Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:03:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Dead Don’t Die

Started by Twit 2, July 19, 2019, 12:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Fantastic cast :)

Very on the nose, plodding stuff. Amiable enough. Wry knowing tone veering into smugness. Tom Waits was brill, liked his character's commentary much more than the 4th wall breaks. 2 or maybe 3 star film. Don't rush to see it.

bgmnts

Shit reviews so couldnt be arsed to see it.

Sebastian Cobb

Heard about it getting panned and realised it'll probably be on prime or netters soon enough so figured I'd wait.

kidsick5000

It's frustrating because everything is in place for a hugely enjoyable film.
But at some point he just decides he can't be bothered. Some of the Meta stuff is irritatingly smug.
If it had an inch less of charm, it would be awful

zomgmouse

This was really wonderful. It's knowing and self-aware but I think that works and doesn't overstay its welcome. Especially as it contributes to one of the film's most poignant lines: "we've got to give it our best shot, but it'll still end badly". Really tender and loving overall, and unexpectedly whimsical and silly. I enjoyed it a great deal.

Small Man Big Horse

I was put off this after the reviews were pretty mediocre but it was better than I thought it'd be. It's a bit frustrating though as it's not quite as good as it could have been, it takes too long to get going and twenty minutes could easily have been cut out of the first hour, and it introduces way too many characters and then barely does anything with some of them (having Carol Kane and Steve Buscemi in such a tiny roles seemed odd to me) but there is an awful lot to like about it, and though I was a bit confused by the meta elements initially they have a fantastic pay off. 7.2/10

Puce Moment

Enjoyed it enough - I found the meta stuff a bit of a drag as it comes at a point where I was already disengaging from the film. The Man Who Wasn't There did some of this better.

Watchable, passes the time and I am glad he didn't just make a kooky straight zombie film to finance his next passion project, but instead retained lots of very odd stuff that I felt drifted into the realms of the Twin Peaksian.

Dropshadow

What a waste of Bill Murray this was. I think he was trying for the same, droll "Steve Zissou" vibe he used in his, er, Steve Zissou film but it just didn't work here. The Darth Vader guy was useless, and I'll never forgive them for that Star Wars reference. And the zombies were shite. Awful.