Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,323
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend Me Fonts

Started by Delete Delete Delete, July 17, 2019, 11:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys, I'm like for intresting Fonts to use for Logo material in future (spam) broadcast. Recommend me you favourite Fonts. Comic Sans need not apply.

Norton Canes

My favourite from the old Letraset catalogue was always Block Up

FredNurke

Are these anything like 'fuck me shoes'?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 17, 2019, 11:31:05 AM
My favourite from the old Letraset catalogue was always Block Up

Thats pretty cool one, I've added it to my Fonts list.

I've always been a fan of some of the Fonts Nevile Brody uses in his work.

wosl

Concreta (inspired by an Albers' designed one; would be worth comparing and contrasting this with the original):

Codystar:

Capture It:

Icehaven

Spoon of Ploff

Pdine

Something where the letters are all cocks.

Flouncer

Use Wingdings, for everything.

Glebe

a duncandisorderly

microgramma's pretty trippy.

Ferris

Toronto Subway.

I've always thought it was nice.

Golden E. Pump

Comic Sans is due a Renaissance. A Renaissans, if you will.

Jim_MacLaine

I'm a big fan of Washington, as used around BBC Television Centre.

BlodwynPig

丂んノイ 4 ᄃひ刀イ丂

the

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on July 17, 2019, 04:05:14 PMI'm a big fan of Washington, as used around BBC Television Centre.

To give credit where it's due, the TrueType recreation of Washington is the work of Dave Jeffery (aka. Kecske Bak) - here he explains the background of the font and the process of recreating it.

He has recreated many other esoteric British TV fonts, logos and sequences, his site is fascinating.

Bazooka

Don't even know where the font setting is on my typewriter, please help anyone listening!

QDRPHNC

Go and browse Google Fonts, you can download them all for free.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 17, 2019, 03:48:09 PM
Toronto Subway.

I've always thought it was nice.

Looks quite a lot like Futura, classic font.

Dex Sawash

Six point, eight point, ten point, BOLD
Come mister Frutiger recommend me font

Dex Sawash

^ Meant to be in this font

seepage

Dex Sawash

Haven't read the thread, daf or captain z has done that joke already haven't they?

willpurry

Quote from: Pdine on July 17, 2019, 03:17:07 PM
Something where the letters are all cocks.

Tmes New Rodong.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 17, 2019, 04:31:12 PM
Looks quite a lot like Futura, classic font.

Just had a read of the Wikipedia page, it is "inspired" by Futura (ie changed just enough to avoid copyright infringement).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Subway_(typeface)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

a duncandisorderly

I once made a font out of my own handwriting- reasons two-fold. first, it was an exercise to see how it could be done & what the pitfalls were (I used fontographer, & there were many), so that I could make one for my mum so she could write documents & emails in her own handwriting as she found typing easier than long-hand, what with arthritis & so on. second- at the time, my band were hand-making CDr albums & writing on them with edding paint pens. as we grew our market, & prior to first gigging in the US, I realised that we would have to farm out the manufacture &, wanting to keep the house-style, I sent the ttf to the CD duplication place. so there are some real hand-written collectibles out there, then the printed ones, then the ones where we gave up & used american typewriter for everything.
my font (called 'mehand') ended up in machines at work. I saw posters & signs that people had made with it, not knowing its back-story, & it ended up in some of the broadcast CGs, so I saw it on air a few times too.

my other font story is from earlier... janet street porter had this show called 'dance energy' presented by her then b/f, normski (a dolt, but a talented photographer). the graphic designer wanted to use a face called 'formula 1' but we couldn't get it for the CG we were using for the show. so I tore the required page out of the letraset catalogue & scanned the characters one by one into this CG (an abekas A72, still one of my favourite machines of all time). then I set the machine to assembling a font out of these scans. inevitably it crashed. eventually, with some help from abekas ("no-one's tried this before, so we want to see if we can make it work") we got the job done & I watched in horror as the font was aired for the first time on BBC2. some of the letters were wonky- I hadn't got the baseline consistent, but at least I'd remembered the drops.... the next day, I told the GD I'd fix it, but she said "no! janet loves it! it's like a fucked typewriter" & so that's how it stayed.

here's an A72 keyboard that's been in a fire. the function buttons above the main qwerty summon on-screen menus for various bits of functionality, but after about an hour of using the machine, you don't actually need them to appear on-screen, you can just remember where everything is. that's how well designed it was.

Sherringford Hovis

the

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 17, 2019, 07:19:16 PMmy other font story is from earlier... janet street porter had this show called 'dance energy' presented by her then b/f, normski (a dolt, but a talented photographer). the graphic designer wanted to use a face called 'formula 1' but we couldn't get it for the CG we were using for the show. so I tore the required page out of the letraset catalogue & scanned the characters one by one into this CG (an abekas A72, still one of my favourite machines of all time). then I set the machine to assembling a font out of these scans. inevitably it crashed. eventually, with some help from abekas ("no-one's tried this before, so we want to see if we can make it work") we got the job done & I watched in horror as the font was aired for the first time on BBC2. some of the letters were wonky- I hadn't got the baseline consistent, but at least I'd remembered the drops.... the next day, I told the GD I'd fix it, but she said "no! janet loves it! it's like a fucked typewriter" & so that's how it stayed.

Interesting stuff. Can you find a screengrab of what you mean? I've scanned through vids and can't say I've seen any captions with a messed-up baseline. Also, which font was it (if you can find a sample)?