Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:30:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Game Openings

Started by The Boston Crab, July 19, 2019, 07:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: NoSleep on July 19, 2019, 08:15:23 AM
Can't think of a better game intro than FFVII. Those "stars" are some sort of Mako leak that Aeris is observing when we first see her, or a perhaps a vision that the leak is evoking. It's our first inkling that something is different about Aeris.

Sorry, I was replying to this on my tablet and got distracted. Thanks for that info, that's very cool and makes more sense than stars. I've been devouring various bits of FF7 lore and details now I've finally finished it but I've never heard about this. As you say, it adds even more to the scene and what an interesting idea to start on.

druss

Quote from: Poobum on July 20, 2019, 10:49:25 AM
Red Alert 2, a game I played to death during my chronic insomnia phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd0qg4I_MM

B-Movie bombast, cracking choon. Kirovs, Dreadnoughts, attack squid and apocalypse tanks. "For home country."
I mean it's fine...

But the first one is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJnMaTx4yjI&t=14s

Zetetic

Of all the games to worry about realism or inconsistencies in, I appreciate Red Alert 2 is a poor choice but at least two things are too nonsensical in the opening FMV for me not to be irritated by it:
1. That the Kirovs would have taken hours if not days to reach New York from the point where they were visible.
2. That the 'Welcome to Texas' sign is facing the wrong way (although I guess they could be crossing into New Mexico nearish to Roswell).

Thursday

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 19, 2019, 02:56:09 PM
How's this thread gone this far without somebody mentioning Half-Life?  On that note...

Half-Life.

Because it's boring. Standing around in a train car for 15 minutes. Fuck me it's interminable.

biggytitbo

Half life 2, broken sword, Prey, games that plunge you straight into the story without any interminable exposition, setup,  tutorials or instructions.

Cuntbeaks

earl_sleek

Another vote for Ocarina, but also Morrowind. Jiub, getting off the boat, "ahh yes, we've been expecting you", then tooling around Seyda Neen spying on Bosmer before the inevitable death by mudcrab.

(Obviously an experienced player rinses the customs house etc, but it's somehow more fun when you have absolutely no idea what you're doing).

Poobum

Quote from: Zetetic on July 20, 2019, 11:54:19 AM
Of all the games to worry about realism or inconsistencies in, I appreciate Red Alert 2 is a poor choice but at least two things are too nonsensical in the opening FMV for me not to be irritated by it:
1. That the Kirovs would have taken hours if not days to reach New York from the point where they were visible.
2. That the 'Welcome to Texas' sign is facing the wrong way (although I guess they could be crossing into New Mexico nearish to Roswell).

Also what kind of safety features are in place that they can fire up the missiles for launch without the silo doors being open?

Kryton

Not usually one for overly long cut scenes but Metal Gear solid V was ridiculously over the top. Grim, brutal and fantastical.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 20, 2019, 01:20:06 PM
Half life 2, broken sword, Prey, games that plunge you straight into the story without any interminable exposition, setup,  tutorials or instructions.

The original Prey has you ascending to the alien spaceship to Don't Fear the Reaper. It doesn't get cooler than that.

Dex Sawash

machotrouts

When I was 12, the most exciting thing ever to happen in games was 007 Nightfire having a playable pre-credits sequence (thinly-veiled tutorial) AND credits sequence (with no actual credits) with theme tune (which is like 45 seconds long) (but good!) before you get to a proper menu.

I remember at the time assuming "happy new year indeed, Dominique" must be some sort of really filthy innuendo I was too young to understand. No he just talks like that always.

Noodle Lizard

Bioshock: Infinite is pretty far from being my favourite game, but fucked if that opening 30 minutes or so isn't absolutely stunning.  Everything from the lighthouse, through arriving on Columbia, right up until you get "caught".  So much imagination, cinematic without feeling like a cutscene, genuinely immersive and transportive.  After that it all becomes tedious, repetitive bollocks (with small moments of brilliance), but still.

mikeyg27

Damn, now I'm going to end up playing the opening 20 minutes of Super Metroid again.

EDIT: I hadn't even noticed someone started a Super Metroid thread when I posted this!

The Culture Bunker

Not even the intro, really, but just the opening credits for FF7 captivated me through the music. The first time I played it, I let the whole thing run with a sense of wonder of what was to come.

beanheadmcginty

Kelvin

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 23, 2019, 05:29:56 AM
Bioshock: Infinite is pretty far from being my favourite game, but fucked if that opening 30 minutes or so isn't absolutely stunning.  Everything from the lighthouse, through arriving on Columbia, right up until you get "caught".  So much imagination, cinematic without feeling like a cutscene, genuinely immersive and transportive.  After that it all becomes tedious, repetitive bollocks (with small moments of brilliance), but still.

Great one! I actually really like the entire game, but there's no doubt that the section you describe is the highlight of the entire thing. The atmosphere of the lighthouse, the music once you first arrive, your first experience of the city, and the way they hold back on cracking the facade for so long. Then the gut punch with the grotesque racist caricatures and everything going to shit.   

Kelvin

Ninja Gaiden has a good one - especially atmospheric for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkaiKYEkDQ

That music when his dad lands...

Moribunderast

The opening to the first Broken Sword game completely drew me in and had me hooked to uncover what had happened and why. Still adore that game.

Silent Hill 2 had a similar affect - and the long walk through the fog at the beginning created a sense of dread I had not felt in a game before.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 20, 2019, 01:20:06 PM
...broken sword...

Quote from: Moribunderast on July 24, 2019, 01:32:35 AM
The opening to the first Broken Sword game completely drew me in and had me hooked to uncover what had happened and why. Still adore that game.

Aye, it's a classic opening.  "Paris in the fall..."

C_Larence

Uncharted 2. Train hanging off a cliff mate.

bgmnts

I think the opening sequence to the first two Resident Evil games are pretty brilliant.

Especially if you include 1's brilliant live action sequence. It holds a very special place in my heart.

madhair60

Quote from: C_Larence on July 24, 2019, 03:54:45 AM
Uncharted 2. Train hanging off a cliff mate.

Hold up on the analogue stick while the whitest man alive goes "whoa" and "okay" and "yikes" and "i got this"

Abnormal Palm

Although Uncharted games are not my favourite serie, this opening is an iconic videogame moment which every player can recognise. The first time that gameplay and cinema are combined so professionally. This creates a momentum for the gameplay and the story together which is not still matched in this style of videogame. I agree with your subtext nevertheless that the game would better with a handicap protagonist or woman.

Harpo Speaks

The Last of Us opening blew me away. Goes from an atmosphere of creeping tension and dread, to chaos and panic, before finally delivering an emotional gut-punch before the opening credits even hit. Credits themselves were also really nicely done as well.

Abnormal Palm

Beautiful example, buddy. The music. The arrival on the screen of the name of the game suddenly. The music again. It is a cinematic technique but they deserve it because of the beautiful story and characters. This game made me buy every The Last of Us comic book to discover more about the story. What a journey.

C_Larence

Quote from: madhair60 on July 24, 2019, 11:35:09 AM
Hold up on the analogue stick while the whitest man alive goes "whoa" and "okay" and "yikes" and "i got this"

That's not fair, sometimes you have to press x

Jerzy Bondov

Bloodborne. Fist fighting a werewolf. First visit to the Hunter's Dream. Getting out onto the streets. Climbing the ladder and hearing the beast scream. That fucking gauntlet up to the bonfire. You will learn to do this, or you will not be playing the rest of this game.

bgmnts

People are mentioning epic opening set pieces or cinematic beginnings and i'm mentioning the cheesy live action intronin Resident Evil....