Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:52:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Clever stuff for stupid people

Started by Blue Jam, July 18, 2019, 06:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 18, 2019, 06:16:47 PM

How is that not Nigel Havers?! Also he's going to hoover that tiny woman up if he isn't careful.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Urinal Cake on July 19, 2019, 05:41:06 AM
Foodie culture. The Proust bullshit, the history be etc.
I'd also say put that, 'You can really learn about a culture through their food' shit in too. Also when did Chef become a honorific title?

Always. It's just the French for chief, so saying "chef Ramsay" is the same as saying "chief Wiggum". And people in restaurant kitchens say "yes, chef!" which is arguably a bit odd, but no more so than the men who have served me in kebab shops and asked "chilli sauce with that, chief? All salad, boss?"

touchingcloth

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 19, 2019, 04:56:57 AM
Breaking Bad

Is that seen as clever? I watched an episode once, and it was just someone getting dissolved in a bath.

Jasha

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2019, 03:25:17 AM
What is basic classical music?

Sprach Zarathustra – Strauss

Wilhelm Tell Overture – Rossini

Morgenstemning - Greig

Canon in D minor– Pachelbel

Orchestral Suite No. 3 In D Major – Johann Sebastian Bach

Icehaven

Quote from: Jasha on July 19, 2019, 09:25:31 AM
Sprach Zarathustra – Strauss

Wilhelm Tell Overture – Rossini

Morgenstemning - Greig

Canon in D minor– Pachelbel

Orchestral Suite No. 3 In D Major – Johann Sebastian Bach

And everything by Mozart and Beethoven.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on July 19, 2019, 07:52:36 AM
Do people think Breaking Bad is clever? I think it's enjoyable but it's hardly deep.

I finally got round to watching all of Breaking Bad this year. I loved it but reading about it online I saw lots of serious discussion about the symbolism in it- how certain characters tend to wear certain colours and what that says about them, how Walter is associated with cockroaches because he's a scumbag and Jesse is associated with dogs because he's loyal... arrrggghh fuck off.

Also the basic premise is complete nonsense- well-acted, well-written, beautifully shot nonsense admittedly but I wouldn't call it deep. Overanalysing stuff like this just ruins it for me.

I have still never watched Rick and Morty. Maybe it's my loss, but the obnoxious fandom really puts me off.

Icehaven

Quote from: sponk on July 19, 2019, 10:47:58 AM

It actually is quite clever to have so many people completely agree with you yet still think you're a total dickhead.

Blue Jam

I reckon half of Cab are ISFJ...

studpuppet

Blue Jam

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 19, 2019, 10:33:21 AM
I have still never watched Rick and Morty. Maybe it's my loss, but the obnoxious fandom really puts me off.

That put me off for a long time as well, but I finally jumped into it a couple of years back. Lots of good stuff, but they certainly started leaning into their "we're a smart show for smarties" reputation in the latest season.

BritishHobo

The documentary(!!!!) Idiocracy, which is increasingly looking like a documentary of real society with all these stupid people around!!!!

BritishHobo

That's not meant to be a satire of this thread, even though it looks like it is

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 19, 2019, 10:33:21 AM
I finally got round to watching all of Breaking Bad this year. I loved it but reading about it online I saw lots of serious discussion about the symbolism in it- how certain characters tend to wear certain colours and what that says about them

I don't see what the issue is particularly, Gilligan has demonstrated repeatedly that he is very deliberate about the level of detail that goes into his shows, and Breaking Bad uses plenty of symbolism and foreshadowing so it's hardly an absurd discussion to have.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on July 19, 2019, 12:44:52 PM
I don't see what the issue is particularly, Gilligan has demonstrated repeatedly that he is very deliberate about the level of detail that goes into his shows, and Breaking Bad uses plenty of symbolism and foreshadowing so it's hardly an absurd discussion to have.
Yes this goes all the way back to the show he did about that island

Cuellar

The entire field of mechanical engineering

QDRPHNC

Documentaries. They're the new books.

kittens

garbed_attic

IQ tests... aaaaaaaaaaah

Oh and Darren Aronofsky

kittens

doing anything other than attending your job and then going home to watch tv. the fuck is wrong with some people.

garbed_attic

Quote from: kittens on July 19, 2019, 01:29:14 PM
doing anything other than attending your job and then going home to watch tv. the fuck is wrong with some people.

get back to your work kittens. god.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 18, 2019, 07:02:44 PM
Is the Richard Dawkins Award something he awards himself every year for being the best Richard Dawkins? I bet it is, and he's got a cup on a trophy cabinet engraved

Richard Dawkins
Richard Dawkins
Richard Dawkins
Richard Dawkins
Richard Dawkins w/ Richard Dawkins
Richard Dawkins
Richard Dawkins
Richard Dawkins

That's amazing. What kind of a cunt is happy to have an award named after him? And then shows up to the award ceremony where the awardingly award winner (the award winning Ricky Gervais) receives their award? I'd actually love to go to the ceremony, it would be swell.

Like many, when I first saw that poster I was sure it was a wind up. It looks like something someone on here would knock up. Almost beyond parody.

I was wholeheartedly agreeing with all of the suggestions - Gervais, who could disagree; Dawkins, classic example; Musk, anyone can strap a few batteries together mate, etc. Made it a whole 2/3rds down the page, convinced by now that I must be one of the "genuinely clevers" and then hit upon Donnie Darko and am now trying to come to terms with being one of the stupids.

garbed_attic

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on July 19, 2019, 02:06:42 PM
I was wholeheartedly agreeing with all of the suggestions - Gervais, who could disagree; Dawkins, classic example; Musk, anyone can strap a few batteries together mate, etc. Made it a whole 2/3rds down the page, convinced by now that I must be one of the "genuinely clevers" and then hit upon Donnie Darko and am now trying to come to terms with being one of the stupids.

Donnie Darko's a great teenage film though - it's one of the only mainstream head films that feels like we got as millennial teens so I will always hold a soft spot for it despite its daft inconsistencies and pretentions!

poo