Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PlayStation Classic - £16 @ Amazon (Prime only)

Started by The Boston Crab, July 15, 2019, 04:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just a heads up for those who've been weighing up the PS Classic. Sixteen quid is fuck all for something incredibly easy to hack for PS1, SNES, MD and MAME/FBA games.

It's only for Amazon Prime subscribers but, anyway, just a heads up.

Thursday

Amazon workers are striking today you fucking Scabs.

Yeah, they said it won't come for like five days :(

Hope they can dig up some goblins to pack the shit up in an oversized box pronto.

madhair60

buntyman

These are great. Took me a while to get the hack working properly but there's no stopping me now. I bought it at a similarly cheap price a few weeks ago to mess around with it without the fear of breaking it which stopped me doing the same with the mini snes and nes. In doing so i've used it way more than either of those and have amassed an amazing library of old games. Everything up to the GBA works really well on it - I'm currenly enjoying Links Awakening DX on the Game Boy Color for the first time. The USB controllers are really nice too.

biggytitbo

I was going to say, £16 is probably worth it for 2 decentish usb controllers alone.

How easy is it to hack?

Apparently extremely easy now. It's a bit picky about which USB stick it will power correctly but if you get one of the recommended sticks, it's basically a case of copying some files to it and your roms and you're done.

Barry Admin

buntyman

Very. You just need to download some emulation software onto a compatibly USB stick and it just boots up off that. The usb ports are apparently quite low powered which means that there aren't many high capacity usb sticks that work with it but I eventually found a 64 GB one that did.

Mine is arriving today. Looking forward to playing some amazing PS1 shmups on it like Einhander, Dodonpachi, G-Darius and R-Type Leo. I've only ever played them (except DDP) emulated through a Fire Stick so really looking forward to the somewhat authentic effect.

Also keen to see if I can get FB Alpha running through it for the likes of Battle Garegga and Armed Police Batrider. Hopefully, I'll also be able to use my Mayflash adapter to get the arcade stick happening, too. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but where there's a will. It'll distract me for an hour before I just go back to playing Futari Black Label, anyway.

madhair60

Don't forget Gradius Gaiden, the actual best one.

And Harmful Park, why not.

Jerzy Bondov

why don't you see if you can get a brain running on it for yourself

Quote from: madhair60 on July 18, 2019, 12:04:43 PM
Don't forget Gradius Gaiden, the actual best one.

And Harmful Park, why not.

Good call. Will rip them from my original copies after lunch.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 18, 2019, 12:07:59 PM
why don't you see if you can get a brain running on it for yourself

Hats off to you, live by the sword and all that.

biggytitbo

Think i'd rather have one of these beauts with a dual shock

I bet some cunt has worked out how to hack that with an sd card full of roms too.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 18, 2019, 12:21:41 PM
Think i'd rather have one of these beauts with a dual shock

I bet some cunt has worked out how to hack that with an sd card full of roms too.

https://ps-io.com/

Pretty much set this up now. Playing the PS1 games through Retroarch gives you significant performance improvements which is absolutely embarrassing for Sony but great for us because it's very easy to do.

Amazing how shit the actual selection is out of the box but it's very easy to throw your bins on there and create a better library.

In terms of emulation, I've found the SNES and MD stuff very straightforward although Super Mario World seems a tiny bit jerky. I don't really want or need to play much on the SNES or MD though if I'm honest, beyond ALttP and SMK. FB Alpha (now FB Neo) games run like shit off a shovel. Arcade perfect, I'd say. That's massive for me, finally able to play Garegga, Progear and Dodonpachi with no noticeable input lag or performance issues.

Just need to get my arcade stick running on it now.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 18, 2019, 01:17:05 PM
https://ps-io.com/

I think that still needs some fairly extensive hardware modding in order to work, so still not the ideal solution unfortunately.

For myself I just bought a pre-chipped PS1 and burn discs for whatever I want to play, it's the old-fashioned solution but it works well enough

bgmnts

How do you get roms on this then? Just download ISOs onto a usb stick and plug it into the second controller port?

Basically yeah, look up Autobleem and it's a piece of piss.

magval

I found a database of what might be every PS1 game ever if anyone wants the link. Has the demo discs and everything.

Non Stop Dancer

Would someone be kind enough to pm me with info about where I can get roms these days? I had everything up to 16bit and MAME several computers ag but I'm not up on where you get this type of stuff from these days, and am scared of giving my computer the aids virus. I'd even be happy to buy a stick with everything on it if you can point me to a trusted seller. Thanks.

madhair60

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on July 23, 2019, 02:08:10 PM
Would someone be kind enough to pm me with info about where I can get roms these days? I had everything up to 16bit and MAME several computers ag but I'm not up on where you get this type of stuff from these days, and am scared of giving my computer the aids virus. I'd even be happy to buy a stick with everything on it if you can point me to a trusted seller. Thanks.

Vimms Lair

magval

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on July 23, 2019, 02:08:10 PM

Sent you a PM