Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix

Started by phantom_power, July 16, 2019, 06:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I seem to be able to access other country's Netflix libraries with my VPN again. Can anyone else do this? Have they stopped whatever workaround they had or have the VPNs got smarter?

surreal

I think it depends who you use - the US is probably better "protected" by netflix.  I can always get things like the Netherlands using NordVPN, whereas to get the US I need to use specific servers from them so it's a bit more of a faff

a duncandisorderly

slightly off-topic, but my mrs (in madrid) had to borrow my ipad to watch some shite or other that was only available on amazon prime for the UK. still in madrid, I told her ipad that it was a uk-based device, & the uk content magically appeared. maybe it's that easy...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 16, 2019, 10:46:54 AM
slightly off-topic, but my mrs (in madrid) had to borrow my ipad to watch some shite or other that was only available on amazon prime for the UK. still in madrid, I told her ipad that it was a uk-based device, & the uk content magically appeared. maybe it's that easy...

That's an EU 'digital single market' thing. You should be able to access your home library in any EU country as opposed to their local library, as it used to work on netflix.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/2/17187910/netflix-european-users-home-catalog-traveling

We had to implement a slightly mad implementation of this where you could access the content in every EU country but England.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2019, 11:00:08 AM
That's an EU 'digital single market' thing. You should be able to access your home library in any EU country as opposed to their local library, as it used to work on netflix.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/2/17187910/netflix-european-users-home-catalog-traveling

We had to implement a slightly mad implementation of this where you could access the content in every EU country but England.

ah- putting the IT into brexit?

NoSleep

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 16, 2019, 11:14:28 AM
ah- putting the IT into brexit?

Nah, that's probably pretty easy 'cos you just remove UK from the list of allowed countries (and IP ranges) you serve content to.

Although the EU rights ruling let us show things to [premium subscribers in] Europe we still had to honour the rights regarding who gets to show what in different UK regions.

phantom_power

Quote from: surreal on July 16, 2019, 10:23:42 AM
I think it depends who you use - the US is probably better "protected" by netflix.  I can always get things like the Netherlands using NordVPN, whereas to get the US I need to use specific servers from them so it's a bit more of a faff

First of all I just used the VPN built into Opera and it worked for US content and then I used NordVPN, again just using a random US VPN and it worked fine. Maybe I just got lucky