Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel Phase 4, 2020-whenever

Started by samadriel, July 21, 2019, 10:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

https://www.gamesradar.com/au/marvel-sdcc-2019-mcu-movies-phase-4-announcement/

Wish I could find video of the presentation, but no joy; there's one on YT but the audio's fucked.

Oo, Blade.  Fantastic Four gets a mention, but not a place in the short-term schedule.  I still don't know how they'll make Eternals watchable, but we'll find out soon enough.  No idea yet whether 'What If' will be well-animated, or shit.  It's so hard to find naturalistic character models animated well (I've never liked the aesthetic of Archer), all the good animation is cartoony stuff like, I dunno, Rick and Morty?

A 'scary movie' Dr Strange could be a bit of fun.

Not really excited by the TV prospects, although I'm open to the Falcon/Winter Soldier show being good.  What say you, CaB?

We might finally get that long-rumoured Bananaman trilogy.

samadriel

druss

Quote from: samadriel on July 21, 2019, 10:25:06 AM

Wish I could find video of the presentation, but no joy; there's one on YT but the audio's fucked.

https://www.youtube.com/user/filmsthatrock/videos

Seems to have the individual bits in separate videos, best I could find so far.

Edit:

Here's a playlist actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcyNNMq4lA&list=PLNwMXh0zjg8En9FWvXlcCM3I6MHkk2uCZ

Old Nehamkin

samadriel

About three a year, nothing out of the ordinary for Marvel.  A lot of the stuff promoted at Comicon was for TV, which I might find a bit burdensome once it happens, but I think they're meant to be, like, one-off miniseries, which is a more manageable prospect than those vast Netflix series.

Well, they felt vast to me.  I don't have the constitution for extended binge-watching.

purlieu

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 21, 2019, 12:03:31 PM
Seems like too many films tbh.
??
Two films next year, which will be the fewest since 2016.

A title like Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and a hint that X-Men are indeed coming. I'm going to quote this again.

Quote from: purlieu on July 17, 2019, 11:18:12 AM
I think it's just an Easter egg, as the MCU is set on Earth-199999 (and its universe). I think I've read an interview which says that the MCU and all the previous Spiderman films, etc. are all part of the wider Marvel multiverse.
I also think this is how they're going to introduce the X-Men. After such a long-running franchise it's going to be difficult to reboot that, and I'm not sure anyone would buy all that happening at the same time as the rest of the MCU. So I think they'll be discovered through some dimensional rift, maybe in a post-credits sequence after Doctor Strange 2.

Looks like we'll be getting the final Thor film, if the brief bits of info are correct. Which is fine, I'm glad he's getting another outing, especially with a fittingly over the top title like Love and Thunder. Blade I've never taken to, so I'll be interested to see how well it'll come together this time. Fantastic Four... well, it was bound to happen.

I'm glad that there are quite a few things that look like they'll be pretty weird, I find Marvel is pretty good at doing those. The fact that the cast of Wandavision don't quite understand what's going on is intriguing.

biggytitbo

Can't they just stop now, they had a good run, made a few bob, isnt it time to call it a day?

samadriel

greenman

Quote from: samadriel on July 21, 2019, 11:29:33 AM
Appleman or GTFO

Just cast Mickey Rouke again and hope everyone forgotten Ironman 2.

mothman

So it looks like any possible Thor/Guardians/Asgardians of the Galaxy thing can't happen now Thor 4 will come out before Grauniads 3. Oh well. But they've somehow persuaded Natalie Portman to return - though I don't kniw what else she's up to nowadays, maybe her contract to have that Sia Chandelier-themed perfume ad run every five minutes at Christmas has run out and she needs the money...

Mister Six

Quote from: purlieu on July 21, 2019, 03:26:17 PM
Looks like we'll be getting the final Thor film, if the brief bits of info are correct.

What makes you think it'll be the final one?

Don't mind female Thor but I'd rather it was Kat Dennings that picked up the hammer than Natalie Portman. Jane was such a nothing character. Then again, Waititi basically overhauled Thor for Ragnarok - hopefully he'll do the same again for Jane in this.

Ali is about the best possible casting for Blade, I think. Snipes still looks great but he's been... unreliable for a while, hasn't he? And I imagine they'll want this to be PG-13 at most... let's see how that goes.

Can't be arsed with any of the Disney+ shows at the minute. If they turn out to be really good I'll probably give them a spin, but I have zero interest in a Loki show. And shouldn't that be Captain America and Winter Soldier, not Falcon?

Definitely up for Fantastic Four done properly at last, not least because it opens the door for DOOM! I wonder how they'll tackle the family? The comic stuff seems like the most obvious tack, but Guardians, Strange and Thor seem like they've got that sewn up. Will Galactus be the new Thanos? They've got a possible Skrull invasion and the merging of the X-Men to get through first, of course, and either one of those sounds like it would be enough to sustain a couple of phases.

Quote from: mothman on July 21, 2019, 06:44:14 PM
So it looks like any possible Thor/Guardians/Asgardians of the Galaxy thing can't happen now Thor 4 will come out before Grauniads 3. Oh well. But they've somehow persuaded Natalie Portman to return - though I don't kniw what else she's up to nowadays, maybe her contract to have that Sia Chandelier-themed perfume ad run every five minutes at Christmas has run out and she needs the money...

She's been knocking out a couple of films a year at least for ages, mostly indie and alternative fare. I doubt she's struggling for cash, so I'm hopeful that she's back because they've actually given her something to get her teeth into this time.

mothman

That woulkd be my ultimate assumption - given how publicly she disavowed further involvement after The Dark World, about how she'd been misled about the film and who was directing it, I think their arguments to get her back would have really had to move her to a bigger house.

kidsick5000

Who'd a thunk Thor would be the character to get a fourth film. What Taika W did with Ragnarok really injected adrenaline into the entirety of the Marvel world.
I don't think the Dark World version of Thor would have caused two stand out, applause worthy moments in Infinity War and Endgame.

It all falls into place. I was surprised to see Natalie Portman at the Endgame premiere red carpet, especially for someone whose role was covered by old footage.

Mister Six

Portman came back to film her Endgame scenes.

Dr Rock

No, that was old footage.

Endgame has just surpassed Avatar and is now the biggest grossing film of all time.

Looking forward to the new Elephant Man movie, makes up for his omission from the avengers franchise.

purlieu

Quote from: mothman on July 21, 2019, 06:44:14 PM
So it looks like any possible Thor/Guardians/Asgardians of the Galaxy thing can't happen now Thor 4 will come out before Grauniads 3.
My hope is the credits sequence of Love and Thunder will see him coming back to Asgard with the Guardians. And maybe he'll even go off with them at the end of it. There's too much potential there to ignore it.

Quote from: Mister Six on July 21, 2019, 06:53:57 PM
What makes you think it'll be the final one?
I just get the feeling that Jane taking up the Thor role will give them an opportunity to retire the character. It's just a hunch, but given that they've definitely or effectively retired the rest of the Phase 1 Avengers, it seems likely that this will be Thor's exit.

QuoteDon't mind female Thor but I'd rather it was Kat Dennings that picked up the hammer than Natalie Portman.
I hope we at least get some Darcy in it. A relentlessly entertaining character.

QuoteAnd shouldn't that be Captain America and Winter Soldier, not Falcon?
The general theory is the series will be about Falcon becoming used to taking on the role of Captain America, so he may well not adopt the name until the climax of the final episode - so the title makes more sense as that's how we know Sam now.

I find the upcoming TV series interaction with the films interesting. While Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. briefly tied into the earlier films, it was always a case of them cleaning up after the Thor & Captain America films - the only time the series actually led into the films was seeking Loki's sceptre, and even then it wasn't really acknowledged in Age of Ultron. That Wandavision is going to be tied to the new Doctor Strange and the Hawkeye and Captain America titles are going to be taken by different characters is going to potentially make for confusing moments in the films. They're going to have to be handled well without annoying people who don't want to watch every episode of every show.

QuoteThey've got a possible Skrull invasion
Although the mid-credits sequence in Far from Home seems to have largely been to set up Fury in Space, I agree that there's going to be something involving them on the way. I'd also be interested in seeing more Kree in the films; they've been a huge part of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but surprisingly in the background in the movies. I suspected the seemingly throw-away line about Kree incursion in Far from Home would be introducing them more, before the later reveal. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Skrull-Kree war coming to Earth was the climax to Phase 5.

BlodwynPig

Let's get back to making adult films for adult adults

kidsick5000

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 21, 2019, 08:35:45 PM
Let's get back to making adult films for adult adults

Nope. There are plenty of filmmakers doing that.
It might be under Disney, but the continuing quality of the Marvel films is bloody good.
Films that can be enjoyed by all the family, that aren't cartoons.
23 of them in just over 10 years. And having them all become a linked series. That's a great feat.
Yep. More of that please.
You just have to look at many other franchises to see the level of "will that do" that's out there

bgmnts

Out of 23, i'd say about 4 are genuinely good.

druss

Quote from: bgmnts on July 21, 2019, 09:53:45 PM
Out of 23, i'd say about 4 are genuinely good.
My angle would be that there's 4 that are genuinely bad, if that. Even the shit ones usually have some redeeming quality (Sam Rockwell being the only shining light in Iron Man 2 for example).

chveik

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 21, 2019, 09:33:20 PM

where the fuck are they?

bgmnts

Quote from: druss on July 21, 2019, 10:14:29 PM
My angle would be that there's 4 that are genuinely bad, if that. Even the shit ones usually have some redeeming quality (Sam Rockwell being the only shining light in Iron Man 2 for example).

Well Sam Rockwell is ace.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 21, 2019, 09:33:20 PM
It might be under Disney, but the continuing quality of the Marvel films is bloody good.
Films that can be enjoyed by all the family, that aren't cartoons.
23 of them in just over 10 years. And having them all become a linked series. That's a great feat.
Yep. More of that please.
You just have to look at many other franchises to see the level of "will that do" that's out there

Im just pissed that as a child i only had Lou Ferrigno to sate my superhero appetite and the next incarnation was that abysmal Ang Lee twerp