Author Topic: His Dark Materials (BBC)  (Read 18063 times)

Inspector Norse

• I bash the Bishop well.
Re: His Dark Materials (BBC)
« Reply #270 on: December 30, 2019, 10:04:38 PM »
Nobody watch the last episode of the series then?

I guess we were all excited for it.

I only got round to it today because I was away over Christmas without access to HBO Nordic.

A good final episode, one of the strongest overall with (for once) some serious drama and a sense that things previously hidden or only hinted at were now coming to the fore. The scene atop the mountain was well handled - as mentioned above, it's easy to imagine someone without prior knowledge watching and expecting Lyra to save Roger.

I do agree that on the whole things were a bit too stuffily BBC, with the plot veering strangely from hasty exposition to turgid timewasting. The future seasons might get a bit more budget to play with, and at least the move away from Lyra's world will mean an end to the unsatisfying depictions of demons, with only Pan and one or two others hanging around.

A reasonable effort, then, but needs better balance in its storytelling and worldbuilding, and more subtlety and gravity in its themes. Given that they apparently started filming the second series before the first was actually released, it'll be interesting to see what if anything they look at doing better, given that reviews in general were only mildly positive.

« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »
S2 Trailer

https://youtu.be/FnFsU7SY0Gk

Citagazze looks pretty great.  I think looking back the greatest disappointment for me was the ultra-generic score, and that looks to be continuing.  I suppose with Citagazze we avoid the 'not enough daemons' issue as well, handily.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Mr Moose is up! It's done done done!
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2020, 07:34:32 PM »
It had just enough of the books magic in places to keep me involved but just as much was frustrating, either cackhanded or embrassingly 'bbc production' that you'd really hope they'd have broken out of by now.

All the same, The Subtle Knife was one of my favourite books growing up so I am in this for the long haul.

Hopefully there won't be the treading water in this series in the attempt to overlap the Will storylines. Or to put it more plainly, I hope it's directed and edited better.

Tags: