Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:46:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best newspaper description of a comedian

Started by Norton Canes, July 16, 2019, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Rowan Atkinson is always 'rubber-face funnyman' (or is that Phil Cool?) but they're a long way off beating this

'Skinhead laughter lout', priceless.

Alberon

For some reason I can only hear that in Alexei's voice doing one of his monologues to camera.

Wet Blanket

"Skinhead laughter lout"

PIC: Rare example of Sayle sporting hair.

a duncandisorderly

"tree-hugging dickensian mockney cock-monster"

how I'd describe r.brand if I was writing about him for a newspaper.

but is he a comedian?

Norton Canes

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 16, 2019, 12:00:56 PM
"tree-hugging dickensian mockney cock-monster"

how I'd describe r.brand if I was writing about him for a newspaper

We should turn this into a quiz thread.

DrGreggles

I'm sure Ed Gamble complained about a review calling him a "chubby-faced cheeky chappie" in his fat days.

lankyguy95

I remember Daniel Kitson talking about a newspaper that had described him as the "epitome of sexy ugly".

Captain Z

"Disgraced comedian Justin Lee Collins..."

Brundle-Fly

You don't read overweight laughter makers being described as 'roly-poly' anymore. Lazy TV critics in the late seventies must've been quite stumped for alternative patronising adjectives when it came to Les Dawson's protégés then?

Benjaminos

He'd only been locked up for public nuisance offences
One of which saw him beachcombing the Dee Estuary
Found a dead wading bird
Took it home, parcelled it up, and sent it off to the rubber-faced irritant Phil Cool
With a note inside which read: "Is this your Sanderling?"

Half Man Half Biscuit - National Shite Day

(not a newspaper, but I don't care)

Dusty Substance

I seem to remember Russel Brand on his Radio 2 show reading a story about him from that day's Sun and he was dubbed "randy oddball".

Venomous, bile-filled "funnyman"...

I'm sure I read that somewhere.

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2019, 02:40:18 PM
You don't read overweight laughter makers being described as 'roly-poly' anymore. Lazy TV critics in the late seventies must've been quite stumped for alternative patronising adjectives when it came to Les Dawson's protégés then?

It was always "larger than life comedienne Dawn French" in the nineties.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Even when they were referring to Jasper Carrott.

St_Eddie

It's a shame that Gervais adopted the description for his stand up show, therefore taking it back, but 'Chubby Funster' is great.

Utter Shit

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 17, 2019, 01:26:43 AM
It's a shame that Gervais adopted the description for his stand up show, therefore taking it back, but 'Chubby Funster' is great.

FUCK SAKE this would also explain why my Google searches for "Cuddly Funster" came up with nothing.

Not confined to comedians, but this Twitter account is fantastic for stuff like this. Massive fan of some escaped penguins being labelled "waddling vagrants" and Peter Crouch lauded as an "affable beanpole".

https://twitter.com/secondmentions

SteveDave

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2019, 02:40:18 PM

3, 4, 5, 1, 2

They're all dead now.

clarkgwent

Quote from: Captain Z on July 16, 2019, 01:28:33 PM
"Disgraced comedian Justin Lee Collins..."

A pal o mine suggested (before the disgrace) "exasperated wurzel Justin Lee Collins"

non capisco

I was watching an old Les Dawson episode of Blankety Blank on Youtube not long ago and he introduced Matthew Kelly with "He's like an enthusiastic mop."