Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:52:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

We (not me) landed on the moon

Started by kalowski, July 16, 2019, 09:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Keebleman on July 19, 2019, 09:30:39 AM
BBC have got a new clip of James Burke reminiscing about the live broadcast he fronted with Cliff Michelmore and Patrick Moore 50 years ago.  He was a regular on TV until about 1980, then just vanished.  If he had stuck around he could, possibly, be enjoying something like Attenborough-style status now (though he was never held in equal esteem at the time - Clive James, for example, hated him).  He looks and sounds in good shape, so what the hell happened to him?
Yeah, I loved James Burke. I'd like to see some of his stuff again.

Mobbd

Anyone else think it's weird how little coverage there is concerning the fifty-year anniversary of landing on the fucking moon?

It's not that there's nothing (because there's something) but y'know.

Ambient Sheep

Certainly the BBC seem to be doing less this time round than they did ten years ago; they showed several fascinating docs back then that they haven't now.  Conversely ITV and Channel 4 seem to be doing more this time round.

In case you're not aware there's been some limited discussion of Apollo TV stuff over here in Picture Box.

Alberon

Something from the Fucking Telegraph. It's mostly behind a paywall, but all the important information is there in front of it.

First clear picture of Neil Armstrong's face while walking on Moon uncovered

QuoteThe only clear picture showing the face of Neil Armstrong while walking on the Moon has been uncovered by an amateur photographer.

Andy Saunders, 45, a property developer from Cheshire, discovered that Armstrong paused long enough after first stepping onto the lunar surface, that his face was visible in several frames of high definition video footage released by Nasa.

Taking advantage of photo-enhancing technology usually only used by astronomers to improve the resolution of far away planets, he overlaid the stills on top of each other to reveal the recognisable features of the world's first moonwalker.

shiftwork2

Quote from: kalowski on July 19, 2019, 03:04:17 PM
Yeah, I loved James Burke. I'd like to see some of his stuff again.

Yeah, me too.  Connections was a big influence on me as a kid.

Clive James on the other hand should shut his Footlights cakehole and get back to smirking at foreigners.

José

i'm on't moon right now. it's shite.

vanilla.coffee

For those into wrist watches - How the Omega Speedmaster became the watch the Apollo astronauts wore on their way to the moon.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedmaster-became-moonwatch/

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Keebleman on July 19, 2019, 09:30:39 AM
BBC have got a new clip of James Burke reminiscing about the live broadcast he fronted with Cliff Michelmore and Patrick Moore 50 years ago.  He was a regular on TV until about 1980, then just vanished.  If he had stuck around he could, possibly, be enjoying something like Attenborough-style status now (though he was never held in equal esteem at the time - Clive James, for example, hated him).  He looks and sounds in good shape, so what the hell happened to him?

for many years, I thought he'd been one of the founders of the discovery channel, only finding out that this wasn't the case when I came to work for discovery myself.
so yeah- bit of a career chasm... a few half-baked apps, not much else.

Old Nehamkin

I noticed that BBC1 showed Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death last night. Seems like they missed a massive open goal by not choosing A Grand Day Out instead. BUT NEVER MIND.

Sherringford Hovis

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 20, 2019, 10:30:18 AM
I noticed that BBC1 showed Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death last night. Seems like they missed a massive open goal by not choosing A Grand Day Out instead. BUT NEVER MIND.

Even The Wrong Trousers were "ex-NASA".  Oh and also neither A Grand Day Out nor The Wrong Trousers are rubbish, so that's another reason to pick them over A Matter of Loaf and Death.

Captain Z

Quote from: Alberon on July 19, 2019, 10:50:11 PM
First clear picture of Neil Armstrong's face while walking on Moon uncovered

Proof it must have been faked, it's impossible to walk outside on the moon with your face uncovered. I've seen Total Recall.

mothman

Head Gardener

Flatulent Fox

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 16, 2019, 09:53:17 PM
You can do anything with science and maths
Apart from Science and Maths.