Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The American Dream?

Started by Menyatta Zondatta, July 19, 2019, 10:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Right, so I've been granted a pretty big assignment for my English class, which requires to find some books about the American Dream to have a read of. So far I'm thinking Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 and the Great Gatsby, but does anyone on here have any insights on what else to read?

Funcrusher

John Updike's Rabbit series? Isn't it Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that references the American dream? Richard Ford's The Sportswriter? The Swimmer or other stuff by John Cheever?

Oh yeah, you're right I got the wrong fear & loathing. Thanks, I'll check those books out asap.

sponk

American Psycho, The Art of the Deal, Dreams From my Father, The US Constitution, Requiem for a Dream

Small Man Big Horse

If you're allowed to include comics I'd recommend Shade The Changing Man by Peter Milligan, issues 1 - 20.

bgmnts

The greatest fiction there is.

There's probably a lot of this in Steinbeck.

Saul Bellow's "The Adventures of Augie March"

chveik

Faulkner - Light in August
Sinclair Lewis - Babbitt

mr. logic

Philip Roth - American Pastoral

nw83

Yates - Revolutionary Road. A couple attains the American dream - good white-collar job, classic white-picket fence house, two children - think it's boring and they're better (more bohemian, I guess) than it, and mock others who are satisfied with it while making future plans to escape.

Twit 2

"The American Dream" by Mr America Dream.

H-O-W-L

Of Mice and Men is on the standard curriculum, or at least it was when I was a kid. Dunno if you've already read it or not. It's a bit of an uninspired choice and a legitimately terrible novel to sit through for research but it's also easy as shit to find.

Pink Gregory

and further on Steinbeck; the Winter of our Discontent.  If I remember correctly there's something about a son having to write and essay about 'Why I Love America' and things are complicated.