Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alexi Sayle, 1990 TV series

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, July 16, 2019, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Did anyone else remember this and like it-or not like it?

rasta-spouse

Good this, liked it less when Linehan and Matthews took over the writing gig though.

BlodwynPig

All his shows were magical but this probably the pinnacle.

Well the one with Egbert and Bill

BlodwynPig

It was The Alexei Sayle show with Egbert & Bill, wasn't it... the one after this and before merry go-round?

DrGreggles

Was 1990 the final series of Stuff?
Not as good as s1 and 2, but still a great show.

Absorb the anus burn

All three series of Stuff are magical to me.

petril

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 16, 2019, 07:03:31 PM
It was The Alexei Sayle show with Egbert & Bill, wasn't it... the one after this and before merry go-round?
The All New Alexei Sayle Show.

can't for the life of me remember which one of his seriesesesssseseseses did William Rees-Mogg now. was it All New or Stuff?

petril

here's the first time Peter "A Kick Up The Eighties" Capaldi did time travel. those titles have stuck with me all this time

Remember that send-up of the Mickey Mouse Club, with Alexi dancing with Mickey Mouse ears amidst kids, to a song which contains the  lyrics 'he is a big fat bastard'?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Blatant Monty Python rip off ( replete with  Deayton's ersatz Cleese ).

Shaky

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 17, 2019, 06:21:36 AM
Remember that send-up of the Mickey Mouse Club, with Alexi dancing with Mickey Mouse ears amidst kids, to a song which contains the  lyrics 'he is a big fat bastard'?

That's at the beginning of the clip Darles Chickens posted upthread.

sponk

Couldn't stand what I've seen of Stuff. As far as I could tell it contained one joke, which involved juxtaposing something very intellectual and highbrow with something philistine, just reworded dozens of times.

Alberon

Stuff was fantastic.
The All-New Show was very good.
I didn't get on with Merry-Go-Round much at the time, but I think I'd like it more now.

He's doing a third series on Radio 4 of his Imaginary Sandwich Bar. It's a very good listen and I really recommend it.

steveh

Merry Go Round is for the most part more intellectually amusing than laugh out loud funny. The main problem with it is the rants are written like a humorous newspaper column rather than having real passion behind them as you would get in Alexei's earlier work. Oh and the theme song is probably the most annoying of any comedy series ever. Directed by Edgar Wright so visually the actual sketches are quite inventive in style.

I remember Bobby Chariot featuring too heavily in Merry-Go-Round, although I remember being very fond of the first episode, even if the others are pretty much a mental blur.

Was I missing the point of Bobby Chariot?  It seemed like total padding material to me; an excuse to crowbar in low-quality material, the joke being that... it's low-quality material?  I don't get it.  And the character wasn't lovable enough to instil any sense of pathos.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: steveh on July 17, 2019, 01:36:52 PM
Oh and the theme song is probably the most annoying of any comedy series ever.

I love it. That opening makes me laugh every time

petril

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 17, 2019, 01:49:16 PM
I love it. That opening makes me laugh every time

the glockenspiel version that got used as incidental was sublime. Wish I could find a clean, full version

DrGreggles

Quote from: Darles Chickens on July 17, 2019, 01:47:20 PM
I remember Bobby Chariot featuring too heavily in Merry-Go-Round, although I remember being very fond of the first episode, even if the others are pretty much a mental blur.

Was I missing the point of Bobby Chariot?  It seemed like total padding material to me; an excuse to crowbar in low-quality material, the joke being that... it's low-quality material?  I don't get it.  And the character wasn't lovable enough to instil any sense of pathos.

I loved Bobby Chariot.
Maybe my favourite thing on any of Alexei's TV shows.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Darles Chickens on July 17, 2019, 01:47:20 PM

I think the pathos occurred in the very final Chariot where he was alone in the studio, iirc.

In the very final Chariot, he's doing a great gig at a hospital or somewhere, when a pilot decides to suicide-crash the plane into the venue.

[file under: things you probably couldn't make jokes about any more]

Edit: I found the clip here - it was in a student union bar.  Seeing it again, the ending was whimsical and a silly take on disaster striking just as everything seems to be working out; but the horrors it evokes now, having happened for real just a few years back...  The world didn't seem so fucked up in the late 90s...

gatchamandave

Quote from: sponk on July 17, 2019, 11:10:50 AM
Couldn't stand what I've seen of Stuff. As far as I could tell it contained one joke, which involved juxtaposing something very intellectual and highbrow with something philistine, just reworded dozens of times.

...an' e's a fat bastard an' all. Probably start on about lizards in a minute. Let's nick 'im.

biggytitbo

The theme tune to All New is brilliant, as are the titles.

Rizla

Quote from: steveh on July 17, 2019, 01:36:52 PM
. Oh and the theme song is probably the most annoying of any comedy series ever.
It's a cover version of a song by Wild Man Fischer, a Sunset Strip busker with serious mental health issues who made an LP with Frank Zappa in the late '60s. What the hell do they teach you kids in school these days?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqR1Rql5r8

Rizla

I liked how in Stuff, the sketches seemed to be filmed before a studio audience, but the stand-up bits were all done on location and presumably shown to the audience for laugh reactions, pretty much the opposite of how a show like this would normally be made. I wonder how they came to that decision - did Alexei feel less than confident about getting big laughs with the monologues or was he just being different and original? Anyway, at the point it was shown, I don't think I'd ever seen anything as funny as "Steamboat Fatty", or the Juliet Bravo fake ending. Dying laughing.  The All New Alexei Sayle Show and Merry Go Round were definite drops in quality but the Marshall/Renwick stuff holds up brilliantly I reckon.

gib

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 16, 2019, 11:28:11 PM
here's the first time Peter "A Kick Up The Eighties" Capaldi did time travel. those titles have stuck with me all this time

really enjoyed these