Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:27:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

oh fuck oh no look at this cats film

Started by VelourSpirit, July 18, 2019, 11:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Yea I'm going to watch this in the cinema for deffos!

kalowski

I'd watch it if it had been directed by Tobe Hooper.

Head Gardener

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 20, 2019, 10:28:17 PM
So far no seats have sold for the 8.45pm showing at the Walthamstow Empire tomorrow night. I'm almost tempted if I can see it on my own without any witnesses.

All the seats are still available, it's looking like my dream might come true!

kngen

Quote from: olliebean on December 20, 2019, 10:52:20 PM
The more I hear about this, the more I want to see it. Unfortunately thanks to bloody Star Wars, my local hasn't got it showing in any of the bigger screens, and if I'm paying to see it I want it to be a fucking EXPERIENCE.

Wonder if they deliberately put it up against Star Wars to bury it?

idunnosomename

Maybe they think it will gradually bring it in on home releases but you dont want to purposely bury something thats had a lot of money invested in it. They dont care about critical reception, they want investment to make profit

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kngen on December 21, 2019, 11:46:18 AM
Wonder if they deliberately put it up against Star Wars to bury it?

The Greatest Showman went up against The Last Jedi and turned in to a sleeper hit, so I think they were hoping to cash in on the same audience this time around.

Jim Bob

Aye, it was likely counterprogramming.  They were hoping to bring in an audience who wouldn't be interested in seeing a Star Wars movie, but would enjoy a musical.

Dewt

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 21, 2019, 11:05:35 AM
All the seats are still available, it's looking like my dream might come true!
"Finally, I can enshitten an entire theatre's worth of seats."

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dewt on December 21, 2019, 04:32:03 PM
"Finally, I can enshitten an entire theatre's worth of seats."

Tragedy has struck, and the seats will remain unshat upon.

If I find out it's any of you lot I will get my anus finger out and rub it all over your bike seats, I can tell you.

Bazooka

Imagine watching Cats with audio description.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Bazooka on December 21, 2019, 07:14:48 PM
Imagine watching Cats with audio description.
"everything is horrible and ugly"

Glebe

Somebody brave must go to this dressed as Corden Cat and post pix.

Kelvin

Ferris

idunnosomename

Patch the fact that someone did a cinema adaption of a Lloyd-Webber musical

How is that possible? What over-the-weekend improvements could they possibly be doing to an already-released CGI fest?

popcorn

From the sounds of it they're fixing a few CG bugs like hands clipping through walls and stuff like that. So yes, rearranging the decks on the Titanic, etc.

I suppose it might have come at the behest of the director who apparently was still working on the film hours before its premiere.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on December 22, 2019, 02:45:40 PM
From the sounds of it they're fixing a few CG bugs like hands clipping through walls and stuff like that. So yes, rearranging the decks on the Titanic, etc.

I suppose it might have come at the behest of the director who apparently was still working on the film hours before its premiere.

This is (presumably) a film with a budget in the tens of millions with thousands of people working on it.

How has it all gone this wrong?

pigamus

You can't make people look like real cats. You just can't. And the more you try the more freaked out people get.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 22, 2019, 02:50:00 PM

Probably because it was a shit idea to start with no matter who was behind the camera.  What works in one medium is not necessarily transferable to another.

popcorn

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 22, 2019, 02:50:00 PM
This is (presumably) a film with a budget in the tens of millions with thousands of people working on it.

Bad source material and very bad art direction seems to have been the cause of the inescapable shitness of the film, but the visual effect bugs will just be the result of overambitious scheduling, desperate to hit the Christmas market.

For complex projects, beyond a certain point, it doesn't matter how many people you have working on them - it's diminishing returns because the extra labour is offset by the increased complexity of managing them and the reduced focus, autonomy, and clarity that comes from being a small part in a huge machine. In the end, once you basically have enough people, you either have enough time or you don't.

I suppose it might still end up being a box office smash. You never fucking know. Avatar looked fucking ridiculous too (admittedly less so) and everyone went to see it. Plus musicals do well at Christmas apparently - they're trying to hit the same market The Greatest Showman hit.

Quote from: pigamus on December 22, 2019, 02:54:59 PM
You can't make people look like real cats. You just can't. And the more you try the more freaked out people get.

Sounds like somebody hasn't seen popcorn_private_tape_LEAK_mp4_uncut_16gb.vid.

Ferris

Hadn't considered the time crunch for the holidays, I'm willing to let them off on this occasion only.

Quote from: popcorn on December 22, 2019, 03:01:08 PM
Sounds like somebody hasn't seen popcorn_private_tape_LEAK_mp4_uncut_16gb.vid.

Did we ever work out who owns the copyright on this?

bgmnts

Quote from: pigamus on December 22, 2019, 02:54:59 PM

Why did Thundercats work then?

popcorn

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 22, 2019, 03:57:30 PM
Hadn't considered the time crunch for the holidays, I'm willing to let them off on this occasion only.

Did we ever work out who owns the copyright on this?

Well, technically, the cat. See also the Wikipedia monkey copyright dispute.

PlanktonSideburns

All the more pumped for this after hearing they were working on it hours before release

Genuinely hope it's a smash and more Hollywood films become hastily cobbled uncanny valley nightmares accidentally based on deviant art niches

Some sort of vore reboot of innerspace

Or a crush video gritty reboot of honey I shrunk the kids, I dunno

Jim Bob

Quote from: popcorn on December 22, 2019, 02:14:30 PM
Apparently they're patching this.

Universal Notifies Theaters 'Cats' Is Being Updated With "Improved Visual Effects"

This sets a worrying precedent.  I always feared that movies would end up like the current state of the videogame industry, with day one 'patches' and some form of DLC for extra money.  This is the first step towards that kind of hellish landscape in cinema.

bgmnts

You'll have to buy the special edition at double the price to watch the film as it was intended by the directors.

For some reason this is accepted by moronic gamers who have more money than sense but can you imagine this in film? Would be very interesting.