Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most Ridiculous Hype Said About A Comedian?

Started by MortSahlFan, July 21, 2019, 01:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Stand-up comedians, but if you can't think of any, "humorist" will do.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Urinal Cake

Hannah Gadsby and Nanette. Not only her fans and 'right-thinking' opinion pieces but also her detractors who were like, 'Now comedians will never use a set-up and punchline again.' You got the feeling it might change comedy forever.

But in the end popular stand-up comedy is maybe a little more empathetic and maybe she has introduced more people to stand-up but it seems like it stayed mostly the same.

magval

I fondly recall Jonathan Ross saying to Gervais that The Office changed comedy and/or sitcoms forever and Ricky calmly correcting him, "no it hasn't". Not a big fan of Gervais and well aware of how highly he regards himself but I love to see people rejecting easy rhetorical bullshit like that.

Shaky

Probably one of them Commie, leftie ones, eh?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: magval on July 21, 2019, 07:54:14 AM
I fondly recall Jonathan Ross saying to Gervais that The Office changed comedy and/or sitcoms forever and Ricky calmly correcting him, "no it hasn't". Not a big fan of Gervais and well aware of how highly he regards himself but I love to see people rejecting easy rhetorical bullshit like that.

He actually said 'for weather', noting the grey skies of Slough on the title sequence.

jsgibble

Quote from: magval on July 21, 2019, 07:54:14 AM

It's overstated how original it was, but if you're only talking about the influence it had, then he's not wrong.

chveik

Jake Thingray

From The Stage newspaper, issue dated November 15th 1979:

<<<Jim Davidson is "destined to become one of the greatest comedians in showbusiness." That's a cast iron claim made for the future by another of Britain's all time 'greats' in the humour stakes -- Norman Wisdom -- and what he doesn't know... about comedy isn't worth knowing. Norman made his prediction after seeing Jim perform in front of a very partisan audience at a Vaudeville Golfing Society dinner where the 'Nick Nick' man not only provided a knock-out cabaret, but had the hard-bitten troupers from the entertainment industry laughing into their champagne cocktails.

Says Norman "I'd never seen Jim Davidson before and quite honestly, I was astounded by his talent. For a relative newcomer to showbusiness, to have an audience like that paralysed with laughter, is something special. But then. I believe that Jim is something very special and destined to become one of Britain's funniest stand-up comics. He's got tremendous potential and everything is going for him. Jim possesses charm, warmth and superb comedy timing. What's more, he presents a very original act with great style. They say that comedians, like good wine, mature with age, so Jim must be set for a spectacular career. After all he's only twenty-five now and just think what he'll be like in ten years time." >>>>