Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Would you be a whistleblower?

Started by Noonling, July 18, 2019, 02:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would YOU be a whistleblower?

Yes
8 (66.7%)
No
1 (8.3%)
You filthy bastard
0 (0%)
Officer Crabtree wonks furiously
0 (0%)
Raoul Moat
3 (25%)
Obviously I'm going to say yes, but really? No fucking way.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Noonling

Would you leak government (or company even) documents that proved dodgy goings on?

Would there be a sliding scale of what you'd whistleblow on ("blow on"?) From "little bit of fraud so can't be arsed" to "this could start a war, so can be arsed" to "A lot of people have already been suspiciously murdered so maybe actually I can't be arsed"?

Would you request the media refer to you by a cool nickname like "Spunk Bucket" or "Mr Piers Stefan Pughe-Morgan"?

Sebastian Cobb

I'd go for a bit of corruption or crony capitalism I reckon.

I'd request my moniker to be 'Dr Widethroat'.

Golden E. Pump

BlodwynPig

Had the chance, failed to take action. 8 years later a whistle was blown...not much happened apart from Director leaving. (this was a German organisation).

Small Man Big Horse

Definitely not when it comes to minor fraud, I'm far too much of a coward and desperate for job stability, but if it involved the risk of anyone's life being lost then I'd hope I would, and if it were a lot of people, then yes, definitely.

I've only ever been in the place where I could have whistleblown once in my life, where the tv company I worked for ran competitions and though the winners were supposed to be drawn at random that was definitely not the case. Couldn't be asked to grass them up though, and they inevitably crashed and burned in the end anyhow.

Icehaven

If it could genuinely effect change and help/save people then I'd like to think I would, however if the more likely outcome was that I'd lose my job and never work in the field again, and my revelations would lead to precisely nothing except some Teflon bastard learning to hide their shit more carefully in future then no.

My current workplace has had a few (already) ex-employees that attempted some whistleblowing in the past few years, none of which seemed to do anything directly although you could argue they contributed to a combined effect along with various other things (many negative news stories, appalling inspection result leading to government intervention etc.) that has resulted in the place changing a bit, and slowly. I sincerely doubt just their accounts alone would have led to anything though.

Inspector Norse

I did call a lawyer on one employer, when I worked in TEFL: a colleague and I had handed in our notice and the employer, presuming we were going to leave the country, waffled something about back taxes meaning we wouldn't get our final month's pay. We smelled a rat, though, and spoke enough Spanish to communicate this to a lawyer, who promptly rang them up and told them to cut it out.
This was a large international business, not just some local cowboy operation, but I wasn't really bothered about making a big fuss and bringing it to wider attention.

I've worked at other places where the laws have not been strictly followed at all times and I have not blown any whistles. Were it a matter of state security, or were the greater good at stake, I might do. But a few shortcuts being taken, a few steps being skipped, nah. As long as it's for efficiency's sake and not putting people at risk.

Twit 2

My grandfather always refused to be a whistle blower WHICH IS WHY HE LOST HIS JOB AS CHIEF WHISTLE TESTER FOR A COMPANY THAT MANUFACTURED WHISTLES.

Gregory Torso

i'll blow your whistle you big bald hunk

shiftwork2

The Health Service now prefers 'Freedom To Speak Up' to whistleblowing and I'm not sure why as it's a splendid term that leaves you to believe everyone downs tools while fair, even-handed inspectors rush out of the cupboards to make it all ok.  Actually - the new term is probably better.

Shit Good Nose

It's actively encouraged at my place, but I don't know anyone that has actually done it, and the dodgy goings on I am aware of were all dealt with by the time I heard about them.

PlanktonSideburns

Would love to do mine in, for facilitating massive international tax evasion, out of date fire extinguishers and fucking garbage Kenco gravel coffee

Zetetic

Edit: Most honestly, it's probably still a maybe or a sort-of.

Sin Agog

No. I know too many tinnitus sufferers to be that insensitive.

Sin Agog

But yeah.  Not for any curtain-twitchy narcy shit, but definitely for anything even a little bit inhumane.  I mean, when I was working in my fam's skateboard shop as a teen, I tried to get all the apathetic little skater boys and girls on the shop floor to start a union.  I've only gotten more irritating since.

thenoise

Dobbed on a colleague at a nursing home who was rough with the residents, left a poor lady with bruises all over her arms as she manhandled her into bed. Result - she was dismissed, and the lady and her family invited to bring charges against her. Which they decided against. She was working for a rival home within weeks.

Whistleblowing is pretty much my job.

I'd rather be right than popular.

Cuellar

It has recently come to my attention that a work group chat is called '[company name] Fags'

Should I blow the whistle on that

Flatulent Fox

I'd rather not be a whistleblower as it might give the whole game away.

I could be a troubleshooter but.As long as I can wear cowboy boots while doing the troubleshooting.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Rizla

I would blow the whistle if there was robbing, stealing or mugging going on, but if the only crime occurring was buggin' then I'd let it slide.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on July 19, 2019, 04:43:21 PM
It has recently come to my attention that a work group chat is called '[company name] Fags'

Should I blow the whistle on that

For me I think this would depend on whether it's using a company chat system (e.g. Skype for Business or Slack) or whether it's a an ad-hoc thing some colleagues have made in Whatsapp or whatever.

The former you could probably do fairly anonymously and it's worse anyway because not only could it bring the company into disrepute, someone could stumble upon it and get upset. The latter is still not good, but if it's private then you might be outing yourself as a grass and get dragged into the fallout. I'd probably be more inclined to stay clear of it, people will find out eventually anyway.