Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:08:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan no Moore

Started by Dannyhood91, July 18, 2019, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operty1

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 25, 2019, 03:49:21 PM
That Master Edition looks interesting, although From Hell in colour just seems odd to me, like making coffee in a microwave. I'm lucky enough to have one of these mothers:

My initial thoughts were that the coloured version was some kind of cash grab, but Campbell doing it himself shows a lot of care has gone in to it, and does seem rather in keeping and tasteful. There does seem to be extra depth, though oddly not everything in each panel is coloured. Comparisons here:

https://paddybrown.co.uk/?p=5983

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Operty1 on September 25, 2019, 05:27:21 PM
My initial thoughts were that the coloured version was some kind of cash grab, but Campbell doing it himself shows a lot of care has gone in to it, and does seem rather in keeping and tasteful. There does seem to be extra depth, though oddly not everything in each panel is coloured. Comparisons here:

Thanks for that. Hmm, not sure how I feel. It's clearly been done with care and consideration. But something about the black and white feels so intrinsic to what From Hell is, more like an illustrated novel than a graphic novel, if that makes sense. The coloured version looks more like the latter to me.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 25, 2019, 12:41:03 AM
Fucking fine, I've bought a copy of From Hell.

Should be called fucking hell cos it was $45. If this is a load of shit I'll have words with all of you.

Did you buy the one with that lovely, lovely red cover? With the London skyline? I'm tempted to pick up another copy myself. My ex has my old paperback, and I don't like touching the aforementioned Graphitti edition.

Famous Mortimer

I just bought the companion thing, as I read "From Hell" years ago and must have skimmed it or been pissed or something, because I don't have the same glowing opinion as most of the people in here. Time to give it another go.

NJ Uncut

So that Moon and Serpent book

"Real" "spells" or larking aboot on a theme or what?

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 25, 2019, 05:35:04 PM
Did you buy the one with that lovely, lovely red cover? With the London skyline? I'm tempted to pick up another copy myself. My ex has my old paperback, and I don't like touching the aforementioned Graphitti edition.

I got this one, not sure of the version

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0958578346/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

QDRPHNC

Ok yeah, there have been a bunch. It doesn't really matter I suppose, I'm just a cover nerd. Hope you enjoy it!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Operty1 on September 25, 2019, 05:27:21 PM
Comparisons here:

That does look really nice, tbf

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 25, 2019, 05:35:04 PM
Thanks for that. Hmm, not sure how I feel. It's clearly been done with care and consideration. But something about the black and white feels so intrinsic to what From Hell is, more like an illustrated novel than a graphic novel, if that makes sense. The coloured version looks more like the latter to me.

But I think I agree

QDRPHNC

Quote from: samadriel on September 25, 2019, 09:35:08 AM
I love that they turned it into a whodunnit, then didn't add anyone other than Gull as a suspect.

Yeah! There is literally no one it could be except the doctor kindly showing off his collection of massive knives to Johnny Depp to help with the case. The doctor whose pupils literally turn black when he gets mad. Could be him.

My favourite thing about the movie was that they took the portly, middle-aged, east end detective and his friend, a self-confessed fraudulent "psychic", and combined them into Johnny Depp, a psychic cop.

Could it be in the running for "largest disparity in quality between source material and film"?

I mean, V for Vendetta and Watchmen both botched certain things, and (like most adaptations of Moore's work) lost much of what was going on in the stories beneath the surface, but they were at least mostly well-made and entertaining in their own rights.

From Hell was an utter train wreck. An adaptation that wiped it's ass on the most amazing source material and didn't even make a decent film for general audiences out of it, just a deeply stupid, overblown piece of crap that didn't make sense.

I'll give it one thing though, the scene where the police find the first victim, they essentially replicated the panels of the book in motion. That was quite well done, those 30 seconds or so.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 25, 2019, 07:30:34 PM
So that Moon and Serpent book

"Real" "spells" or larking aboot on a theme or what?

Well, popular poster NJ Uncut, I'm going to buy this book whenever it is available and perform the spells within and see if they work!

NARRATOR. They won't.

Well, after putting it off for years, looks like I'm going to have to give 'From Hell' a proper go

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on September 27, 2019, 02:04:28 PM
Well, after putting it off for years, looks like I'm going to have to give 'From Hell' a proper go

*thumb*

Ferris

Fucking hell its a monster book. Like a house brick.

Enjoying it so far, though only up to chapter 3 - I don't think it's some era-defining genius yet, but I'm not even 10% in, so I'll reserve judgement...

Mister Six

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 26, 2019, 03:13:34 PM
My favourite thing about the movie was that they took the portly, middle-aged, east end detective and his friend, a self-confessed fraudulent "psychic", and combined them into Johnny Depp, a psychic cop.

I also like how all the prostitutes look genuinely grimy and miserable except the one Johnny Depp runs off with, who looks like she's there on work experience.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Mister Six on September 28, 2019, 06:06:57 PM
I also like how all the prostitutes look genuinely grimy and miserable except the one Johnny Depp runs off with, who looks like she's there on work experience.
LOL

Sebastian Cobb

imitationleather

So I've actually been reading From Hell. A rare example of me doing something I planned to.

Up to Chapter 9 and think it's superb. It's really clicked with me a lot better than Watchmen and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which while I could appreciate were done well I just never felt like they were the kind of stories that I was really at all interested in.

Artie Fufkin

I purchased half of The Master Edition the other day, which is currently on sale at ComiXology, if you don't mind your comics in a digital format.
I'm really looking forward to reading this again.

AliasTheCat

From Hell was the book that got me back into comics in adulthood. It gave me my first inkling as to what possibilities there were in the medium beyond simply trying to ape a certain type of cinematic experience in still images, and began to show me that there were writers and artists who were actively exploring and experimenting with the possibilities.
I'm very fond of it and think it's still my favourite bit of Moore's work.
The film is cack, but is it worse than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Artie Fufkin

I preferred the LoEG film to FH

Dr Rock

How many versions of From Hell don't have the appendix where Moore discusses all the references and that? it's only half as good without that part.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 21, 2019, 05:36:16 AM
How many versions of From Hell don't have the appendix where Moore discusses all the references and that? it's only half as good without that part.

I didn't know there were any such editions.

H-O-W-L

I think The Killing Joke is vastly overrated even if I quite like it. I also think the recolor is complete shit even if it's what Bolland intended. Sometimes happy accidents improve a work.

H-O-W-L

Correction, really: I think the coloring is complete shit not because it is shit (it's pretty competent) but because it turns the novel from the freakish fever-dream the plot requires it to be and into just a dowdy, boring little gray Batman story. Without the outlandish colors heightening the nightmare aspect of the novel it becomes very fucking dry IMO.

samadriel

I'd have to agree with you there, the weird Watchmen-esque colours of the original art (KJ had the same colourist as Watchmen, I believe) are a lot more evocative than the new stuff.  I generally love Brian Bolland's work, but he's on a hiding to nothing doing the colours himself.

H-O-W-L

That explains so much. It's like if you went back and recolored Watchmen to be modern, accurate, and gloomy instead of the Golden Age style pastel light-show it is.

Mister Six

I felt the same about Frank Quitely's recoloured Flex Mentallo. Just because someone is good at line art doesn't necessarily mean they're great at colours too. Or at least not automatically better than someone whose entire job is about capturing the right colours for a story.

bgmnts

I'm currently going through the Jerusalem audiobook and fuck me its big. Its 6 chapters all between 9 and 11 hours long. I wont say its a slog because a lot of the stories are quite good but I am about 7 hours into it and still don't really have any idea what it is.

I'd say From Hell and Watchmen are still his best work but this could be his magnificent octopus, I shall report back when i'm around 30 hours in.

Pink Gregory

Interested to hear how the infamous Finnegan's Wake chapter pans out in an audio format. 

QDRPHNC

I thought Voice of the Fire was much stronger than Jerusalem. The latter had some fantastic stuff in it, but it surrounded by too much other stuff too.