Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:58:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Long, deranged, guitar noodling song recommendations

Started by turnstyle, July 19, 2019, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

One of my favourite songs, and one I've recommend on here before, is Stephen Malkmus' 1% of One from his second solo album. It's basically a 9 minute guitar solo that sprawls across the whole song like a drunk snake in space. I absolutely love it, and it makes me feel like a right silly, joyful bastard every time I listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8UypOF6nSs

My question to you, Cabbers, is can you recommend any other sufficiently guitar noodling songs/albums that will scratch the same itch?

I was raised in the warehouse that used to send out the Britannia Music Club CDs, by the guy that does the context-appropriate music selections on Homes under the Hammer, so my musical landscape is somewhat limited.

NoSleep

Two off the top my head (after a brief listen) would be TNT by Tortoise & Zuma by Neil Young. Anything by Jimi Hendrix, naturally. Anything by Spirit/Randy California (Try out Kaptain Kopter & The Fabulous Twirly Birds or Spirit Of '76 for a starter).

NoSleep

Actually this Malkmus track is getting very Spirit-esque as it unfolds.

Puce Moment

Get yerself some Caspar Brötzmann, some Derek Bailey, perhaps even some Eugene Chadbourne.

Actually, I suspect you might hate them, so maybe go for Norman Westberg's new album.

gilbertharding

I'm going to say You're Living All Over Me - especially the first side - by the Dinosaur Jr.

If you like Mascis there's a great live version of Cortez the Killer on youtube - and also find his Everything Flows/etc medley.

Electric Ladyland also - the long songs on that are great.

turnstyle

Cheers Chums, will listen to some stuff and report back.

What I will say, from a cursory listen, Puce, is that your man Derek Bailey is trying to pull a fast one. It's just him tuning up for an hour!

Puce Moment

Quote from: turnstyle on July 19, 2019, 01:41:32 PM
What I will say, from a cursory listen, Puce, is that your man Derek Bailey is trying to pull a fast one. It's just him tuning up for an hour!

NoSleep

Quote from: turnstyle on July 19, 2019, 01:41:32 PM
Cheers Chums, will listen to some stuff and report back.

All the times I went to see Derek Bailey, he always tuned up before he began to play (standard tuning at that). Despite the superficial "outness" of his music, Bailey always considered himself a regular musician; simply following a more challenging route than most others would dare. The best ways into his world are probably the collection of early works "Pieces For Guitar" where you can join up the dots between where he was headed and where he was coming from (which included being Morecambe & Wise's guitarist). The other one is the album "Ballads" where he applies his method to old standard tunes, so you can definitely see it's not simply "random" what he's doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRpsmA1I6NY

Lots of collaborations with other (non free improv) artists, too: A duet album with Pat Metheny, trio album with Bill Laswell & Tony Williams (Arkana), teaming up with the Japanese duo Ruins (Derek & The Ruins), David Sylvian, funking it up with Jamaladeen Tacuma & Calvin Weston (Mirakle).

Cuellar

chveik

Fushitsusha - Hisou/Pathétique (4th track in particular)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7L3ZlkJT8M

Mainliner - Black Sky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivscwcduhY

edit: listened to the song posted by the op, and I'm afraid I misinterpreted what he asked for. oh well, I guess everyone has a different definition of 'deranged'.

Puce Moment

Twed

Starla- Smashing Pumpkins

Has one of the longest, most deranged, effects laden guitar solos I've heard.

hermitical

Sonny Sharrock, especially his late 80s/early 90s albums

Puce Moment

Nobody has mentioned Steve Reich yet, but he might be up your street.

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic is great at this. George Clinton told the guitarist Eddie Hazel to play the first half like he'd been told that his mother was dead and the second half like he'd found out she was still alive. But the spoken word intro puts me more in mind of something a bit more cosmically pessimistic. something I really like about this tune is that despite the awesome proficiency of the playing, there's something un-slick about the production, it's brilliant musos making really rough music. it's followed on the album by an utterly graceful, controlled soul pop tune , which makes for a delightful one-two combination. the cover version of maggot brain by j. mascis on youtube is also lovely,

Maybe not noodly enough but it makes me then want to listen to Starless by King Crimson, and The Asphalt World by Suede, both a bit more controlled and mainstream but still good.

Totally agree with the namecheck for Bill Orcutt above, his recent s/t album really shows how to do a solo guitar record, the opening cover of ornette coleman's Lonley Woman is probably the best thing on it

Somewhat overlooked now, but Sonic Youth's mid-late period had some lovely noodly stuff on them, The Diamond Sea off Washing Machine is more like a bubblebath than a sea

Coming back to Suede, the live versions of Stay Together and He's Dead that Bernard Butler was did on the last tour with them were quite unhinged.

Maybe a bit more self-conciously, 'I'm mad, me!!!' but Fripp's guitar solo on David Bowie's It's no Game part One is something I'd love to be able to play

Last thing, more jazzy than rocky but Tortoise guitarist Jeff Parker's album the New Breed is fantastic

chveik

The live version of Dark Star on the Grateful Dead's Live/Dead is one of those brilliant tunes that totally kills off your interest in a band when they're other stuff isn't as good.
A bit more Malkmus-ish, Kurt Vile's Walking on a Pretty Daze is good.
and then as for hendrix stuff, I guess I'd pick Machine Gun as his masterpiece

Quote from: hermitical on July 19, 2019, 05:57:41 PM
Sonny Sharrock, especially his late 80s/early 90s albums
can you reccomend one, please?

NoSleep

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 19, 2019, 06:51:48 PM
Nobody has mentioned Steve Reich yet, but he might be up your street.

Wild guitarist. Got the clap didn't he?

NoSleep

Quote from: chveik on July 19, 2019, 02:19:26 PM
edit: listened to the song posted by the op, and I'm afraid I misinterpreted what he asked for. oh well, I guess everyone has a different definition of 'deranged'.

Yeah, the OP is looking for some post-rock guitar musings.

I'll use that as a cue to recommend Red Sparowes and Pelican and also the proto-post rock Dif Juz.

greenman

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on July 19, 2019, 07:35:48 PM
The live version of Dark Star on the Grateful Dead's Live/Dead is one of those brilliant tunes that totally kills off your interest in a band when they're other stuff isn't as good

Besides the many many live versions of it Garcia's guitar solo for the Zabriskie Point soundtrack is probably as close as you'll get...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKZ7tXyMf2w

Following on from the Cale thread Eno messing around(in real time) with the solo on Gun is pretty interesting IMHO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uURZiipri54

Puce Moment

Quote from: NoSleep on July 19, 2019, 08:38:23 PMWild guitarist. Got the clap didn't he?

Only one person in the audience, the poor fucker.

Quote from: chveik on July 19, 2019, 07:49:30 PM
^ try Ask the Ages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDR87-HRhA

Love the guitar playing on this, I really like the way he articulates every single note so clearly. I think you would like the Jeff Parker album I mentiobed above, especially the tunes Jrifted and Executive Life. but my inner health and safety officer was a bit worried Pharoah Sanders on the sax was going to do himself an injury... do you reckon there's some truth in the idea Coltrane died from playing like that?

chveik

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on July 19, 2019, 09:47:15 PM
I think you would like the Jeff Parker album I mentiobed above, especially the tunes Jrifted and Executive Life.

that's great, cheers!

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on July 19, 2019, 09:47:15 PM
do you reckon there's some truth in the idea Coltrane died from playing like that?

frankly it seems a bit ludicrous.

Pauline Walnuts

NoSleep

NoSleep