Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:23:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The cat came back

Started by biggytitbo, July 20, 2019, 07:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

This one has haunted me since first seeing it in the 90s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJl_4IsQJ2g

Pristine quality - the cartoon isnt as good as I remember, but the song is still a total earworm.

Quite a few more in a very similar animation style, like "the Log Driver's Waltz" and loads of other great stuff on the National Film Board of Canada website, my favourite being Norman McLaren's cartoons.

At what point did the BBC stop throwing in weird bits of international animation into their schedules? I can still remember feeling very confused by a Czech? thing that ended on a couple stripping off, merging together and metamorphosing into a black patch on the side of a white cow, and another where the Chinese character for Horse started galloping around.

biggytitbo

The disappearing of short animation from mainstream telly schedules is a real regret isn't it. Before about the mid 90s they could always find 5 minutes between programs to show a Tom and Jerry, a Warner Bros or something more obscure like this.

Thursday

Ferris

Mrs Ferris has got massively into playing this stuff to Ferris Jr and now my quiet moments are plagued by these ditties.

Main offenders are The Cat Came Back and The Logdriver's Waltz, but these fuckers are stuck in my head basically forever.

olliebean

Racist.

Quote from: WikipediaThe original sheet music described the song as "A Comic Negro Absurdity" on the back page and provided an additional eight verses as well as a final chorus. A 1900 London edition of the sheet music described it as "A n**ger Absurdity" on the cover sheet.

the

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 20, 2019, 08:15:34 PMThe disappearing of short animation from mainstream telly schedules is a real regret isn't it. Before about the mid 90s they could always find 5 minutes between programs to show a Tom and Jerry, a Warner Bros or something more obscure like this.

On BBC2 the more left-field animations like TCCB were usually to be found under the banner of Animation Now, which came in with Def II*, but persisted as a titled slot for animation for quite a while after Def II faded away.

* Edit: actually talking shit - Animation Now existed before Def II, ran throughout Spring 1985, then the name was resurrected for Def II in 1988.

Twed

Bob and Margaret studio or just the Canadian style?

Dr Rock

I had this on video and used to rewatch it. There was another one with the scrabble, does anyone remember the one with the scrabble?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 21, 2019, 08:42:01 PM
I had this on video and used to rewatch it. There was another one with the scrabble, does anyone remember the one with the scrabble?

The Big Snit.

https://youtu.be/p1S5pAF1YYA

Dr Rock

Twed

petril

Quote from: Twed on July 21, 2019, 09:50:34 PM
"To Be" is the NFB animation that sticks with me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXKUcsvhQc

that song at the end has stuck with me since childhood. plus y'know, the actual death scenes.

non capisco

These are all excellent.