Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

oh fuck oh no look at this cats film

Started by VelourSpirit, July 18, 2019, 11:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on December 22, 2019, 04:36:10 PM
For some reason this is accepted by moronic gamers who have more money than sense but can you imagine this in film? Would be very interesting.

"Interesting" is certainly one word for it, I suppose.

bgmnts

Interesting just to see if people would accept it. It would be abysmal obviously.

popcorn

My completely unprofessional gut feeling is that it would have been a lot cooler (and certainly less bizarre) to have them just dress up like they did for the stage version.

idunnosomename

Next up Starlight Express where Tom Hanks plays a mo-cap CG train

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on December 22, 2019, 04:38:24 PM
Interesting just to see if people would accept it. It would be abysmal obviously.

As you said, the majority of people accepted it with open arms when it came to videogames.  I see no reason not to think that they wouldn't also do the same, should it happen to the film industry.

Noodle Lizard

These kinds of small "patches" probably happen more often than you'd think (especially now all it requires is sending a new DCP to cinemas), but this case is obviously getting more attention because of its pre-existing trainwreck reputation. It sounds like it's just fixing a few minor glitches rather than changing the film in any significant way.

Blumf

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 22, 2019, 04:34:26 PM
This sets a worrying precedent.  I always feared that movies would end up like the current state of the videogame industry, with day one 'patches' and some form of DLC for extra money.  This is the first step towards that kind of hellish landscape in cinema.

I think it's clear now, film making has shifted to an 'agile' model, just like software development. No need to plan scripts, no need to work on themes, just shunt stuff out and redo until crunch time, and even then keep on redoing.

Also, spotted this in the shops:

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/the-cats-in-the-cats-movie-drink-champagne-specifically-pipurr-heidsieck-unfiltered

What's the worse swill, film or booze?

Mister Six

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 22, 2019, 04:34:26 PM
This sets a worrying precedent.  I always feared that movies would end up like the current state of the videogame industry, with day one 'patches' and some form of DLC for extra money.  This is the first step towards that kind of hellish landscape in cinema.

I think the first step was the re-release of Avengers Endgame with a couple of extra scenes and some bonus crap after the credits, or whatever it was.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on December 23, 2019, 12:07:36 AM
I think the first step was the re-release of Avengers Endgame with a couple of extra scenes and some bonus crap after the credits, or whatever it was.

Surely Director's Cuts and Extended Cuts and Unrated Cuts etc. have been commonplace since the advent of home video. I'm not sure why this is significantly different.

mjwilson

I obviously have low standards because I was impressed that they didn't try and change the film itself - they didn't edit deleted scenes back in and say that it was a director's cut or anything like that.

Mind you Clue was released in cinemas with multiple different endings to try and get you to go and see it lots of times, so I guess they really started it.

BlodwynPig

OR WE COULD BE DISCUSSING THE CLIMATE APOCALYPSE?

idunnosomename

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 23, 2019, 12:44:28 AM
Surely Director's Cuts and Extended Cuts and Unrated Cuts etc. have been commonplace since the advent of home video. I'm not sure why this is significantly different.

Because they weren't re-released in cinemas at their end of the original theatrical run.

Thomas

My contrarian housemate insists that this might be good, and comes out with all sorts of apologist-sounding reasons as to why. Obviously just a sex thing.

popcorn

I've never fancied Taylor Swift much (she is BENEATH my standards) but there is definitely something confusing about her in that trailer.

olliebean

The first step was Star Wars, surely?

Thursday

Quote from: popcorn on December 23, 2019, 01:53:50 PM
I've never fancied Taylor Swift much (she is BENEATH my standards) but there is definitely something confusing about her in that trailer.

Look we'd all fuck Taylor Swift cat. It's fine, there's no need to be ashamed about it, but there's no need to dwell on it either. Let's all just accept this about ourselves and move on.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on December 23, 2019, 01:09:24 PM
Because they weren't re-released in cinemas at their end of the original theatrical run.

Some were - or ran simultaneously. Granted, that seems to happen mostly with "indie" films (Midsommar, The House That Jack Built, Nymphomaniac etc.) so it may not be as egregious as Disney/Marvel doing it, but I'm also not familiar with the Avengers example.

Mister Six

Quote from: Thursday on December 23, 2019, 06:25:16 PM
Look we'd all fuck Taylor Swift cat. It's fine, there's no need to be ashamed about it, but there's no need to dwell on it either. Let's all just accept this about ourselves and move on.

It's weird though. I wouldn't fuck Taylor Swift and I wouldn't fuck a cat, but I absolutely would fuck Taylor Swift cat. What is up with that?

garbed_attic

It was like a horrible screensaver. And I thought James Cordon was one of the only halfway decent things in it. So one of you now has permission to kill me I guess.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: gout_pony on December 23, 2019, 11:49:43 PM
It was like a horrible screensaver. And I thought James Cordon was one of the only halfway decent things in it. So one of you now has permission to kill me I guess.

Was it amusing in a hate watch kind of way? I'm kind of tempted to see it over the Christmas period as I'll be in deepest, darkest Surrey with nothing planned on a couple of days, but if it's actually painful to watch I might not do so.

Replies From View

This guy thinks you should see the film, in a kind of 'The Room' way.  https://youtu.be/QFHSrP01Y2A

I'm not going to bother as I suspect the reviews are generally more entertaining than the film and don't take up as much life.

Dex Sawash

How can it not just be the stage show with CGI? If you just let it wash over you it'll be fine.

olliebean

Seeing it after Christmas now as they've put it on a larger screen then. Probably next Monday, it's a quid cheaper.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 24, 2019, 01:02:46 PM

How can it not just be the stage show with CGI? If you just let it wash over you it'll be fine.

Well apparently there's all a boat and everything

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on December 24, 2019, 01:11:39 PM
Well apparently there's all a boat and everything

Whatever will they think of next?

Replies From View

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 24, 2019, 01:15:35 PM
Whatever will they think of next?

Doesn't matter that the film has already been released either.  Think of something new, just pop it in and re-release it.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 24, 2019, 11:21:36 AM
Was it amusing in a hate watch kind of way? I'm kind of tempted to see it over the Christmas period as I'll be in deepest, darkest Surrey with nothing planned on a couple of days, but if it's actually painful to watch I might not do so.

Watching it with a friend making snarky comments was kind of fun... though I felt a bit self-aware since the rest of the Ipswich audience seemed to be trying their best to take it seriously! More theoretically interesting than actively amusing. I'm sure there are many hilarious "fan edits" to be made however. Vic Berger should really get his hands on it.