Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

king stupid, any good?

Started by danabnormal, February 25, 2004, 08:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danabnormal

while searching through the radio7 website which is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/comedy/index.shtml?Today
i came across this
Quote12:00-12:30  
King Stupid
William Van Dyke presents the panel game on a Bring Your Pet to Work Day. Guests include Peter Baynham and Sue Perkins. [Rptd today 7.00pm and Saturday 5.30am]
its on friday and just wondered if anyone has heard of this before?

Entropy Balsmalch

It was quite good.

Very like I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, but not as wanky and laughless.

Peter Baynham was fantastic and a resident pannelist.

Some of the guests, for example the above mentioned Sue Perkins were just terrible though.

elderford

I remember it being a regular whine from listeners on BBC R4's Feedback programme.

All I can recall is the brain behind it denying that the title was a contraction of Fucking Stupid.

alan strang

Quote from: "Entropy Balsmalch"Very like I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, but not as wanky and laughless.

Wash your mouth out.

QuoteSome of the guests, for example the above mentioned Sue Perkins were just terrible though.

And ironically they sacked William Van Dyck  as host, drafted in Sue Perkins as a replacement and renamed it 'The 99p Challenge'.

'King Stupid' is a must - check out the final round - which featured Baynham doing a 'conveyer belt' thing, and coming up with a list of surreal items very similar to the 'Celebrity Trashcan' feature of the GLR/Radio 1 shows.

benthalo

Never heard these at the time, so I've been following the BBC7 repeats. The sixth and final edition goes out on Friday.

I found them a major disappointment. WVD's a good host, but to my ears the show rarely rises above 99p standard Cecil & Riley-ness. It's actually one of those shows which reminds you that there's a seventy-minute studio tape out there and these are the highlights. Perhaps the sessions were a joy in themselves, but the producer must have bled a lot of that away in the editing room.

Jemble Fred

I really like 99p Challenge, and find it encouraging that it still has a prominent section on the R4 site - hopefully there'll be some more along soon.

It's no ISIHAC, though...

Darrell

The 99p Challenge is only great when Baynham is going off on one - it's generally quite poor, embarrassing almost, and those unnecessarily forced in scripted bits can piss off too. Sue Perkins is an irritating host.

In other words, no ISIHAC, but worth it for the odd flash of brilliance. More often than not it's Baynham who supplies them.

I've never heard King Stupid, though.

tony peanuts

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I really like 99p Challenge, and find it encouraging that it still has a prominent section on the R4 site - hopefully there'll be some more along soon.

It's no ISIHAC, though...

I wholeheartedly concur.

How many series of 99p Challenge have there been?  I only learnt of its existence halfway through the last series - subsequent Soulseek searches suggest* that this was series 3, but the only other episodes I've been able to find are 3 from 2001 (apparently series 1).  Anyone know of any copies of the rest of the series?

* I like alliteration

Jemble Fred

Ah, well, I can't agree there - nobody's made me guffaw more in 99pc than Armando and Simon Pegg. Obviously Sue Perkins' bits are shite, though.

From what I remember, King Stupid was precisely the same as 99PC, but instead of winning 99p, you became King Stupid.

Darrell

I've got all 17 episodes of 99p Challenge somewhere. They're around on Soulseek, that's where I got them from anyway. The sound quality of series 1's not too hot (sounds like a stream capture), but the other two sound very good (2 in particular).

(That was to Tony Peanuts)

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Entropy Balsmalch"Very like I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, but not as wanky and laughless.

Wash your mouth out.

Quite what is the attraction of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue?

I've never understood it's appeal to anyone my age (29).

It seems its best years are well and truly behind it.

Most of the rounds are one-laugh jokes dragged out far 30 years - eg Mornington Crescent.

Some even don't have the one-laugh element - One Song to the Tune of Another, Swanee Kazzoo.

Tim Brooke Taylor's ideas and jokes are seldom less than stale old music hall gags delivered with all the panache and timing of a dead postman.

The only funny bits are Humprhey's intros if he doesn't gabble them too fast and his double entendres about Susan.

*And before anyone points out I seem to have a lot of knowledge about a programme I don't like and clearly have listened to a great deal - I've had it inflicted on me throughout my childhood by my parents.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Entropy Balsmalch"
Quote from: "alan strang"

Wash your mouth out.

Quite what is the attraction of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue?

I've never understood it's appeal to anyone my age (29).

It seems its best years are well and truly behind it.

Most of the rounds are one-laugh jokes dragged out far 30 years - eg Mornington Crescent.

Some even don't have the one-laugh element - One Song to the Tune of Another, Swanee Kazzoo.

Tim Brooke Taylor's ideas and jokes are seldom less than stale old music hall gags delivered with all the panache and timing of a dead postman.

The only funny bits are Humprhey's intros if he doesn't gabble them too fast and his double entendres about Susan.

*And before anyone points out I seem to have a lot of knowledge about a programme I don't like and clearly have listened to a great deal - I've had it inflicted on me throughout my childhood by my parents.

Odd - you seem to be in such a genuinely small minority there's not much to say. One Song to the Tune of Another particularly is consistently among the best moments of radio I've ever heard. Only about 1 time in 10 does ISIHAC fail to make me laugh till I hurt, and make the world seem a better place.

Definitely a horses for courses case.

benthalo

Seventeen shows, Darrell?

Series 1
6 x 30mins
TX: 22/06/00 - 27/07/00

Series 2
6 x 30mins
TX: 19/07/01 - 23/08/01

Series 3
6 x 30mins
TX: 04/02/03 - 11/03/03

Darrell

I was always led to believe that the fourth episode of series 1 was never transmitted.

benthalo

I must have missed this. What was the story there then? I can probably check this for certain with BBC records, although I'm sure I listened to all of that run.

Darrell

More than one person has told me that it wasn't transmitted, and nobody has a copy, so I've been trusting this as the explanation.

tony peanuts

I'm currently downloading 6 episodes from series 1 from some lovely person on Soulseek called Iain, so it seems that there are 18 episodes in total.  Won't be able to listen to them to make sure until tonight .

Thanks for your help earlier by the way  (That was to Darrell)

And, if he's reading this, thanks Iain.

Darrell

6 episodes, eh? Give me a bell on Soulseek and I'll sling you series 2 and 3.

I wouldn't mind having a nosey at your series 1, either...

Godzilla Bankrolls

Wasn't Richard Herring supposed to be a regulart on 99p Challenge, but was told that he "didn't fit in" after his appearance?

99p Challenge is worth listening to for Baynham's inventive daftness, but some of the guests are lovely (Jack Docherty, Iannucci being slightly News Quiz). Pegg, his ugly twin Nick Frost and Sue Perkins all serve to make this show a far more wanky effort than ISIHAC, I think.

I've not heard any King Stupids, I hope someone has the good sense to capture them.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

King Stupid is a great show. If only for:

Vandyke: Our next round is called, somewhat controversially, 'You're The Jesus'. I'm going to invite our pane...(FX: PHONE RINGS)...hello?...yes...yes...ah, I see...(REPLACES PHONE)...well, apparently we're not doing that round after all.

The sheer obviousness of that delights me.

Everything Vandyke says is funny. After they play a bit of Radiohead: 'Now, Thom tells us he doesn't want any surprises...'

And Baynham being asked to 'over-react to the complete destruction of the universe'.

Lots of bog-standard, bread-and-butter Rileyisms, I agree, but there are lots of occasions where it rises above that. And David Tyler kept them in.

Quote from: "Entropy Balsmalch"Quite what is the attraction of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue?.

I don't like it either.

I'd like to offer analysis beyond 'it doesn't make me laugh', so I'll say I hate its in-jokeyness for one.

Darrell

On an ISIHAC theme, a new series of 'You'll Have Had Your Tea' begins tonight at 11:15pm, which I'll be encoding for myself (I won't be buying the official release if it's as badly mastered as the first series was).

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"One Song to the Tune of Another particularly is consistently among the best moments of radio I've ever heard.

Bottom, bottom, counterpa-aine... Bottom, bottom, counterpa-aine....

Darrell

There's an MP3 labelled s1ep4 which is a fake file (it's a series 3 show). You can spot it as it's encoded at 96kbps.

The real s1ep4 is a 32kbps file and has Mel Giedroyc as a guest.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "DevlinC"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"One Song to the Tune of Another particularly is consistently among the best moments of radio I've ever heard.

Bottom, bottom, counterpa-aine... Bottom, bottom, counterpa-aine....

Thanks for pointing out one of the only truly shit bits of OTH.

benthalo

What, Coogan's Cryer impression "truly shit"? I'll see you outside.

Speak of the devil and it shall appear... series 1 of The 99p Challenge starts on BBC7 next Monday at 23:30 with a middle of the night repeat.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Here's what R Herring says about his appearance:

QuoteI wasn't offered a regular place. I was supposed to record 4 eps (2 each
week) but after my first week the producer, Sarah Smith decided I didn't
fit in with the show and I was sacked from appearing again. I had been a
bit rude in one of the shows - aware that my comments could be cut, but
when I asked between shows if I should change anything Smith told me
that we just needed to come in quicker with the answers. I hadn't been
on top form in my opinion, but none of the other panellists seemed
concerned and I assumed I'd be coming back. Certainly everyone involved
had worked with me before and one would have felt they would have
confidence that I fitted in with a group of people who were essentially
all my friends.
But during the week I was told I wasn't required.
I don't know what was really going on here. I feel perhaps that Smith
had some other issues about this (she'd been upset that we hadn't used
her to produce TMWRNJ - which in actual fact she was unavailable for in
any case). Maybe I was just rubbish; I think I was a bit over-excited
that week. But people I talked to in the audience thought I'd done OK.
So there we go. That's as good as I remember it.
As I only did the one evening I don't have many other anecdotes
Hope that helps
R

Interesting. There's nothing wrong with Herring's performance, as far as I can tell.

benthalo

That was covered in the old SOTCAA article, although I don't think it's online anymore.

Did anyone cap today's show? I had a powercut at this end.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I never knew there was a SOTCAA article on 99p Challenge. Does anyone have it saved?

ApexJazz

Oh lordy....all this slaggin' off of ISIHAC!