle-Fly