Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2020 - Jetpacks for Goalposts

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 16, 2019, 10:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Ring the **BIG SIGNING** klaxon!

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-signs-canadian-international-defender-edgar

Blodwyn will be delighted with this, experienced heads were needed at the back for Forge. Could be a dream acquisition.

imitationleather

Am I excited? Yes I am excited. Tomorrow I'm finally getting to chuck my transistor radio tuned to fucking Test Match Special into the Tyne because... THE FOOTBALL SEASON PROPER IS BACK!

Gateshead FC v Southport here I come! Well-known Southportians such as practitioner of uxoricide Mitchell Quy, 1970s sex comedy staple Robin Askwith and, err, that Pontins where Bang Face Weekender is held... Your boys are in for one hell of a beating!

sevendaughters

what's going on with Gatsheed this days? I thought they'd astrobummed from outer space by the gods of chance.

imitationleather

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 02, 2019, 04:54:24 PM
what's going on with Gatsheed this days? I thought they'd astrobummed from outer space by the gods of chance.

Demoted a division to the Vanarama National North and apparently up for sale but it looks like fan-ownership could potentially be on the cards.

So actually not a bad outcome considering how dire things looked.

sevendaughters

in love with Crusty the Pie, though Wigan Eggchasers had a pie mascot back in the late 90s that was a bit less corporate.

link because it's massive - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA9MVgYX4AAboFf?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

monkfromhavana

Haven't Gateshead had some kind of financial meltdown?

Looking forward to not watching Coventry City play at St. Andrews this season. Hopefully Ponticelli bangs in a few for Tranmere but gets recalled midway through the season to score a few for us and shaft those dodgy Wirral types.

Predictions?
Premier League title - Man City
Relegation - Sheff Utd, Brighton, Norwich

Championship winners - West Brom
League 1 winners - Sunderland
League 2 winners - Plymouth

Scottish winners:
Celtic
Dundee Utd
Montrose (Come on you Gable Endies!)
Cove Rangers

sevendaughters

PL win - LIVERPOOL
relegation - Brighton, Norwich, Newcastle
Champo promoted - Leeds, Stoke, Derby
Herefordshire FA County Prem - Bartestree

afraid I don't really see much other stuff these days.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 02, 2019, 04:54:24 PM

They want to be South Shields FC so much that they tried to go out of business so they could amalgamate but failed.
They've had to make do with copying SSFC strip for their away kit.

sevendaughters

is Julio Arca still patrolling the WB role for South Shields?

Inspector Norse

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 02, 2019, 05:06:28 PM

I think he must be Mayor by now

imitationleather

I can walk to Gateshead's stadium. Can I do that for South Shields? Feasibly, yes. But in reality it's not going to happen.

South Shields are going to have to come up with something else to secure my support.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 02, 2019, 04:45:50 PM
Ring the **BIG SIGNING** klaxon!

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-signs-canadian-international-defender-edgar

Blodwyn will be delighted with this, experienced heads were needed at the back for Forge. Could be a dream acquisition.

Christ. The link was slow.. thought it was Edgar Davids. Tbh, we're (yes, we) top of the league so don't need him, unlike Wanderers (2-6 defeat in the CPL?! Unheard of)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 02, 2019, 05:00:05 PM
Haven't Gateshead had some kind of financial meltdown?

Looking forward to not watching Coventry City play at St. Andrews this season. Hopefully Ponticelli bangs in a few for Tranmere but gets recalled midway through the season to score a few for us and shaft those dodgy Wirral types.

Predictions?
Premier League title - Man City
Relegation - Sheff Utd, Brighton, Norwich

Championship winners - West Brom
League 1 winners - Sunderland
League 2 winners - Plymouth

Scottish winners:
Celtic
Dundee Utd
Montrose (Come on you Gable Endies!)
Cove Rangers

If pre-season is anything to go by, we (yes, again) could be goalless all season

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on August 02, 2019, 05:11:14 PM
I can walk to Gateshead's stadium. Can I do that for South Shields? Feasibly, yes. But in reality it's not going to happen.

South Shields are going to have to come up with something else to secure my support.

Its a half-marathon not a sprint

imitationleather

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 02, 2019, 05:19:10 PM
Its a half-marathon not a sprint

When I'm on my deathbed I don't want to look back and realise I spent half my life walking to and from South Shields' stadium.

sevendaughters

Quote from: imitationleather on August 02, 2019, 05:32:48 PM
When I'm on my deathbed I don't want to look back and realise I spent half my life walking to and from South Shields' stadium.

treat yourself, get the Metro.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 02, 2019, 05:06:28 PM

No, he retired gracefully a couple of years ago. It was great fun while it lasted.
I'd always admired him as a player but could never say as much, him being a Mackem hero and all. So when he rolled up at Shields it was happy days. Lovely bloke too.

I was in the clubhouse when he came to collect his kit and they gave him it in an inside-out, much used ASDA bag - not a flicker, and he stayed for a couple of hours chatting to the boozing chimps with it dangling from his wrist.

He was a class act Arca.
He started at the same time as a kid who'd played for Burnley in the premier league.
This lad was a proper little shit. Bright pink boots, a "haircut", and an ego that belonged in the league he'd just come from.
His first match was spent moaning to the ref, avoiding all physical contact and diving 3 times trying to get a penalty.
After his final dive, as he picked himself up off of the floor, Arca ran past, clouted him across the head, shouted "what the fuck you doing" and rolled his eyes to the fans on the nearest touch line. - the kid never came back.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on August 02, 2019, 06:09:43 PM
No, he retired gracefully a couple of years ago. It was great fun while it lasted.
I'd always admired him as a player but could never say as much, him being a Mackem hero and all. So when he rolled up at Shields it was happy days. Lovely bloke too.

I was in the clubhouse when he came to collect his kit and they gave him it in an inside-out, much used ASDA bag - not a flicker, and he stayed for a couple of hours chatting to the boozing chimps with it dangling from his wrist.

He was a class act Arca.
He started at the same time as a kid who'd played for Burnley in the premier league.
This lad was a proper little shit. Bright pink boots, a "haircut", and an ego that belonged in the league he'd just come from.
His first match was spent moaning to the ref, avoiding all physical contact and diving 3 times trying to get a penalty.
After his final dive, as he picked himself up off of the floor, Arca ran past, clouted him across the head, shouted "what the fuck you doing" and rolled his eyes to the fans on the nearest touch line. - the kid never came back.

born in the wrong country and time. great story.

imitationleather

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 02, 2019, 05:46:23 PM
treat yourself, get the Metro.

I don't feel like I deserve the comfort of the Metro.

bgmnts

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 02, 2019, 05:03:19 PM
PL win - LIVERPOOL
relegation - Brighton, Norwich, Newcastle
Champo promoted - Leeds, Stoke, Derby
Herefordshire FA County Prem - Bartestree

afraid I don't really see much other stuff these days.

lol

imitationleather

DrGreggles

Middlesbrough appear to be managed by Iain Lee.

monkfromhavana

I'm breaking my duck for the season by watching Dunfermline Vs Dundee as it's free on the BBC website.

The standard of refereeing is absolutely shite, you can see why they want to get foreign refs over if this is what they have to put up with.

Quite an enjoyable game though.

imitationleather

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 02, 2019, 08:40:27 PM
I'm breaking my duck for the season by watching Dunfermline Vs Dundee as it's free on the BBC website.

The standard of refereeing is absolutely shite, you can see why they want to get foreign refs over if this is what they have to put up with.

Quite an enjoyable game though.

The BBC could have publicised this a bit more. Are they showing Scottish football on the regs this season then?

monkfromhavana

Basically, tonight I happened to be on the BBC football website and saw that it was live - pure chance

I have no idea if it's going to be a regular thing or just a few scattered one-offs throughout the season. They used to show lower league Scottish league games but with Gaelic commentary but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

They obviously have to protect the TV rights of lower league Scottish football because otherwise all the kids in the US and Asia will be streaming it illegally and devaluing the quality product on offer.

imitationleather

They also need to give that new BBC Scotland channel a reason to exist so this could be part of that.

DrGreggles

Luton v Boro
Best game of the season so far!

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 02, 2019, 09:30:55 PM
Luton v Boro
Best game of the season so far!

Good game. I like that the new tv gantry at kenilworth road faces the crowd now instead of the corporate boxes that line one side of the stadium. Wasn't great for the old atmosphere on tv.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I thought it was quite good, weird. You can see the fans at each end. And they're hideous, hideously ugly. Urgh.