Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fans' anger over 'fraud' of Tape Face stand-in

Started by Timothy, July 17, 2019, 06:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: pupshaw on July 20, 2019, 11:29:41 AM
I'm sure The Residents used this strategy.

Later on they did (as band members left and they ventured out of their studio into touring), but the original reason for the facelessness was their anti-marketing strategy, which was as much a part of their art as the music.

Replies From View

Quote from: Timothy on July 18, 2019, 12:03:48 PM
Imagine buying tickets for Monty Python and there are a few unknown actors on stage doing the sketches, but you can't complain because according to the producers you're still in the Monty Python Universe.

To be fair I have never heard of tape face and it seems that his only distinguishing feature is having tape on his face.

Almost the very definition of interchangeable except for the physical faff of putting tape on your face and taking it off again.

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on July 20, 2019, 12:20:05 PM
Later on they did (as band members left and they ventured out of their studio into touring), but the original reason for the facelessness was their anti-marketing strategy, which was as much a part of their art as the music.

If they were also faceless I have to assume they were also tapeless.  Losing face is the tragic undoing of anyone whose entire being revolves around what they are able to put on it.

Timothy

I think most people that buy tickets for Tape Face buy them to see Sam Wills with tape on his mouth doing his routine. Sam Wills is Tape Face. That whole Tape Face universum thing is a shambles imo.

He's being interviewed here about his show in Vegas, a show in which someone else performs. No mention of that though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-qauSMdC0

Replies From View

Don't audiences struggle to see the tape after a certain distance?

NoSleep

Quote from: Replies From View on July 20, 2019, 12:38:49 PM
If they were also faceless I have to assume they were also tapeless.  Losing face is the tragic undoing of anyone whose entire being revolves around what they are able to put on it.

No need to tape over eyeballs; just don a top hat and tails: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vlFDxyckKc

Mister Six

checkoutgirl

I assumed the guy had tape all over his face thus obscuring his identity. Watching his act I spy he has just a small bit of tape over his mouth so the punters going to see the stand in act would notice it instantly.

NoSleep

NoSleep

NoSleep

Maybe the franchise was set up from the start.

kalowski

Quote from: olliebean on July 20, 2019, 11:34:51 PM
He has to have got the idea from this guy, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wx0GGIPdiE
That (both of them) is my first experience of Tape Face. Miming with oven gloves? Fuck that.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: icehaven on July 18, 2019, 12:20:04 PM
This has reminded me of some time during the Libertines heyday when they had to get a stand-in for Pete Doherty at a gig in the States because he was too off his head and/or too under arrest, and several reviewers appeared to not notice it wasn't him on the stage.

Which in turn reminds me of when Mark Morrison employed a lookalikey to do his community service for him.

Bad Ambassador

I saw him twice while he was still doing the circuit in London - for the first of these he brought me up on stage, blindfolded me and then did part of the act before sending me back to my seat. I was only later I found out what he did.

Put a tea cup on his head and threw a spoon into it.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on July 20, 2019, 11:34:51 PM
He has to have got the idea from this guy, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wx0GGIPdiE

I'm quite astonished that anyone can claim to have invented something that pretty much everyone in the world has done before they reach their tenth birthday.

It's putting tape over his mouth.  How can he believe he came up with it?

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on July 27, 2019, 10:21:10 PM
I'm quite astonished that anyone can claim to have invented something that pretty much everyone in the world has done before they reach their tenth birthday.

It's putting tape over his mouth.  How can he believe he came up with it?

There's more to the act than that. Whether it's any good or not is a matter of opinion (I find it quite irritating, tbh), but it's a whole act, not just a gimmick, and that Brazilian guy copied it pretty much note for note.

And if putting tape over your mouth was a thing for you in your pre-teen years, you might want to talk to a therapist about that. Or the police, depending whether it was you putting it there.

imitationleather

In the '70s I sent my two sons to a party to see their favourite clown, performed by John Wayne Gacy. They were so excited, only to return in tears informing me that he'd sent a stand-in as he had "Other stuff to do"!

John Wayne Gacy = What. A. Cunt.

DrGreggles

Quote from: imitationleather on July 27, 2019, 11:30:51 PM
In the '70s I sent my two sons to a party to see their favourite clown, performed by John Wayne Gacy. They were so excited, only to return in tears informing me that he'd sent a stand-in as he had "Other stuff to do"!

John Wayne Gacy = What. A. Cunt.

To be fair, at least the replacement clown was Rodney Alcala.

NoSleep

I never had a "favourite clown"* when I was a kid. How does this occur?

*Although I might have had a least favourite.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on July 27, 2019, 10:39:40 PM
And if putting tape over your mouth was a thing for you in your pre-teen years, you might want to talk to a therapist about that.

I just had a capacity for creative experimentation within me that I realise now I could have turned to incredible profit.  I also found myself placing blu-tack on my fingernails to create a claw effect.  Extremely rare genius, obviously!!

Noodle Lizard

Just for a little balance, I worked with Tape Face (the Sam one) a few years ago and he was lovely.  Every day I was wearing a band T-shirt (Ween, My Dying Bride, Devin Townsend) he'd stop me to talk about it.  Genuinely pleasant bloke, but he did have a manager and other such  "team members" with him who were about as you'd expect.  I'd imagine this whole fiasco was more their doing than his own, he himself seemed pretty happy doing sideshow shite in Covent Garden.  It's obviously cunty, but I don't think he's necessarily the cunt.