Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2020 - Jetpacks for Goalposts

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 16, 2019, 10:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 11, 2019, 06:12:59 PM
this Chelsea XI looks pretty crap on paper. front three of Barkley, Mount, and Abraham? That's Champo level.

Tammy Abraham was a goal machine in the champo though, he'll be 15 a season in the prem easy

sevendaughters

Lordofthefiles

Chelsea already rolling out the alibis.
We couldn't buy any players, Frank is a new manager, those women had already been raped and murdered when we went into the room, etc, etc.

imitationleather

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 11, 2019, 06:26:22 PM
Tammy Abraham was a goal machine in the champo though, he'll be 15 a season in the prem easy

lol

Anyway I thought Chelsea looked better organised than Man Utd. Didn't see the second half but can't picture what the fuck went down for it to finish 4:0. Man Utd are poor, poor, poor. They're not going to be winning many games 4:0 this season.

Chelsea must be thinking they might struggle for the top half of the table this time around.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on August 11, 2019, 07:45:12 PM
lol

Was he dog dirt? Didn't watch the game - on an enforced sports ban while in London which is fair enough

Jasha

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 11, 2019, 06:26:22 PM

20+ for Bristol City too a couple of seasons ago, 5 at Swansea in the premier League

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 11, 2019, 07:51:17 PM
Was he dog dirt? Didn't watch the game - on an enforced sports ban while in London which is fair enough

Loved him at Bristol City. Not so much now

BlodwynPig

lol

Anyway I thought Chelsea looked better organised than Man Utd. Didn't see the second half but can't picture what the fuck went down for it to finish 4:0. Man Utd are poor, poor, poor. They're not going to be winning many games 4:0 this season.

Chelsea must be thinking they might struggle for the top half of the table this time around.

Nervously looking over your shoulder already?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: imitationleather on August 11, 2019, 07:45:12 PMAnyway I thought Chelsea looked better organised than Man Utd. Didn't see the second half but can't picture what the fuck went down for it to finish 4:0. Man Utd are poor, poor, poor. They're not going to be winning many games 4:0 this season.
My guess is that they may well win a few games 4-0, but take an equal amount of drubbings too. Maguire won't save them every week like he did today - but then there's also a few players who can (when they feel like it) turn on a bit of class to create a goal, like Pogba did today to make it 3-0. But for most of the first half, United were carrying a fair amount of passengers.

kalowski

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 11, 2019, 09:56:48 PM
My guess is that they may well win a few games 4-0, but take an equal amount of drubbings too. Maguire won't save them every week like he did today - but then there's also a few players who can (when they feel like it) turn on a bit of class to create a goal, like Pogba did today to make it 3-0. But for most of the first half, United were carrying a fair amount of passengers.
Nor the woodwork.

imitationleather

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 11, 2019, 07:51:17 PM

I just think when you're trying to be a top four team having a striker who has only really ever played consistently in the Championship is not going to go well.

Based on the weekend's fixtures the starkness in quality between Liverpool, Man City, then Spurs, then Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd is even more than I thought it would be. I guess it will change as new signings settle in and that but so far it's a yaaaaawn fest that I shall watch every weekend as though my life depends on it.

EOLAN

Think it will be tough for Abraham. 15 goals a season certainly seems on the high side even if he is the focal point of their attack. The other top Championship scorers from last season; Pukki, Maupay, Gayle, Rodriguez and Sharp also in the Premier League. I'd probably give slightly higher than evens odds that at least 1 will hit 15 goals including Abraham.
For now I go for Pukki being top of the bunch. Nabbing quite a few in draws and defeats.

The Culture Bunker

I thought Newcastle might have sold Gayle to some Championship side - maybe Bruce rates him? Not sure if West Brom wanted to keep him or not before they went with Charlie Austin - who, if he stays fit, could potentially score 30 league goals at that level.

EOLAN

Think Gayle didn't want to go back down the Championship. Scuppering any agreements with Leeds or West Brom. Would have him at bottom of list of those listed top Championship scorers for the Premier League.

Jasha

Quote from: EOLAN on August 12, 2019, 08:10:59 AM
Think it will be tough for Abraham. 15 goals a season certainly seems on the high side even if he is the focal point of their attack.

He'll score double figures but it will be at Norwich/Brighton/Sheffield not Liverpool/City/Spurs

Norton Canes

Man Utd are poor, poor, poor. They're not going to be winning many games 4:0 this season

Do many teams ever? Man City and Liverpool were streets ahead of the rest last season and only won league matches by a four-goal margin half a dozen times apiece.

Utter Shit

That was such a weird game yesterday. Both teams were fairly shit with moments of quality, yet one team comes out with a heavy win while the other takes a pasting. Chelsea must have been gutted to be behind at half time, having dominated the game and been very unlucky to score on a couple of occasions, but their defending in the second half was just so bad, and in such basic ways. Wasn't impressed with United, though Maguire and Wan Bissaka did well. Mount was great for Chelsea too, but the defence was appalling.

As for us, it was a little too close for comfort but it's pretty much how our games tended to go last season - dominate possession but get caught on the break, continue to dominate the game while not looking particularly threatening, finally make the breakthrough and then go on to win comfortably when our confidence is back. Don't think we played particularly well - when I was thinking of choices for man of the match I could only really come up with Villa players (Mings, Engels, McGinn) - and we will need to be much better against City next week.

Despite the heavy defeat I thought Norwich were great to watch on Friday, can't wait to see more of them this season.

Side note: West Brom announced their signing of Austin at 3:16.

EOLAN

So after my week of glory-hunting soaring; where are all the Alty, Tranmere, Port Vale and updates this week. Being thrown back in with the also rans of football with West Brom; it was relatively sedate against Millwall. Didn't even get any Millwall fans suggesting I was going to get my effing head kicked in, never mind actually following through on that. Great bunch of lads. Struggled to break down a well organised defence. Hopefully Austin can provide some firepower up front. 

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 12, 2019, 12:09:21 PM
That was such a weird game yesterday. Both teams were fairly shit with moments of quality, yet one team comes out with a heavy win while the other takes a pasting. Chelsea must have been gutted to be behind at half time, having dominated the game and been very unlucky to score on a couple of occasions, but their defending in the second half was just so bad, and in such basic ways. Wasn't impressed with United, though Maguire and Wan Bissaka did well. Mount was great for Chelsea too, but the defence was appalling
I'd say for United that Shaw, Lingard and Pereira had poor games while Martial, Rashford and Pogba were pretty vapid bar odd moments of quality that led to goals (I am particularly impressed by Rashford's penalty technique, where it's perfectly obvious where he's going to put it, but the placement is so perfect that the keeper can't do anything anyways). McTominay did fine after a ropey start and I was impressed with James when he came on if for nothing else than his ability to draw fouls out of defenders.

Next week at Wolves, I can see a very different outcome - we struggled there twice last year and I expect more of the same. Still, it's not every week you hand out a bit of a hiding to Chelsea, so I can't help but feel some optimism bubbling under.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: EOLAN on August 12, 2019, 01:11:20 PM
So after my week of glory-hunting soaring; where are all the Alty, Tranmere, Port Vale and updates this week. Being thrown back in with the also rans of football with West Brom; it was relatively sedate against Millwall. Didn't even get any Millwall fans suggesting I was going to get my effing head kicked in, never mind actually following through on that. Great bunch of lads. Struggled to break down a well organised defence. Hopefully Austin can provide some firepower up front.

Got to feel for Scunthorpe and Notts County, 1 point between them.

Who's on tonight in the EPL, gang? Great start to the season so far.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 12, 2019, 06:12:30 PM
Who's on tonight in the EPL, gang? Great start to the season so far.

Carshalton v East Thurrock

3 pointer

finnquark

Quote from: EOLAN on August 12, 2019, 01:11:20 PM

Still to register our first win. Last Tuesday - took the lead against the run of play at Chester, let in a 94th minute equaliser. Saturday gone - took the lead and bossed the first half at Gloucester, conceded a second half equaliser. I'm not overly concerned yet, but I will be if we don't win tonight at home to Alfreton. Brackley away on Saturday is a nightmarish game, and so if we don't win tonight we could be looking at 3 points from 15. It's still early, but I can't see us getting top three, I'd say another playoff run is the limit of our ambitions.

kalowski

Quote from: finnquark on August 13, 2019, 10:25:19 AM
Still to register our first win. Last Tuesday - took the lead against the run of play at Chester, let in a 94th minute equaliser. Saturday gone - took the lead and bossed the first half at Gloucester, conceded a second half equaliser. I'm not overly concerned yet, but I will be if we don't win tonight at home to Alfreton. Brackley away on Saturday is a nightmarish game, and so if we don't win tonight we could be looking at 3 points from 15. It's still early, but I can't see us getting top three, I'd say another playoff run is the limit of our ambitions.
Nor much changed from last season so I'm hoping Alty can hit their stride soon enough. We should be challenging for the playoffs.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on August 13, 2019, 05:34:07 PM
Nor much changed from last season so I'm hoping Alty can hit their stride soon enough. We should be challenging for the playoffs.
86 minute winner by JJ for a 3-2 win for Alty vs Alfreston.

finnquark

Quote from: kalowski on August 13, 2019, 10:20:56 PM
86 minute winner by JJ for a 3-2 win for Alty vs Alfreston.

This giving away of leads is getting tiresome. We'll get away with it against mid-table shite like Afreton, but not against better sides.

kalowski

Quote from: finnquark on August 13, 2019, 10:23:54 PM
This giving away of leads is getting tiresome. We'll get away with it against mid-table shite like Afreton, but not against better sides.
I didn't go tonight, but it feels like we often lose the ball in midfield and teams break on us quickly.
What's up with Jake Moult?

finnquark

Quote from: kalowski on August 13, 2019, 10:38:50 PM
I didn't go tonight, but it feels like we often lose the ball in midfield and teams break on us quickly.
What's up with Jake Moult?

Recovering from a hernia op during post-season. I think he was back running pre-game vs Gloucester. Hopefully he'll be back soon, as I agree he'd make a big difference (as always).