Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:47:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

oh fuck oh no look at this cats film

Started by VelourSpirit, July 18, 2019, 11:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 21, 2020, 10:01:08 AM

The soundtrack sounds like it was recorded by a 5-person band in a provincial theatre.

To be fair, the Cats music has always sounded like that, it seems to be part of the effect that it sounds like 2 DX7s and a school drumkit.

olliebean

This is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aK-EK5V2k - especially the first part where he explores why the film doesn't work through the lens of why the stage show does work.

BritishHobo

Watching this on Sky Movies now, like a dickhead. There's a bit where Rebel Wilson unzips her body to reveal another body underneath wearing a waistcoat. I feel ill.

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 21, 2020, 10:01:08 AM
Tom Hooper is one of the few directors who's never shot a music video and it shows.

He's also never directed anything for the stage, and Cats is just about the most stage-y a musical can be. Hooper fucked up his film of Les Mis as well, but I think it did well as the box office making him seem a safe pair of hands for the studio.

I don't think a decent film version of Cats is possible, but they could've hired a director like Rob Marshall who has successfully made the transition from directing musicals on stage to film.

jenna appleseed

Ok which of you bastards bumped the threads to make this just happen in unread posts?