Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fans' anger over 'fraud' of Tape Face stand-in

Started by Timothy, July 17, 2019, 06:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on July 18, 2019, 12:06:55 PM
It is in comedy though.

Unless it isn't.

I don't know, probably not. Ask Tony Clifton.

Captain Z

Seems like the tape is a pretty central factor to the act, so why not just have a roll of tape on stage?

Icehaven

This has reminded me of some time during the Libertines heyday when they had to get a stand-in for Pete Doherty at a gig in the States because he was too off his head and/or too under arrest, and several reviewers appeared to not notice it wasn't him on the stage.

Utter Shit

Don't think this is acceptable at all, and his justification for it is really poor. I'm not sure the "Tape Face is a character who lives in the venue" thing is a reasonable excuse in any situation, but especially if you haven't actually told people of that in the first place.

Beagle 2

Richard Herring sold Talking Cock to different performers all over the world. I went to see it a few years ago and was absolutely gutted to discover that the actual person who would be performing the show was the comedian Richard Herring.

Alberon

Ratko Mladic, Terry Christian and the bloke from Everything but the Girl email Stewart Lee with an idea.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 18, 2019, 11:58:41 AM
Because if they agree with the pissed off fans they'll be admitting they ripped them off and will then probably have to refund them. And the tape face lad is obviously highly motivated by money if he's training clones left right and centre.

But they are acknowledging that the act does have different people in the role and informing as if it wasn't known beforehand. Meanwhile they're saying the angry fans aren't angry, which will make them angrier. I'm sure an apology or some sort of concession would have been better.

There are certain acts that are just acts, and people pay to see the show rather than specific people, but this had not been established by Tape Face prior to this.

NoSleep

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 18, 2019, 12:49:30 PM
I'm sure an apology or some sort of concession would have been better.

He can apologise until he's blue in the face.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Timothy on July 18, 2019, 12:03:48 PM
Imagine buying tickets for Monty Python and there are a few unknown actors on stage doing the sketches, but you can't complain because according to the producers you're still in the Monty Python Universe.

That's different though because that's a good show.

Rolf Lundgren

A tribute act for someone not very popular is an odd thing. Obviously, he's popular enough to have a show in Las Vegas and all that but he's not at the level of the aforementioned Rolling Stones or ABBA who you would be happy to see a tribute of and can understand why it would be difficult to see the original.

Reminds me of Gallagher, the watermelon smashing Gallagher, whose brother performed as Gallagher Too and did the same act. Slightly different in that the original Gallagher got angry with him for not promoting the show as a tribute.

DrGreggles

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 18, 2019, 12:03:07 PM
anyone familiar with Buck's Fizz will know that multiple acts doing the same cheesy schtick with the exact same name are nothing new.

Of course, only Bobby G's band can perform as 'Bucks Fizz'.
There was famously 'David van Day's Public Enemy Bucks Fizz' a few years ago, and the 3 other original BF members now perform together as 'The Fizz', having been taken to court so they can't even be called 'From Bucks Fizz'

Utter Shit

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 18, 2019, 04:13:41 PM
That's different though because that's a good show.

Have you seen Tape Face? I saw him at Konedia a few years ago and it was great. Brilliantly incentive and silly.

alan nagsworth

I will concede that I have not. I just sat in bed in my pants and formed a cruel judgement.

Puce Moment

I have to say I am really angry about this. Inconsolable.

Icehaven

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 18, 2019, 11:57:35 AM
MF Doom has been sending imposters to do his live shows for years.

One of the characters in The Good Place was supposed to be a stand-in for a famous DJ who wore a mask that non-too-subtly resembled Deadmaus.
Ironcially while that kind of deception is strictly speaking more dishonest than what tape boy is doing, it still doesn't allow an act to be in several places at once so the motivation can't be particularly financial, more having something better to do/laziness/pure chutzpah etc.

checkoutgirl

I saw Daft Punk do a gig about 10 years ago in a big field. The possibility that it could have been anyone up there on stage in those helmets was not lost on me.

Icehaven

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 19, 2019, 02:41:32 PM
I saw Daft Punk do a gig about 10 years ago in a big field. The possibility that it could have been anyone up there on stage in those helmets was not lost on me.

I'm convinced a lot of 'anonynous' artists are actually a lot of people. Daft Punk, Banksy, some of Slipknot.

Captain Z

When I went to Disneyland I suspected it wasn't the real Mickey Mouse inside that costume.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 18, 2019, 11:01:10 AM
The original idea looked wank so I couldn't give a fuck really.

I'd never heard of him until I saw this thread.  Watched a video and it's the sort of whimsy you'd have seen as a guest on some light entertainment chatshow in the 80's like The Tom O'Connor Show  or whatever and you'd have seen him pop up on several other shows during the next couple of years then you'd never hear of him again.

JCR

Wu-Tang Clan have also  done this before on UK gigs, in the late 90's. Only sent three of the nine original members & a load of stand ins, despite advertising everyone would be there. The NME did a big editorial saying big hip-hop shows should be avoided as a result

I thought an unwritten premise of comedy is that the performer has a craft that cannot be easily learned? That what you're paying for is not just an act but the skills of timing and pacing and delivery that go into it? A replica of Morecambe and Wise could not charge top dollar because we all know that Eric and Ernie worked thousands of hours to become that good.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JCR on July 19, 2019, 07:43:08 PM
Wu-Tang Clan have also  done this before on UK gigs, in the late 90's. Only sent three of the nine original members & a load of stand ins, despite advertising everyone would be there. The NME did a big editorial saying big hip-hop shows should be avoided as a result

Phil Spector used Darlene Love and the Blossoms to record Crystals tracks while Barbera Alston et al were busy touring.

BeardFaceMan

Surely he's just doing this because it's a very limited act, there's not a lot of stuff he can do so instead of writing new shows he can just get other people to perform his act and still make money off it.

NoSleep

He could put it up on YouTube; much less trouble. Then think about writing some new material like other comics.

Sin Agog

Sin Agog

Quote from: JCR on July 19, 2019, 07:43:08 PM

They did this at Glastonbury this year, except with two O.G. members and 'Lil Dirty Bastard,' ODB's son.

pupshaw

Quote from: icehaven on July 19, 2019, 05:03:26 PM
I'm convinced a lot of 'anonynous' artists are actually a lot of people. Daft Punk, Banksy, some of Slipknot.

I'm sure The Residents used this strategy. You can also get around some contractual issues like this.

jobotic

Lil Dirty Bastard should be Old Dirty Bastard Junior