Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:49:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen King: mostly it or mostly shit?

Started by Mister Six, July 18, 2019, 01:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

Actually there was a bit in it I liked. This girl is going around town trying to find out who's only got one eye (Hoff got shot in the face with a firework) and the whole scene is so surreal, all the actors turning very slowly like automatons to show you their two eyes, synth plink plonk music in the background, a barber whose scissors don't touch his customers hair, a bar full of silent men who aren't drinking. I'm sure it's an accident due to bad acting and direction but I liked that bit.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on July 18, 2019, 01:19:11 PM
Maximum Overdrive

There are a few of us who think that Maximum Overdrive is pretty good, and genuinely so - not even a guilty pleasure.

Yes, King was coked off his chump throughout the entire production (and for a while after) and doesn't remember a single thing about making it, but it holds together well, the production design and cinematography are both aces, it has some genuinely funny moments, and some half decent performances (not least Estevez, who's basically carrying over Otto from Repo Man, which is no bad thing).

I can understand criticisms about it in terms of faithfulness, but I've NEVER understood the absolute hate it's typically drawn.

oy vey

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 29, 2019, 08:42:27 PM
There are a few of us who think that Maximum Overdrive is pretty good, and genuinely so - not even a guilty pleasure.

Yes, King was coked off his chump throughout the entire production (and for a while after) and doesn't remember a single thing about making it, but it holds together well, the production design and cinematography are both aces, it has some genuinely funny moments, and some half decent performances (not least Estevez, who's basically carrying over Otto from Repo Man, which is no bad thing).

I can understand criticisms about it in terms of faithfulness, but I've NEVER understood the absolute hate it's typically drawn.

I watched it so many times as a teenager. It's not bad, but not great either. Guilty pleasure for me. If you look at the character dynamics compared with The Mist, it's much more cartoonish... "Weeee madeeee you...!!!" Sure, lady.

Great one-liners throughout, however. You can guess the most quoted line by my mates whenever we were at the nearest ATM. And Pat Hingle is at his most Pat Hingle. "You wanna war, you got one." <needs a cigar in mouth to quote properly>