Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You've accepted a job and signed a contract, a better job opportunity appears

Started by peanutbutter, July 17, 2019, 09:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Applied for the second job before I interviewed at the first, but they only got back after I had accepted the other role. Kept with the interview process out of curiosity more than anything else.

How bad of a move would it be to bail on the first job to take the second? is this a thing people do all the time?

Sherringford Hovis

This question gets asked so often all over the internet it's as if the AI refuses to learn.

Any and every employer's gonna be a cunt to you, so why worry how you treat them?

Cuellar

Just take the better job. You're not going to be working with the first lot so who cares what they think of you.

Also spit at them ahd post dogshit thetihhjt their box

Gregory Torso

You stick with the job you signed on for, out of loyalty and because it's the right thing to do, even if you think about the job you really want while you're doing the job you agreed to do. Its the right thing to do. And you get promoted, you get good at that job, even if it's blatantly obvious that you never should have taken the fucking job and meanwhile the job you really want you see her around and she still s looks good and she catches your eye on the way to the toilets but you don;t do shit becayse youre a good man  A GOOD MAN and good men STICK with the things they PROMISED THAT THEY WOULD

Pseudopath

If you've signed an employment contract, you might want to check if there are any legal repercussions in changing your mind (although most employers aren't going to be arsed to kick up a fuss). Sometimes they give you a cooling-off period in which you can quit the role without consequences, but sometimes they expect you to give a particular period of notice.

Consignia

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 17, 2019, 09:10:43 PM
How bad of a move would it be to bail on the first job to take the second? is this a thing people do all the time?

I've done it once. Felt as guilty the hell about it, but realistically it happens all the time. Just do what's best for yourself.

EDIT: He was my VerbWhore consultation. https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26212.msg1374613.html

Gregory Torso

AND Your th CEO now the head of the company but it feels so nothing and EMPTY inside Emma, like a dream in the night who can say where we're going more than this OH NO THERE'S NOTHING MORE THAN THIS

Gregory Torso

but everyone say ooh Gregg you're so good at the job you can't leave think of your employees they need you to take them swimming, take them to the park, they can't grow up with a boss, forget the other job YOURE TOO OLD  just cling on unitl death

peanutbutter

Quote from: Pseudopath on July 17, 2019, 09:18:27 PM
If you've signed an employment contract, you might want to check if there are any legal repercussions in changing your mind (although most employers aren't going to be arsed to kick up a fuss). Sometimes they give you a cooling-off period in which you can quit the role without consequences, but sometimes they expect you to give a particular period of notice.
Contract has a probationary period in which either party can end things with a week's notice, I would imagine that would apply for the pre-employment period as well. If not, I guess I could head in and give a week's notice on day 1, which sounds like the most George Costanza thing I'd get to do in my life.

Pseudopath

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 17, 2019, 09:23:12 PM
Contract has a probationary period in which either party can end things with a week's notice, I would imagine that would apply for the pre-employment period as well. If not, I guess I could head in and give a week's notice on day 1, which sounds like the most George Costanza thing I'd get to do in my life.

If they haven't specifically said anything about the pre-employment period, I reckon you're good to go. No employer is going to expect you to work a week out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

Puce Moment

You are selling your labour. You have just decided on a different customer because they are better.

Think of work like ebay.

Twed

chveik

Glebe

[tag]Mr. Benn reboot "not aimed at kids."[/tag]

Seriously though, best of luck mate whatever you choose.

DrGreggles

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 17, 2019, 09:10:43 PM
Applied for the second job before I interviewed at the first, but they only got back after I had accepted the other role. Kept with the interview process out of curiosity more than anything else.

Use "personal reasons" as the excuse for bailing on the first job.
It's a vague enough term to technically be true, but so open to possibility that they will not press you on it any further.

Mister Six

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 18, 2019, 12:22:09 AM
It's a vague enough term to technically be true, but so open to possibility that they will not press you on it any further.

This. Your new employers would fuck you off if it became financially useful to them. Don't give them loyalty that won't be reciprocated.

popcorn

If you want the other job, quit the current one and take it.

If the current job is a proper company with an HR department and everything (and not for example a two-bit operation run by a man in a shed), it won't be taken personally. You can even be up front with them and say "Unfortunately I've just had this offer and it makes more sense for me to do this for X Y Z reason", why not? It happens all the time.

You can also use it as negotiation leverage, if you fancy it. For example, if the new job is offering you a better salary, you can show your current employer and say "Sorry, can you beat this?" It's normal.

Paul Calf

Play them off against each other for a few months then do a mercurial shimmy and take a third, even better job.

Last year I interviewed someone who did exactly that. Pain in the arse, but you can't exactly blame them.

Icehaven

Quote from: chveik on July 17, 2019, 11:57:40 PM
take the two jobs.

This isn't actually a bad idea. There was a bloke who signed up for training for a job but then didn't turn up on his first day as he'd gone to work elsewhere, but due to some administrative failure it took the first employer something like 6 months to notice he'd never actually turned up for work, so they'd been paying him all that time. Some approximation of that that ends with you leaving one before they notice and you'll be £££ in.

This was it;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-42806214

The Lurker

The way I see it is: if you were to die tomorrow, your employers would replace you within two weeks. You don't owe them anything. Just take the higher paid job and try not to die tomorrow.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea ditch these looser cunts with their shit inferior jobs, get out if there fast, before some of the bare MEDIOCRITY gets on your clothes and sinks into your heart, and you'll be trapped, a sub par shit man from craptown

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 18, 2019, 12:22:09 AM

I just did this...without the second job part.

Captain Z

Take the job with Donald, Boris, we can manage here without you.

Flatulent Fox

Tell them the truth and walk away.Also jump and click your heels while you do for added effect.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: icehaven on July 18, 2019, 08:04:47 AM
This isn't actually a bad idea. There was a bloke who signed up for training for a job but then didn't turn up on his first day as he'd gone to work elsewhere, but due to some administrative failure it took the first employer something like 6 months to notice he'd never actually turned up for work, so they'd been paying him all that time. Some approximation of that that ends with you leaving one before they notice and you'll be £££ in.

This was it;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-42806214

Quote"I would like to know how this has happened because as a taxpayer myself I don't want to know that my money has been wasted."

"That said, I'll be keeping the ten grand."