Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:39:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2020 - Jetpacks for Goalposts

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 16, 2019, 10:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 01, 2019, 10:04:09 PM
Agree with all this, still think money is ultimately the deciding factor. How do you get managers/star players etc? Overpay so that smaller teams can't compete
All the TV money slushing about does mean that the "smaller" clubs can afford to hike up the rates for their best players. In the case of Leicester, they were able to sting United for £80m for Maguire and end up looking far the better team from wiser investments, presumably through better scouting.

And I suspect if United hadn't actually, for once, done a bit of canny business by getting Dan James for £15m, they wouldn't be far off the relegation spots by now - that said, no surprise if there's a change of manager by this time next week.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteHow do you get managers/star players etc? Overpay so that smaller teams can't compete

On the way up, I guess. Kante was at Leicester same time as Mahrez.

But that misses the point. Money can separate you from the rest and insulate you against the worst outcomes, but there are now several clubs on a similar big money footing in England and as a consequence the decisions and wider management of the club suddenly take on more significance too. The minor differences between Liverpool and Man City last season were to do with things other than money. Money was why they up there to begin with, no doubt.

phes

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 01, 2019, 10:16:04 PM
All the TV money slushing about does mean that the "smaller" clubs can afford to hike up the rates for their best players. In the case of Leicester, they were able to sting United for £80m for Maguire and end up looking far the better team from wiser investments, presumably through better scouting.

And I suspect if United hadn't actually, for once, done a bit of canny business by getting Dan James for £15m, they wouldn't be far off the relegation spots by now - that said, no surprise if there's a change of manager by this time next week.

Ridiculous business that. Sitting on Soyuncu for a year while United conspired to pay four times the price of Soyunchu for Leicester's third best center back

phes

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 01, 2019, 09:34:56 PM
Didn't Mourinho and Guardiola arrive at the same time?

There was a lengthy article somewhere or other around the time that Guardiola signed that predicted a long period of insignificance for United . It discussed in great detail how united had failed at almost every single level to employ any kind of strategy to keep up with city, from backroom staff, facilities, youth set ups at every level, players, managers etc. Everything was in place and Guardiola was the man they'd been planning for. Mourinho took over a train-wreck of a club by comparison

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 01, 2019, 10:33:46 PM
On the way up, I guess. Kante was at Leicester same time as Mahrez.

And where are they both now? Poached for loadsamoney.

But that misses the point. Money can separate you from the rest and insulate you against the worst outcomes, but there are now several clubs on a similar big money footing in England and as a consequence the decisions and wider management of the club suddenly take on more significance too. The minor differences between Liverpool and Man City last season were to do with things other than money. Money was why they up there to begin with, no doubt.

Absolutely agree with this, especially the point about insulation. That's what I was getting at when raising the spectre of Kagawa/Lukaku/Di Maria/Mkhitaryan/Sanchez etc etc etc.

You can keep getting it wrong, and it doesn't matter because the money (a limited resource for most clubs) is effectively infinite for a certain few. It's like buying a thousand raffle tickets when you have 10 grand in your pocket versus buying 3 with the only fiver you have in the world.

Sure, with the small budget you could pick the right players and win big, but in the long run on a macro scale, you will lose. That's the way of it, and you are seeing that in the league now. You have teams with better scouting and a smarter approach making mugs of the bigger boys on certain transactions, but they only highlight the gulf in finances and I doubt they'll be able to keep it up long term. Plus big clubs don't care if they get mugged off because they can just spend a squillion quid next transfer window on overpaid proven talent. There's no consequence on wasting huge sums of cash that would bankrupt any other club.

That'll keep them in the top 6, and keep the money coming in. Combine that with a competent manager, lots of advertising revenue from the Far East, and some standout performances from very expensive players, and they'll challenge for the title (those differences like your man city vs Liverpool example above). If these mega-clubs don't have those factors, then who cares because they'll still stand head and shoulders above other clubs financially, and realistically that won't change in the next decade or more.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phes on December 01, 2019, 11:32:00 PM
Ridiculous business that. Sitting on Soyuncu for a year while United conspired to pay four times the price of Soyunchu for Leicester's third best center back
Well, they knew Maguire was on his way, as United (and I think City) were sniffing around the year before and scouted for a replacement ahead of time - like I said, they seem to be a sensibly run club. They brought in Evans too, for £3.5m, which has been another smart bit of business for them. Compare that to United spunking some absurd amount on Fred, who I assume named himself after the dog, judging by the way he plays.

chveik

lil rat wins ballon de oro

where's ronalado?

Ferris

Deanjam

holyzombiejesus

DrGreggles

Fulham v Aston Villa and Preston v Norwich would both be good ties, if anyone gave a fuck about the FA Cup any more.

bgmnts

Why are all 3rd round ties kicking off at 15:01?

Ferris

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 02, 2019, 07:56:24 PM
Fulham v Aston Villa and Preston v Norwich would both be good ties, if anyone gave a fuck about the FA Cup any more.

I have a feeling we (Villa) will field a youth squad because the focus is staying up this season.

DrGreggles

As will Norwich, whereas Fulham and Preston will do the same because they're pushing for promotion.

BlodwynPig

As will the refereeing team as they've got shopping to do

DrGreggles

Clattenberg's return!

That's what I call having the shits anyway..

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 03, 2019, 12:42:28 AM
I have a feeling we (Villa) will field a youth squad because the focus is staying up this season.
Do you think they'll put out the youth team when you meet Liverpool's youth team in the League Cup quarters in a couple of weeks? Might be a waste, given there's a decent chance you'll make the final if you get United or Colchester in the semis.

Chollis

wanted to play the dinner ladies and get bombed out in the 3rd round as is tradition under Klopp but we'll actually have to field a decent team. FA cup or not we cannot be losing to Everton at Anfield for the first time this century

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 03, 2019, 07:42:56 AM
Do you think they'll put out the youth team when you meet Liverpool's youth team in the League Cup quarters in a couple of weeks? Might be a waste, given there's a decent chance you'll make the final if you get United or Colchester in the semis.
Colchester went out to Coventry....

DrGreggles

Colchester have subsequently sacked their Christmas party organiser.

Beagle 2

Can somebody explain why Amazon have got two days worth of midweek matches all on at the same time?

imitationleather

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 03, 2019, 04:10:44 PM
Can somebody explain why Amazon have got two days worth of midweek matches all on at the same time?

It's the future.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on December 03, 2019, 03:59:00 PM
Colchester went out to Coventry....
I was talking about the League Cup, not FA.

Bennett Brauer

Eastleigh v Wrexham tonight in the National League, the beginning of the second stage of Wrexham's promotion push. The first stage was lulling other teams into a false sense of security.

bgmnts

They're only 24 points off top spot to be fair.

I remember being able to play as Wrexham in the mid 00s Fifas, and I did every time. Those were the days!

BlodwynPig

Cwmbran have more points than Wrexham this season

bgmnts

Well to be fair they play in Gwent County League or some shit like that.

Cwmbran Town FC has the best mission statement though:

QuoteIt is the intention of Cwmbrân Town Association Football Club to give every individual the opportunity to play football, at all age levels, to progress to a standard they enjoy, in a friendly, sporting, thriving community.

BlodwynPig

How thriving is Cwmbran?

How thriving is any community in Wales?