Author Topic: His Dark Materials (BBC)  (Read 12949 times)

JesusAndYourBush

• Earnest silky coconut shell
    • http://www.google.com
Re: His Dark Materials (BBC)
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2019, 01:48:55 AM »
Will at this early stage. He and his mum were well cast and it feels like it’s a adding a point of interest for the TV audience.

That was the part happening in the real world, yes?(I'm really shit at remembering names.)
I found those bits tedious.  I'm sure they'll have relevance later but I don't know where those bits are going and I just found them a drag.

« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2019, 02:50:15 AM »
I get that they're short on time and have to cut a lot out but they really fucked up by not having Billy cling onto a dried fish as if it was his daemon, it's what made the scene so sad in the book, and has was even in a shed full of them!
Maybe they thought it was too grim for pre watershed tv?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Are we human? Or are we toilet
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2019, 07:48:21 AM »
They showed him being cremated so I don't think grim was off the table. I did think considering the build up to the moment they should have included that. It's not like it would have taken any more time.

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
The acting/direction seemed particularly sloppy this episode (the lead girl seemingly not understanding some of what she was saying, nor its context; something a director should have overseen). One actor clearly said "substance", where the word in the script must have been "subsistence".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2019, 03:42:09 PM »
The acting/direction seemed particularly sloppy this episode (the lead girl seemingly not understanding some of what she was saying, nor its context; something a director should have overseen). One actor clearly said "substance", where the word in the script must have been "subsistence".

Pretty sure that was you mishearing/misinterpreting.

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2019, 04:06:00 PM »
I checked it back (because I couldn't believe it) and heard right.

« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2019, 08:30:41 PM »
NoSleep's right, the word definitely should've been "subsistence". How on earth did that not get noticed throughout the whole production/post-production process?

I was thinking watching the last one how it would be relatively simple, should you be so inclined, to edit out all the "Our World" bits altogether. I assume those are just there to fill the runtime out to a full hour, you'd probably end up with a tighter 45 minutes or so without them.

« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
Just did a little experiment with episode 2 and cutting all the Boreal scenes gets it down to a tidier forty-nine and a bit minutes. And nothing of value was lost.

touchingcloth

• She is hot in the arse.
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2019, 11:10:16 PM »
You should release it as a torrent: the Aurora Boreal-less cut.

purlieu

• Woo-hoo, Lord Nimon!
« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2019, 11:24:44 PM »
Of anything, the daemon issue is the one bothering me about this. I understand you're not going to have every character with a fully animated daemon around them at all times because of budget, but I don't think we even saw Pantalaimon until about halfway through last night's episode. Several scenes went by without a single daemon in sight and then Billy's return evoked "where's his daemon?" responses immediately. As others have said, just a few tame animals around the sets would help.

Really though, the lack of the fish moment - regardless of character name - definitely dulled the brutal reality of the scene. The accompanying section of the book was rendered horrifying through the character's desperation, and it was totally lost on screen. Another example of the daemon element being totally downplayed.

In terms of the stuff set in our world, I think it's a mixture of cowardly and wise. I think a cold open on Will's story at the start of series 2 would have been a huge game changer for fans, at the same time I understand opening the plot up to tell viewers that this is a bigger story than just Lyra's own voyages in her own world. If I recall correctly, the book points out that the story will visit other worlds in coming volumes, and thus this is all acting like that. It does seem that The Subtle Knife's opening scene is coming next, however, and I do wonder just how the two plots are going to converge smoothly with three episodes still remaining.

touchingcloth

« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2019, 11:54:44 PM »
It’s a shame we won’t have that cold open I think, though I’m not sure it would work as well on screen as it does in the book. Part of what makes it such a strong way to open the book is that it follows a thick book spent following Lyra closely, so it’s disorienting to be presented with this new boy in a new world. Maybe they could have made the programme make us feel the same way, but they’ve already shot their wad showing Will, and regardless I don’t feel at all as invested in the screen Lyra. That’s more a criticism of the medium than the writing - books give much more intimacy with characters.

« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »
Of anything, the daemon issue is the one bothering me about this. I understand you're not going to have every character with a fully animated daemon around them at all times because of budget, but I don't think we even saw Pantalaimon until about halfway through last night's episode. Several scenes went by without a single daemon in sight and then Billy's return evoked "where's his daemon?" responses immediately. As others have said, just a few tame animals around the sets would help.

Really though, the lack of the fish moment - regardless of character name - definitely dulled the brutal reality of the scene. The accompanying section of the book was rendered horrifying through the character's desperation, and it was totally lost on screen. Another example of the daemon element being totally downplayed.

Yep. This is what I’ve been getting at the whole time. That scene completely lost its impact because they’ve fudged the issue so badly. Even when they were back in the camp and Ma Costa was comforting her son, asking about his daemon, I was just being reminded that she herself does not appear to have one.

They did give an extra a squirrel so they presumably thought that would be enough to emphasise it.

I thought the kid playing Will was good, despite being sure about his early introduction, but they devoted too much time to scene-setting in his story when they could have saved that for later and given Lyra’s story, at this point still the main focus, more time to develop.

Big letdown after a promising improvement last week.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »

Some beautifully shot moments too, such as the mum running her fingers along the wood.

They edit out all the sexy bits for america, i reckon

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2019, 09:33:31 PM »
Well, don't fuck with Serafina!

Ja'moke

• based on the novel Push by Sapphire
    • Inside Survivor
« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2019, 09:49:57 PM »
Easily the best episode so far. A nice little prison-break drama with some genuinely grim moments. I definitely think the series is improving as it moves along.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2019, 11:05:36 PM »
Bit messy. The setup was good but the breakout didn't establish enough real tension and the Tartars threat wasn't established properly either, they were just goons who in the end literally got zapped by a witch. Who didn't kill Coulter even though presumably she knew she was there.

In the end it felt rushed, an episode frantically trying to get from A to B.
A reminder scene from the other world really made me laugh because there characters in the car are actually waiting for the turn to do something. Very unusual to have such a visual depiction of a starting gun on a narrative going off too soon. Anyway, that was short.

Some of the dialogue really sucked, too.

And, despite the cliffhanger they show Lyra surviving and talking in the 'on next week's episode'?!?!

Lyra herself was the best thing about this episode by a mile.

touchingcloth

« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2019, 11:48:40 PM »
^ on the characters in the car thing, that really is rushing to tell Will’s story. Are we going to see Cittàgazze before the series ends?

purlieu

• Woo-hoo, Lord Nimon!
« Reply #227 on: Yesterday at 10:17:16 PM »
Mostly very good, the horror of the intercision device was reasonably well handled. The breakout was a touch rushed, but overall I enjoyed that. I assume we'll get Will's break-in next week and then him meeting Lyra at the very end of the series. It's fairly daft, but I still understand it in terms of setting up the multiple-worlds thing as a key part of the overall story for potentially fickle viewers.
And, despite the cliffhanger they show Lyra surviving and talking in the 'on next week's episode'?!?!
Given all the prophecy stuff, I doubt anyone believes she'd be killed off before the end of the first series.

« Reply #228 on: Yesterday at 10:56:46 PM »
That was pretty fucking bleak for something weans will be watching.