Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,483
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2020 - Jetpacks for Goalposts

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 16, 2019, 10:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Karen Carney is about as erudite as a peat bog but with no less emissions. Couldn't they have chosen an ex-pro who can string a sentence together.

Danger Man

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 01, 2019, 04:10:16 PM
We did the hard work and of course fail to break down the shittest team in the competition. Replay guaranteed

Looks like they are going to go down 6-0 in the last 30 minutes.

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 01, 2019, 04:18:10 PM
Karen Carney is about as erudite as a peat bog but with no less emissions. Couldn't they have chosen an ex-pro who can string a sentence together.

"I hit the ball first time and there it was in the back of the net."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Danger Man on December 01, 2019, 04:28:41 PM
Looks like they are going to go down 6-0 in the last 30 minutes.

Well now I can gloat about our victory over your lot. Although you did us in the league and look like promotion candidates.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Captain Z

Stunning Grealish goal.

#Olesatthewheel

Ferris

Still plenty of time to throw this away.

Great White Ape

This is the best chance in a long time we have of beating Man U, and yet I'm sure they'll find some way to win the psychological edge (or get awarded a penalty) over us. Has ever been thus.

Come on, Villa!

Ferris

Quote from: Captain Z on December 01, 2019, 04:45:52 PM
Stunning Grealish goal.

#Olesatthewheel

Not that impressive, I score those on Fifa all the time.

Quote from: Great White Ape on December 01, 2019, 05:22:17 PM
This is the best chance in a long time we have of beating Man U, and yet I'm sure they'll find some way to win the psychological edge (or get awarded a penalty) over us. Has ever been thus.

Come on, Villa!

It'll be a shit own goal or something. Twas ever thus.

Great White Ape

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 01, 2019, 05:24:37 PMIt'll be a shit own goal or something. Twas ever thus.

We've got that out the way already ha ha. (Rashford's goal was awarded to Heaton.)

Nothing to discount a brace of own goals, I suppose.

Great White Ape

Great White Ape

Come on, Dean, make some subs. Why does he keep refusing to do this?

kalowski

Quote from: bgmnts on December 01, 2019, 04:33:51 PM
"I hit the ball first time and there it was in the back of the net."
I think I say this at least once a month.

Ferris

Quote from: Great White Ape on December 01, 2019, 06:09:06 PM
Come on, Dean, make some subs. Why does he keep refusing to do this?

Surprised Lansbury got a run out!

I would have taken the point so I'm happy enough with that. Got to get the results from teams around you in the relegation battle.

bgmnts

Pretty sure the gap from relegation to 8th is like 6 points or something to be fair. Its a weird looking table at the moment.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on December 01, 2019, 06:37:23 PM
Pretty sure the gap from relegation to 8th is like 6 points or something to be fair. Its a weird looking table at the moment.

Well I won't keep banging on about it, but it's the direct result of financial doping. Big money clubs will beat small money clubs, and the finances are gravitating one way, which makes the league more and more one-sided.

The points gap between 1st and 2nd is the same as the difference between the UEFA places (5th) and the relegation zone. How long will the prem allow this to keep happening? It is starting to look embarrassing.

Again - I won't keep banging on about it, but the NHL, NBA, and MLB all saw this happening and made adjustments so every team goes through competitive/non-competitive windows. Not for any great altruism, but they figured an increased revenue from 20 teams is better than declining revenues for everyone outside the top 4.

bgmnts

But surely Spurs and Man Utd are two of the richest teams in the league and they are in the mix.

Plus Leicester are in second place at the moment, nothing really makes sense.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on December 01, 2019, 07:09:06 PM
But surely Spurs and Man Utd are two of the richest teams in the league and they are in the mix.

Plus Leicester are in second place at the moment, nothing really makes sense.

Well that's where my deranged ranting falls apart. To paraphrase Mr S Lee - you can prove anything with facts.

(Though nobody expects spurs/man utd to stay in their current states, and 2 mega rich clubs squandering their golden opportunities doesn't negate the fact that they had those opportunities in the first place. How much have man utd spent on transfers in the last few years? And they're still able to bring huge transfer fees to the table year after year because of the structural setup of premier league football).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 01, 2019, 07:17:20 PM
Well that's where my deranged ranting falls apart. To paraphrase Mr S Lee - you can prove anything with facts.

I think you are largely cprrect

Ferris

Danger Man

Generally a final league table will show how the money was spent with maybe one or two teams doing better/worse than expected.

Look at my beloved Wycombe in League One. Currently top of the table and I'd like to think that's because we have a manager who has had seven years to work out what he was doing.

But we had an American millionaire come on board a few months ago and his money has made things a lot easier.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There are other factors which have a significant bearing on performance:

- Quality of the manager
- Maturity of tenure (ie. has the manager gone rotten yet and lost the dressing room, do they need a season to bed in)
- End of an era, whether that's a long term manager or players leaving or retiring
- Injuries
- Star players
- Presumably many other things

It's more that money will mask a hell of a lot of problems stemming from the above. Man Utd, for example, will never go down while they have so much cash (or, to put it another way, while they are allowed to service so much debt). This is about as bad as it will ever get for them.

By the same token, when you have several very well financed teams, the above factors starts having a bearing again as the advantage is less. Mourinho couldn't buy his way to the title, and he peaked with Man Utd during his usual 2/3 year cycle, but it wasn't as much of a peak as Man City who had a head start with a better manager and a more settled squad hungry for success.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 01, 2019, 09:28:43 PM

- Quality of the manager
- Maturity of tenure (ie. has the manager gone rotten yet and lost the dressing room, do they need a season to bed in)
- End of an era, whether that's a long term manager or players leaving or retiring
- Injuries
- Star players

It's more that money will mask a hell of a lot of problems stemming from the above. Man Utd, for example, will never go down while they have so much cash (or, to put it another way, while they are allowed to service so much debt). This is about as bad as it will ever get for them.

By the same token, when you have several very well financed teams, the above factors starts having a bearing again as the advantage is less. Mourinho couldn't buy his way to the title, and he peaked with Man Utd during his usual 2/3 year cycle, but it wasn't as much of a peak as Man City who had a head start with a better manager and a more settled squad hungry for success.

Didn't Mourinho and Guardiola arrive at the same time?

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 01, 2019, 09:28:43 PM

- Quality of the manager
- Injuries
- Star players

Agree with all this, still think money is ultimately the deciding factor. How do you get managers/star players etc? Overpay so that smaller teams can't compete