Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:58:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sitcom worlds

Started by Utter Shit, July 19, 2019, 04:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Hat FM

Game on would be good. live with peak time samantha janus and never leave the house. boom.

The Culture Bunker

Cheers - live in a world where you can arse about in a bar, all day, every day and seemingly never get drunk* or even have to pay for the booze. Plus I always found Fraiser's first wife extremely attractive.

*unless Carla makes cocktails.

Icehaven

Just A Gigolo. A young Tony Slattery on the game? Hand me my wallet. 

gilbertharding

Quote from: Hat FM on July 22, 2019, 12:34:45 PM
Game on would be good. live with peak time samantha janus and never leave the house. boom.

Or Coupling.

dr_christian_troy

The Addams Family. Become pals with the family, hang out in their amazing house and generally be reinvigorated with a zest for life the Gomez way.

phes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 20, 2019, 05:08:45 PM
One could argue that the tragedy of the Seinfeld Four is that they're destined to die alone, having never savoured the soul-fulfilling joy of deep, meaningful love, but I quite like the idea of living to a ripe old age and not giving a shit about any of that. Imagine drifting off into eternal sleep with a casually satisfied, Jerry-esque "meh". Sounds nice, doesn't it?

I reckon given the nature of the relationships with parents and relatives, they go one further than presenting them as romantic failures and call bullshit on deep and meaningful love in general.

I'd go for Seinfeld world. I can have deep and meaningful love for the sandwich and nobody can prove otherwise

McFlymo

Wasn't there an implication that Mike from Spaced was maybe a closet gay?

"I've always fancied myself as a bit of a soldier"
"Yeah, I've always fancied myself..."
"I've always fancied you..."
"Not here!"

So .... Yes. I would like to live forever in a world where Nick Frost is gay. Thank you please. And good night.

..... Oh lordy!!!

Mister Six

Spaced, so long as it meant I was a twentysomething again and got to shag Jessica Stevenson. Although Tim's a bit of a twat, so I'm not sure if I'd actually want to hang around with him. And gaming technology would never progress beyond the PS1. Actually, scratch this one.

I'd quite like to be one of Larry David's mates in Curb, just pissing about in my mansion before standing on the sidelines of one of Larry's capers. And I'd like to be mates with Leon.

But yeah, eternal consequence-free arsing about in 1990s New York as the fifth Seinfeld gang member is clearly the best option. Especially as I'd be pulling much, much hotter women than me on a near-weekly basis.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 20, 2019, 12:45:54 AM
Archer - The chance to be a super spy and seemingly immortal would be hard to pass up.

But isn't that role reserved for Archer himself? I think anyone on CaB would be more likely to be one of the minor supporting characters who gets brutally killed as the punchline to a gag. Or, worse, as the setup to a gag

Gregory Torso

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2019, 07:14:28 PM
FRIENDS

Imagine the horror of living in the Friends universe, dressed for eternity in a bright multi-coloured waistcoast that is so big and baggy you could probably tuck your arms and legs inside like a tortoise if Ross gets aggressive. You've got Color Me Badd hair so big and fluffy that there are bees and toothpaste caps stuck in it. You are not allowed to speak if one of the Fends is talking and doing a bit, which is most of the time of your being. Maybe Chandler is bobbing up and down like a shit-the-bed budgerigar saying something secretly appalling in his voice that even he hates to have to hear; maybe Phoebe bought a haunted dildo and now her soul is leaking out of her muff making everything in the coffee shop taste like poltergeists; Gunther used to have lines, until they cut out his tongue and now he bows his head and molts his hair into the cold pudding thick coffee that you have to subsist on.

Endless mute nightmare, stuck in your spot. They tell you that you live in New York, the establishing shots say it, on the napkins it says 'central park, new york', but you have never seen anything beyond this counterfeit overlit street. You cannot leave your cardboard prison. You can't go shopping, you can only "get" coffee or "get" pizza, that's it. Your existence in a bollock. You have never been to the Guggenheim, the Statue Of Liberty, all of the New York things! You have never said "Aye, fock yew buddy" to a police cop who tries to ticket you for jay walkings. Never seen an Italian in a vest. Or a pigeon deliberately sneeze on another pigeon as they chase after a pretzel bagel whatever the fuck that is you don't know youv'e never SEEN ONE

You're so bored and you can't die, you can only wait for one of the Friends to get off a good one, a zinger, so the sudden trumpets herald will sound and you will briefly cease to exist, blissfully return to the vacuum of "cut", as the action moves to the apartment where only Friends and Guest Appearances are allowed.

At best - at best - you might get to fuck Joey or Ross and then they will go and talk about you next door with their real Friends about what a quasimodo-looking absolute gorgon you are, what a mangle-dicked fat-titted chupacabra, "come and look at it" Ross whispers and you have to pretend to be sleeping as one by one they look at you round the door and shake their hair in disapproval and say like "oh my gawd" and the audience gives its raucous blessing.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 22, 2019, 08:29:11 PM

At best - at best - you might get to fuck Joey or Ross and then they will go and talk about you next door with their real Friends about what a quasimodo-looking absolute gorgon you are, what a mangle-dicked fat-titted chupacabra, "come and look at it" Ross whispers and you have to pretend to be sleeping as one by one they look at you round the door and shake their hair in disapproval and say like "oh my gawd" and the audience gives its raucous blessing.

Gave me big laughs. Thanks, Gregory.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 22, 2019, 08:29:11 PM
Imagine the horror of living in the Friends universe, dressed for eternity in a bright multi-coloured waistcoast that is so big and baggy you could probably tuck your arms and legs inside like a tortoise if Ross gets aggressive. You've got Color Me Badd hair so big and fluffy that there are bees and toothpaste caps stuck in it. You are not allowed to speak if one of the Fends is talking and doing a bit, which is most of the time of your being. Maybe Chandler is bobbing up and down like a shit-the-bed budgerigar saying something secretly appalling in his voice that even he hates to have to hear; maybe Phoebe bought a haunted dildo and now her soul is leaking out of her muff making everything in the coffee shop taste like poltergeists; Gunther used to have lines, until they cut out his tongue and now he bows his head and molts his hair into the cold pudding thick coffee that you have to subsist on.

Endless mute nightmare, stuck in your spot. They tell you that you live in New York, the establishing shots say it, on the napkins it says 'central park, new york', but you have never seen anything beyond this counterfeit overlit street. You cannot leave your cardboard prison. You can't go shopping, you can only "get" coffee or "get" pizza, that's it. Your existence in a bollock. You have never been to the Guggenheim, the Statue Of Liberty, all of the New York things! You have never said "Aye, fock yew buddy" to a police cop who tries to ticket you for jay walkings. Never seen an Italian in a vest. Or a pigeon deliberately sneeze on another pigeon as they chase after a pretzel bagel whatever the fuck that is you don't know youv'e never SEEN ONE

You're so bored and you can't die, you can only wait for one of the Friends to get off a good one, a zinger, so the sudden trumpets herald will sound and you will briefly cease to exist, blissfully return to the vacuum of "cut", as the action moves to the apartment where only Friends and Guest Appearances are allowed.

Thank you for writing this, it's beautiful.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Mister Six on July 22, 2019, 07:12:16 PMBut yeah, eternal consequence-free arsing about in 1990s New York as the fifth Seinfeld gang member is clearly the best option.

I think they'd end up trying to avoid me the way they try to avoid Newman, Kenny Bania and Crazy Joe Davola.

Trailer park boys. I'd love to be in that world of drugs, liquor and grease. Oh wait..

Bazooka

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 24, 2019, 09:00:01 PM
Love Thy Neighbour.

Good choice,, its black and white (pun intended/not intended depending on comedic value), straight up bigotry and rivalry, but would probably lose some charm and become exhausting after a month.

However, it does lack the wide variety of "others" and their funny little ways depicted in the peerless Mind Your Language. 

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 25, 2019, 12:15:24 PM
However, it does lack the wide variety of "others" and their funny little ways depicted in the peerless Mind Your Language.

Oh come on, the German women in it was uncannily like Angela Merkel.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 25, 2019, 12:51:03 PM
Oh come on, the German women in it was uncannily like Angela Merkel.

I see what you mean. 

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 25, 2019, 01:29:49 PM

I see what you mean.

Oops, I meant woman, not women. As if an EFL class would have more than one of any nationality!

From what I've seen on yeecheeb, MYL wasn't particularly unpleasant. They were daft stereotypes but at least it never seems nasty at any stage. Love Thy Neighbour on the other hand does seem heavy-handed, and I doubt that the sambo/honky bickering was even amusing at the time.

I had a look at the trailer for the film yesterday - I vaguely remember Brundle-Fly posting it back in the day. I don't get the logic of each neighbour taking it out on another neighbour who isn't to blame.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baOsaOrrUoQ

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Living in Spaced wouldn't be all that different from my life as it is, except that my lack of direction would be funny, instead of a bit sad.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 25, 2019, 05:36:07 PM
Oops, I meant woman, not women. As if an EFL class would have more than one of any nationality!

From what I've seen on yeecheeb, MYL wasn't particularly unpleasant. They were daft stereotypes but at least it never seems nasty at any stage. Love Thy Neighbour on the other hand does seem heavy-handed, and I doubt that the sambo/honky bickering was even amusing at the time.

I had a look at the trailer for the film yesterday - I vaguely remember Brundle-Fly posting it back in the day. I don't get the logic of each neighbour taking it out on another neighbour who isn't to blame.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baOsaOrrUoQ

Yes, Love Thy Neighbour was pretty crass stuff but Mind Your Language wasn't great from what I recall (I was quite young). I remember quite a bit of head wobbling and "goodness gracious me" accents from the Indian and Pakistani contingent.

Brundle-Fly

The Flintstones for the comfortable looking clothes, no electricity bills, cheap motor running costs and of course, just for the rib portions alone (although as a kid I did use to think this was a designer lounge chair the waitress was offering up)

Jockice

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 25, 2019, 07:13:17 PM
Yes, Love Thy Neighbour was pretty crass stuff but Mind Your Language wasn't great from what I recall (I was quite young). I remember quite a bit of head wobbling and "goodness gracious me" accents from the Indian and Pakistani contingent.

You'd be surprised how funny some of these people found it though. I have a Pakistani friend who told me it was essential viewing for her family. They loved it.

To this day she's the only person I can tolerate doing the faux-Jock 'hoots mon, och aye the noo' bit. I respond with a head wobbling 'oh dearie dearie me.' And we both laugh.

On the subject of Love Thy Neighbour I've surely told the tale of how I got cyber-stalked for weeks on another forum by someone simply for saying that I didn't think it was that offensive. He claimed that it encouraged thousands of people to join the National Front and was trying to get me to break down in tears and admit I was Martin Webster's boyfriend or something. Anyway I later told a black schoolfriend about it and he said he thought it was just not unracist but actually anti-racist. Which just goes to show. Something. That I have black and Asian friends if nothing else. Well done me.

To be honest I can't remember the kids I hung around with at the time (I was a kid myself, Yew Tree fans) talking about Love Thy Neighbour. The Goodies and Monty Python were probably the most popular comedy shows with our crowd. Actually, The Goodies world wouldn't be a bad one - living with two other men, sharing a "trandem", battling giant kittens...

smudge1971

I Didn't Know You Cared. Proper beer, proper pubs, and out every night. Wild sex with Linda Preston. Days out with Mort and Uncle Staveley. Only ever have to say "Aye", "Well" and "Hmm". Possible nookie with Anita Carey.

I've changed my mind - I've gone off the idea of living in the Love Thy Neighbour world, with all its hilarious darkies-next-door shenanigans. The mention of proper beer and proper pubs made me think of Early Doors.