Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:12:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A nice, chatty, puzzly sort of game.

Started by Fry, July 19, 2019, 12:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

I'm going to be at my desk with very little work over the next few weeks. I'm, of course, going to be getting plenty of switch time in, but that's not possible all of the time. So I'm looking for something to play on my laptop. I'm looking for something like a point and click adventure, with nice big dialogue trees or interesting conversation mechanics. I'd also go for something more puzzle oriented. A decent story would be nice too. My laptop has decent memory and a good cpu, but only onboard graphics so nothing too flashy.

I also have 13 quid of steam credit sitting in my account so something that costs about that much would be brilliant.

For reference I love Pheonix Wright. I hate those old Lucas Arts adventure games.

What do you reckon?

Zetetic

Might be a bit too LucasArt-sy, but have you played any Wadjet Eye games?

Not quite what you're looking for but I thought I'd mention them:
The Banner Saga (turn-based tactics bit is probably unwanted), Shadowrun - Hong Kong (too RPGy, I suspect)

These probably aren't deep enough or mechanically interesting enough - two games with vaguely similar scenarios:
Tacoma (might be an issue graphics-wise as well), Analogue: A Hate Story (which I'm not sure I actually like)

I imagine this is really selling these to you.

St_Eddie

ScummVM is your friend for classic point and click adventure games.

If you want specific titles, here's my top 20 advenure games (a few of which are playable through ScummVM)...

Day of the Tentacle
The Monkey Island Series
The Gabriel Knight Series
The Longest Journey
Toonstruck
Thimbleweed Park
The Tex Murphy Series
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
The King's Quest Series
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Broken Sword Series
Sam and Max Hit the Road
The Dig
Grim Fandango
The Last Door
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
The Ben Jordan Case Files
Kathy Rain
Dropsy
Machinarium

Quote from: Zetetic on July 19, 2019, 01:07:44 AM
Might be a bit too LucasArt-sy, but have you played any Wadjet Eye games?

I'll second that recommendation.  The Blackwell series is good.

Zetetic

Of the Wadjet Eye games, I think I'd push Unavowed myself. But that could just be recency.

I think that Oxenfree is a good game and story, and it has a couple of interesting conversation mechanics - being able to not say anything for one, and one that I can't really talk about without spoiling (but I can note is only appreciable with second playthroughs).

(It is one of those games that people complain about the dialogue of, like Life is Strange, because they're a bit misguided.)

Fry

Quote from: Zetetic on July 19, 2019, 01:16:02 AM
I think that Oxenfree is a good game and story, and it has a couple of interesting conversation mechanics - being able to not say anything for one, and one that I can't really talk about without spoiling (but I can note is only appreciable with second playthroughs).

(It is one of those games that people complain about the dialogue of, like Life is Strange, because they're a bit misguided.)

I've played through Oxenfree a few times and think it is absolutely fantastic.

Thinking about it more, what I am really after is something to replicate that rush of finally figuring out a contradiction and throwing out a successful objection after spending ten minutes going through the testimony and the court record on Phoenix Wright.

God I wish I could just forget about the Ace Attorney games and do them again from the beginning.

Fry

Thanks for those reccs though, those Wadjet games do look good. I may give them a pop.

bgmnts

Syberia and the Mist series are classics I suppose.

I'm not sure on The Council yet.

I also would say 999: Nine Persons, Nine Faces, Nine Rooms or something like that. Utterly brilliant but its on the DS.

QRDL

Return of the Obra Dinn - best "figuring out the truth" feeling, bar none

or maybe Aviary Attorney

Mister Six

If you don't mind playing on a phone, Ghost Trick is fantastic - you play as a ghost who must manipulate environments to save people's lives. No branching dialogue, but the puzzles are solid and the story is really satisfying and clever. And it has a good god and a great cat in it, too.

Mister Six

bgmnts

In a similar vein to ghost trick, maybe Sexy Brutale?

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2019, 03:25:55 AM
In a similar vein to ghost trick, maybe Sexy Brutale?

Seconded.  Sexy Brutale is a phenomenal game!

falafel

Oh yes, definitely that. Almost fits the bill but makes up for the almost by being great.

Noonling

Not exactly a point and click, but Heaven's Vault is both puzzly and chatty.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Fry on July 19, 2019, 01:25:09 AM
Thinking about it more, what I am really after is something to replicate that rush of finally figuring out a contradiction and throwing out a successful objection after spending ten minutes going through the testimony and the court record on Phoenix Wright.

God I wish I could just forget about the Ace Attorney games and do them again from the beginning.

Fuck, I'm the same except I think I have forgotten them enough. But £30 ! fucking nintendo pricing.

madhair60

2064: Read-Only Memories

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Fry on July 19, 2019, 01:25:09 AM
Thinking about it more, what I am really after is something to replicate that rush of finally figuring out a contradiction and throwing out a successful objection

Ha, I was wondering if I should recommend Contradiction! Spot The Liar and then reading what you posted above just sealed the deal. It's an all-live-action, FMV adventure game in which you're investigating a murder in a small rural English village and the core gameplay revolves around interviewing people, making a list of their responses to questions and then pairing up two responses that contradict each other, which will tease more info from the interviewee & move the story along. There's also the odd bit of standard adventure game object-finding/combining.

I have to say, it's not great, the interface is clunky and some of the solutions are completely backwards and illogical which is exactly what you don't want in that kind of game. BUT as someone who loves laid-back mystery-solving I've enjoyed it a lot for what it is and the FMV makes it a unique experience. The guy playing your investigator character also has a bit of quirky charm to him which elevates a lot of the proceedings.