Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pls recommend star gazing app for android

Started by Brian Freeze, July 19, 2019, 02:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Freeze

As per title, not the most interesting thread but please can someone recommend a star gazing app for me android phone? Ta x

Im sure Ive seen them mentioned here but didnt make a note at the time.

I would have asked this in the technology forum but that is just for games?

alan nagsworth

Have you not just tried looking a bit harder? Come on mate, we all get a bit down-in-the-optics once in a while. To quote Oscare Wilde: "We are all in the gutter, but some of us looking at the stars"

Dex Sawash

Sky map is one you just point it at sky and it shows you WTF is what that you are pointed at. Can toggle on/off planets, satellites, and I dunno what sort of other shit is up there, maybe some of that too

Twed

Dex Sawash

The moon, it'll show you that too. Can enter name of a thing and it guides you with on screen arrows where to point to find it. Works below the horizon too, can locate sun at night and stuff.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 19, 2019, 03:25:08 AM
Sky map is one you just point it at sky and it shows you WTF is what that you are pointed at. Can toggle on/off planets, satellites, and I dunno what sort of other shit is up there, maybe some of that too

Yes, Sky Map is good. You can also put the screen into night vision mode or whatever it's called - red graphics, so you don't lose your night vision looking at it.

touchingcloth

Go here https://in-the-sky.org/location.php and enter the latitude and longitude of your observing location, choose your preferred observing date and time, then print off the celestial map they give you. All you'll need to buy is a red filter for a torch so that you can read the correct right ascensions and azimuths from the printout without affecting your night vision too badly, though I would probably recommend closings your dominant eye and doing the readings with the other one to be on the safe side.

Paul Calf

Another vote for Sky Map here: it's great, and was it was what finally convinced me to get a smartphone all those years ago.

Endicott

Sky Map is good, so is Stellarium which you can get for phone or PC.

Brian Freeze

Got the Sky Map. Looks perfect,  thanks a bunch.

Flatulent Fox

Golden E. Pump

mothman

https://heavens-above.com/ do an Android app but no idea if it's any good. Really HA comes from a time before apps when stargazing was a bit more handraulic...