Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:06:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

University Challenge 2019/20

Started by Twit 2, July 16, 2019, 11:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Apparently Paxo thinks the character's name is Doctor Who.

Norton Canes

Apparently Lancaster thought it would be a good idea to stuff their team with three utterly useless c***s

Fucks ache, our staff College quiz team could have done better.

Norton Canes

Just looking at the series results page on Sean Blanchflower's indispensable UC site. I see last year's Edinburgh victory broke a series of five Oxbridge finals (four of which saw Cambridge defeating Oxford).

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Paxman makes a snide little dig at people who play video games again when he's forced to ask questions about them. Why does he feel the need to do this? He just comes across as a silly old out of touch cunt.

Twit 2

The actual comment wasn't so bad, but the tone is what implied it I guess. Didn't he say something about how do you have time for them? Which is sort of fair enough; it's a big commitment to be into gaming, it would be hard to do it and keep up the level of studying and reading that results in knowing UC level trivia. Although I don't doubt he also looks down on them.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I knew it was coming though, I think that's what pissed me off.

touchingcloth

He sneers at everything, even people not knowing things about organic chemistry that he clearly only knows from reading his card

Come on!

Let's have it!

No! Fluroturpohydrine? A suspension of hydranes in a Mylar cube heated to 51.7 Kelvins before a 0.000025% solution of nano acid is added produces fluorodontahydrine.

Of course he's going to sneer at computer games. He probably sneers at all telly apart from UC.

Twit 2

A poor show from both teams there. Birmingham didn't really deserve to win. Their captain seemed pretty clueless and there were some howling gaps in knowledge. Oh well, 'tis the 1st round.

marquis_de_sad

I didn't think either team was that bad, but the ending was definitely cringe-worthy.

marquis_de_sad

Also, the most questionable player was Bristol's Allen, who buzzed in early with some dubious answers and ultimately cost them the game.

Twit 2

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 22, 2019, 09:18:24 PM
Paxman makes a snide little dig at people who play video games again when he's forced to ask questions about them. Why does he feel the need to do this? He just comes across as a silly old out of touch cunt.

This week's had him scoffing at them failing to identify Schubert's Ave Maria, ironically failing to note that their guess of Gounod, who also wrote a famous version, was perfectly sensible. The Britten/Bach one was unforgivable, though.

Norton Canes

Not as bad as 'Robert the Bruce'

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Fairly terrible episode that somehow went quicker than usual.

Norton Canes

High losing scores so far this series:

Merton, Oxford 140
York 150
Bristol 120

They'll all have been aghast to see St John's go straight through with 115.

marquis_de_sad

That was a really poor effort from both teams. Some ok answers, but they all seemed to really struggle. Both teams being woefully confused about the Charles the Bold/Bald question summed it up.

marquis_de_sad

Some pretty lame answers for the music round from Edinburgh on that one. Nowhere near as bad a match as last week, but still pretty slow going.

Not knowing All Tomorrow's Parties was surprising.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on August 23, 2019, 05:46:10 PM
Not knowing All Tomorrow's Parties was surprising.

Especially as they had an old bloke on the team. And they said the Byrds.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Gurke and Hare

Paxman accepts "They Must Be Giants" as a correct answer on the music round. Yes, of course it's a fucking Oxbridge college.

marquis_de_sad

Yeah that was dumb. But I think you mean, "of course it was a woman".

Anyway, I enjoyed this youtube comment under the recent episode:

Quote from: dpf2122I want Cook and Booth to spitroast me.

Twit 2

What Paxman accepts/gets pedantic about has always been fairly arbitrary.

Manchester captain was good and also seemed like a normal, humble bloke. Quite rare.

marquis_de_sad

"They Must Be Giants" has now entered my head as something out of the Famous Five.

"Oh, they must be giants, George, they must be!" squealed Anne.
"Don't be such an ass, Anne," said George.

etc

Norton Canes

So that's what happened to The Corrs

marquis_de_sad

Durham are now the second highest scoring losers, with Trinity Cambridge the second highest scoring winners. A good match.

marquis_de_sad

There were a lot of questions about art in that episode.

Twit 2

They took a strangely long time (ie more than instant) to get Van Gogh, who has probably the most recognisable style of all artists, even to a layperson. An insane amount of 5 point losses, too. Nice jovial atmosphere to the episode.

I guessed what all three bonus questions on the Paganini would be before they came up (ie that the pieces would be the Rach, Brahms and Liszt). Props to the dude who attempted to remember/pronounce Lutoslawski, an esoteric and very educated guess which went unnoticed.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 17, 2019, 01:01:53 AM
They took a strangely long time (ie more than instant) to get Van Gogh

I think I read somewhere that the TV audience sees the image before the contestants do, but I agree they did seem to hesitate over a pretty easy guess.

a duncandisorderly

"it's lamentable you couldn't recognise that!"

I want one of them to shout at him "well, how many works of 18th century classical music could you recognise from five seconds under tv studio lights when you were fucking twenty years old?"

piss-taking old twat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXkItoqHew

Twit 2

JAM MY XUNT IN THE TOASTER AND QUIZ ME LIKE PAXO YOU DEGENERATING STALWART OF THE PAIGNTON BUM CLUB