Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan no Moore

Started by Dannyhood91, July 18, 2019, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Although I kind of want to read it again now.

I remember thinking that much of the exposition from the kids' mouths was quite clumsy.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 10, 2020, 10:41:23 AM
I thought Voice of the Fire was much stronger than Jerusalem. The latter had some fantastic stuff in it, but it surrounded by too much other stuff too.

You got VotF! My copy is underneath a pile of stuff (still), unopened. For shame.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, I got the UK paperback and the swish signed hardcover. I'll get drunk and bore you about it later.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Always thought From Hell was overrated myself - middlebrow social commentary with low effort psychogeography stuff obviously stolen from Peter Ackroyd. Like most artists, Moore worked best within the margins. Once he got carte blanche to do what he wanted, the references became more overt and the allusions increasingly pretentious. I don't even have to read Jerusalem to find out what an over-researched chore it is.

Swamp Thing/Batman/Watchmen/V are the ones to get.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on January 12, 2020, 07:20:39 AM
Always thought From Hell was overrated myself - middlebrow social commentary with low effort psychogeography stuff obviously stolen from Peter Ackroyd. Like most artists, Moore worked best within the margins. Once he got carte blanche to do what he wanted, the references became more overt and the allusions increasingly pretentious.
"Pretentious" is too often short-hand for "something I don't understand or agree with". I'm surprised that there's so much highbrow social commentary / psychogeography done in the medium of comics that you can casually dismiss "From Hell" like that. Also, can you rip off the concept of psychogeography? Also also, Ackroyd ripped off his ideas too (most notably, "Lud Heat" for "Hawksmoor").

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on January 12, 2020, 07:20:39 AMI don't even have to read Jerusalem to find out what an over-researched chore it is.
You're far from the first person to do this, but I wonder why people are so determined to have extremely strong opinions about stuff they've not read / seen / heard?

Glitch King

1234 Glitch King knows the score!

Glitch King!