Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:59:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

We (not me) landed on the moon

Started by kalowski, July 16, 2019, 09:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Apologies if there is a thread on this, I couldn't see it.

It is still incredible to me that humans have been to, and stepped on, the moon. The fucking incredible power of science and math(s). They got in a little capsule on top of a massive bomb that blew them into space, and they landed on the moon. I don't care what Prince says, this is the most amazing thing that humans have ever done.

50 years ago this Saturday!

chveik

did we now

your not fooling anyone pal

BlodwynPig

You can do anything with science and maths

sponk

Yeah I have nothing important to say but it is completely mind-blowing, especially considering that flight had only been achieved a few decades earlier and NASA was only founded nine years earlier. Bananas.

Captain Z

They say there was a thread about this in Picture Box, but personally I don't believe there is enough evidence that it was ever posted.

kalowski

Quote from: sponk on July 16, 2019, 09:54:05 PM
Yeah I have nothing important to say but it is completely mind-blowing, especially considering that flight had only been achieved a few decades earlier and NASA was only founded nine years earlier. Bananas.
It is bananas. I love watching the faces of the people in mission control as they realise it's happened.

That has it's dark side, of course, as BBC4 showed the doc this week where Challenger exploded, and you see it through the faces of the guys in the tower. Harrowing.

kittens

if human beings landed on the moon where all the moon men. i mean realistically you would expect to be walking down the street and seeing moon men. not saying it didn't happen just pointing out it's funny that there isn't ANY Mon men anywhere.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: kittens on July 16, 2019, 10:03:48 PM
if human beings landed on the moon where all the moon men. i mean realistically you would expect to be walking down the street and seeing moon men. not saying it didn't happen just pointing out it's funny that there isn't ANY Mon men anywhere.

you've just ripped off my theory about aliens. from your own fucking aliens thread of all places. i mean granted i ripped it off from stephen "the hawk" hawking but is he going to call me out for it? is he fuck mate. cunt's dead. just like you will be when i get hold of you

Cloud

But we're so shit at everything now, there's a disturbing number of people who simply can't imagine that it was ever true

Captain Z

Incredible to think that the entire rocket and landing module could only be controlled by a single Casio calculator.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

As much computing power in the whole Saturn V rocket as there is in half a Tamagotchi.

bgmnts

Shoulders?-Stomach!

FDR's 2nd New Deal
I Have A Dream
Bobby Kennedy's presidential run
'We do this and other things not because they are easy but because they are hard'
One giant leap
Star Trek - 'no one may kill a man - not for any reason - it cannot be condoned'
Tear down this wall
Arafat + Rabin shake hands
Yes We Can

All lost.

The US, an utter toilet. Momentary glimpses of another better life utterly eradicated by the braindead toilet populace and its doomed every man for himself frontier mentality its ghoulish corporate oligarchy and army of media servants.

sponk

Man may not have landed on the moon, but a right cross definitely landed on his face.

mothman

hummingofevil

As someone with a degree in Physics who is not arrogant enought to think I can debunk all the it-never-happened arguments (but had plenty of lecturers and peers who could) I still believe that the strongest argument for why the American's definitely did it is a political one; the Russians agree with them.

This is from RT and is in Russian and Spanish.

https://twitter.com/ActualidadRT/status/1150808492715806720

The Russians had exactly the same radar and tracking capability as the Yanks and if the Russians had any evidence that it was faked then it would have been the biggest cold war propaganda win ever. If the Russians said it happened it happened.

No back answers.

sponk

Maybe the cold war never happened

imitationleather

The Russians and USA actually got on well in private. The Cold War was created to distract the public because Twitter hadn't been invented yet.

shiftwork2

On the one hand, physics, mathematics and aeronautics came together for an achievement that even now seems utterly impossible and outlandish.  On the other hand, humanity began to believe its own hype that it was summat.

On balance - quits.

kittens

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 16, 2019, 10:05:53 PM
you've just ripped off my theory about aliens. from your own fucking aliens thread of all places. i mean granted i ripped it off from stephen "the hawk" hawking but is he going to call me out for it? is he fuck mate. cunt's dead. just like you will be when i get hold of you

come at me bitch i realised aliens ain't exist on my own with my EYES. maybe should take an eyes test for once and see aliens ain't real bitch for once in your life with your eyes.

EDIT: aliens ain't exist bitch look at it with your eyes bitch for once in your life.

EDIT TO ADD: why not try looking at it for once with your eyes bitch and see aliens ain't even real.

Psmith

It only took outstanding skill and courage though.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 16, 2019, 10:23:06 PM
FDR's 2nd New Deal
I Have A Dream
Bobby Kennedy's presidential run
'We do this and other things not because they are easy but because they are hard'
One giant leap
Star Trek - 'no one may kill a man - not for any reason - it cannot be condoned'
Tear down this wall
Arafat + Rabin shake hands
Yes We Can

We didn't start the fire...

Icehaven

The Moon can go fuck itself today as it took me 3/4 of an hour to set my telescope up to watch the eclipse last night and I'd just lost all enthusiasm for it by the time it finally worked. Would have been better off with a pair of Fisher-Price binoculars ffs.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 16, 2019, 10:23:06 PM

Wasn't that The Tomorrow People?

Bazooka

I don't believe for a second buzz light year and his cronies landed on  the moon. They were just pissing about in a spaceship having a laugh, and the moon crashed underneath them. The moon landed under man.

a duncandisorderly

leaving the magnetosphere's the dangerous bit. one decent-sized solar flare & you're fucked.

buzby will be along in a minute to elaborate, but in the meantime, there was a lot of good fortune involved besides the math(s) & science & gasoline.

Alberon

Vice President Pence is quite keen on manned space travel and he's behind the push to get men and women back on the moon by 2024, which, absolutely coincidentally, is the end of Trump's second term.

I'm dubious about NASA being able to do it as so much of its budget is bled off into pork barrel projects that it's hard to see it achieving that goal. But if NASA can't the likes of SpaceX can and the slow march of China into space will spur the Americans on because they won't want to lose the prime lunar locations in the next land grab.

Small Man Big Horse

One of my adult French students claimed that the moon landings were fake, and I lost all of the respect / erection that I had for her instantly. And I've not had a respect / erection since.

Replies From View

If I landed on the moon I reckon I'd sprain my ankle really badly.

Ergo nobody has ever landed on the moon.