Author Topic: oh fuck oh no look at this cats film  (Read 3725 times)

grassbath

• Crocker was too green to see it
Re: oh fuck oh no look at this cats film
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
Aside from the horrifying visual, even the music's cunted - perfectly nice song from a musical, wouldn't be right if we didn't turn it into an overblown, emotionless mess.

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2019, 12:02:50 PM »
Horrible.  I've seen the theatre show and the people dressed up as cats look OK, not creepy, because it's live and there's no other option and suspension of disbelief is quite easy.  Do the weird CGI thing and put them in a realistic setting and it's just nasty.

Definitely something shonky about the proportions as well, any interaction with real-life objects looks wrong.

how did they get to this stage without somebody pointing out how terrible the idea was?

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2019, 12:59:09 PM »
Are cats just tiny men ?

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »
Are cats just tiny men ?

I'm sick of women sending me this kind of stuff on dating sites. Just give me my fucking bagel.

Cuellar

• She was having sly love with a midnight creeper
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
yea ive warmed to it too. whats happening to us?

I want to masturbate to cat Taylor Swift, that's what's happenned.

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
shit the fucking pipe, how did this get made?

St_Eddie

• St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2019, 05:49:18 PM »

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2019, 06:01:10 PM »
Have they made all their faces a bit too small or what?

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
Why would it not be a priority of the animators not to keep the tails out of the genital area generally.

non capisco

• A+ in arson class
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2019, 07:30:26 PM »
What none of the trailers and previews tell you is that George Galloway is in this pretending to be a cat again.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2019, 07:49:15 PM »

(I absolutely would fuck that cat thing, though.)

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2019, 09:23:08 PM »

Oh god, my eyes, it’s like a cross between a ballet dancer and a cat. When I heard they were making a film of the musical Cats, I was expecting the dancers to look like fucking Reggae Cybermen or something I don’t know it doesn’t matter.

non capisco

• A+ in arson class
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »
Its tail looks like a throbber.

non capisco

• A+ in arson class
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2019, 10:11:15 PM »
Imagine if your cat started dancing about and singing in English with an erection. I doubt you'd be able to take that in your stride.

Cuellar

• She was having sly love with a midnight creeper
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
Cat-Taylor Swift doesn't actually look that sexy from the trailer now I've watched it again - didn't even realise it was her to begin with. Would rather just look at pictures of Taylor Swift.

Lost interest again.

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2019, 11:39:58 PM »
I honestly don't understand, if they're going to look like humans dressed as cats anyway, why they did this with CGI and uncanny-valleyed it instead of just getting in decent costume and makeup designers.

Bennett Brauer

• I'm not "likeable"
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2019, 03:39:19 AM »
I just hope Judi Dench gets the chance to do her Hartley Hare impression again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvZex3Qf7QQ#t=2m52s

machotrouts

• Twitter
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2019, 04:19:51 AM »
I don't understand how CGI ended up in this. Even if it was good CGI. Why bother at all. You can definitely use costumes to make people look like humans dressed as cats. There's a whole musical where they do that. Maybe they haven't seen it.

I've seen Cats the musical. I liked it! Everyone looked great and not disturbing. I was a child obviously but still. I'm extremely pro people-in-cat-costumes. I remember when my 2000s MSN friends were telling me what furries were and I said I might be a furry because I liked Cats. My Swedish 13-year-old friend replied "That's not exactly hardcore fetish gear Tom. XD" and I decided I wasn't a furry. People still said "XD" in the 2000s.

This looks like when I used my EyeToy to scan my face into a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on the PS2 and played the whole game through as a fully-grown adult with my blurry prepubescent face badly mapped on. I miss the 2000s

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
Does each of the cats have an anus*? Displaying anus is a major cat trait.

*Odd phrasing due lack of confidence about anus pluralization

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »
I don't understand how CGI ended up in this. Even if it was good CGI. Why bother at all. You can definitely use costumes to make people look like humans dressed as cats.

It does seem like a missed opportunity for a costume department to really go to town. Considering the original Cats costumes are famous and everything.

PlanktonSideburns

• be outta here in a jiffy
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
It does seem like a missed opportunity for a costume department to really go to town. Considering the original Cats costumes are famous and everything.

Why pay for a costume department with all their whining and unions and expenses, when you can get some Russian farmer to deepfake it onto a couple of daz3d models with the genitals rubbed off for 99p and a bottle of mountain dew? That would make no business sense.

Hollywood is basically kwiksave now

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2019, 11:44:32 AM »

On top of that, it is just all horrific. Kinda fascinating with this and Sonic how instant the horror-struck reaction is. Gone are the days when any old shit could pass by unscathed. Huge amounts of time have gone into this, millions upon millions of dollars, months, years, of work, with a large number of very big celebrities involved... it's produced, edited, watched, checked, by a lot of people. Then the trailer comes out, and instantly there's a unanimous 'that is fucking hideous mate'.

Humbling.

I guess that why trailers like this and the Sonic one etc. turn up so far ahead of the actual release date (Cats isn't due in cinemas for another 6 months), to allow time to gauge the response and make changes (if it's possible to do so) or mitigate losses by adjusting expectations of success etc. They went off and changed Sonic but that was the look of one character (albeit the main one so probably still an expensive effort to go to). I wouldn't have thought it would be so (relatively) simple to respond to the criticisms of Cats, short of literally re-shooting the whole film with a totally different costumes/CGI (and firing James Corden).

If they even need to that is. I'm starting to get a Titanic vibe about this one, remember when that was rumoured to be a massive turkey, plagued by production problems and a spiralling budget? But the rest is history. I was going to add ''and the film version of Les Miserables cleaned up despite being a ludicrous proposition from the get-go'' but I may be in the minority in thinking that.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • ...and I really do mean that.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »
This looks like absolute fucking toilets. What were they thinking.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2019, 10:41:09 PM »
I hate everything about everything about that.

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »
This just looks like a pretty faithful adaptation of the musical to me. I have no interest in seeing it, but it's exactly what I'd expect from "Cats" on film. I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about, beyond the gleeful thrill of a social media pile-on.

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »
This just looks like a pretty faithful adaptation of the musical to me. I have no interest in seeing it, but it's exactly what I'd expect from "Cats" on film. I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about, beyond the gleeful thrill of a social media pile-on.

Horrible CG and art direction, James Corden.

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »
Horrible CG and art direction, James Corden.

That's how I would like Corden to be introduced at all future events.

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2019, 08:32:12 PM »
I'll be honest, I probably would have sex with cat Taylor Swift, but I'd much rather have sex with normal human Taylor Swift. They should just get rid of the whole "cat" gimmick and call it "Humans"

Glebe

• Cheers, thanks mate, nice one.
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2019, 12:48:05 AM »

This really marks the End of Western Civilisation.