Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most consistent comedy figures

Started by TheMonk, July 15, 2019, 02:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

dunelm

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 16, 2019, 02:40:34 PM
Definitely not - I've seen him every time he's come to Melbourne and it's been fantastic.

Bill Bailey has a reputation for not creating new material.

Bob Mortimer wins this one. Highly prolific, highly consistent.

zomgmouse

Quote from: dunelm on July 16, 2019, 03:04:11 PM
Bill Bailey has a reputation for not creating new material.

Dunno about that - he's repeated the odd song but mostly it's been totally new stuff each time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bobloblaw on July 15, 2019, 03:11:35 PM
I'd have said Whitehouse too, though he looks to have cashed in his chips with the Only Fools musical (not that I'd deny him creating it to top up his retirement fund)

Nah he fucked it when he started doing the Aviva adverts. Dead to me now.

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 15, 2019, 11:11:39 PM
Yeah the roast is a good example of how he can make anything funny. Personally, I really like his hacky observations because they're always just a bit off kilter, drenched in subtle, knowing layers of cleverness or just have wonderful turns of phrase. For example, this bit where he talks about disliking subtitled movies is such an obvious topic but he puts just enough of a slant on it to make it hilarious due to his delivery. What's amazing is it works as a piece of bland stand up in itself but also to the initiated who know he's enormously well-read in foreign literature, the irony pay off is also there. To be honest, Seinfeld is nowhere near his level when it comes to observational stand up.

https://youtu.be/GkH7Zp8b3a4

Crying at this. What a genius. The cat story in particular.

baptist

Harry Hill has always seemed pretty consistent in keeping to silliness and staying away from any topical material.

Sebastian Cobb

Simon Munnery has done about 30 years occupying the space he describes as 'somewhere between unfunny comedy and shit art' hasn't he?

choie

I nominate Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara for this list. Andrea Martin as well--and Ted Danson. I suppose he's mostly considered an actor rather than a comedy figure, but the man's been the lead (or co-lead) in three well-received sitcoms, one of which is among the best ever, so I feel he deserves consideration.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 15, 2019, 08:20:39 PM
Norm Macdonald and Bob Mortimer. Every sentence that leaves their mouths is funny, they can't help being anything less than hilarious all the fucking time.

I agree with this post. My two favourite people.

jsgibble

chveik

famethrowa

That bloke who does the honk of errands/mattress mattress bit... nothing if not consistent

grassbath

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 17, 2019, 02:22:59 AM
Crying at this. What a genius. The cat story in particular.

'He had a big promotion comin' up.'

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: baptist on July 17, 2019, 12:10:58 PM
Harry Hill has always seemed pretty consistent in keeping to silliness and staying away from any topical material.

That 'I Wanna Baby' stuff felt like a bit of a low point. What a sneering load of toss that was.

neveragain

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 17, 2019, 01:04:24 AM
Nah he fucked it when he started doing the Aviva adverts. Dead to me now.

Which ironically he was in one of the Aviva adverts.

Quote from: baptist on July 17, 2019, 12:10:58 PM

TV Burp was consistently funny for ages, then became consistently mediocre.