Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel Phase 4, 2020-whenever

Started by samadriel, July 21, 2019, 10:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 21, 2019, 02:28:47 PM
Into The Spider-Verse was done without any Marvel Studios assistance, so I don't presume that the quality would suddenly drop back to where it used to be.

This article explained the whole thing to me, as I was struggling to understand before (yes, it's the Guardian, but don't worry, I don't think they're blaming the Disney-Sony spat on Corbyn. Yet). I note however that the same executive was behind the five-pic deal bringing Spidey into the MCU and Into The Spiderverse - and she's now moved on...

purlieu

She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight are all getting TV series on Disney+, apparently.

Mister Six

People have been going on about Moon Knight for ages. I'm not familiar with him. What's his deal/appeal?

Quote from: greenman on August 22, 2019, 05:43:45 PM
Although it feels like this version of the character depends on the idea of being a small fish in a big pond.

To an extent, but I think it would benefit the character to pull back a bit and let him be his own man. The "working class villain vs working class hero" Vulture stuff in the first film felt far more satisfying to me than the half-baked "cleaning up Tony Stark's mess" plot of the second (even though there was a bit of that in Homecoming), and having a street-level hero with high-school problems is a refreshing change in the increasingly cosmic and epic MCU (Ant-Man felt much the same for me, but Spidey is a more compelling hero, I think).

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mister Six on August 24, 2019, 12:54:40 PMPeople have been going on about Moon Knight for ages. I'm not familiar with him. What's his deal/appeal?

Murderous, mentally-ill, multiple-personality Batman.

I think people kept bringing him up as a potential Netflix candidate as he would've fit in well with the existing shows.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on August 24, 2019, 12:54:40 PM
People have been going on about Moon Knight for ages. I'm not familiar with him. What's his deal/appeal?

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 24, 2019, 02:47:59 PM
Murderous, mentally-ill, multiple-personality Batman.

I think people kept bringing him up as a potential Netflix candidate as he would've fit in well with the existing shows.

This basically, I've read a few of his series and there was one run by Warren Ellis that only lasted for six issues which was pretty great, so in the right hands he's an interesting character.

When it comes to the She-Hulk tv series I just hope they use the version of the character who was fun and daft, not the current grim dark version who's sadly all kinds of rubbish.

And as for the Ms Marvel tv series, bizarrely it's being run by someone who I was on the open mic circuit with and who's close friends with a good friend of mine, I only found out last weekend that she'd moved to the US a couple of years ago and has done incredibly well for herself since then, writing for Mindy Kaling's Four Weddings And A Funeral series recently.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 24, 2019, 03:07:37 PM
When it comes to the She-Hulk tv series I just hope they use the version of the character who was fun and daft, not the current grim dark version who's sadly all kinds of rubbish.

Was it Dan Slott's She-Hulk that was like a wacky sci-fi courtroom comedy-drama but got waylaid by grimdark crossover shit because She-Hulk went mad and murdered someone in another comic?

Because that, minus the grimdark shit, would be great.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on August 24, 2019, 03:21:11 PM
Was it Dan Slott's She-Hulk that was like a wacky sci-fi courtroom comedy-drama but got waylaid by grimdark crossover shit because She-Hulk went mad and murdered someone in another comic?

Because that, minus the grimdark shit, would be great.

It was Dan Slott's She-Hulk that was like that (though some parts of John Byrne's run were as well), though I've not actually finished reading Slott's run so aren't sure how it ends. I know she's been miserable ever since the events of Civil War II though and that was only in 2016.

Mister Six

Fucking superhero comics.

No: fucking superhero comics editors.

purlieu

I mean there's a hint of grimdark in the Netflix series, but overall I think the unexpected success of Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok has probably pushed Marvel in the direction of fun / absurd stuff rather than overly serious. Runaways is decent as a teen drama, but I couldn't get through more than half a series of Cloak & Dagger without being bored senseless, so I'm definitely hoping these new Disney series capture more of a similar vibe to the films, as I feel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is, so far, the only film that really has a similar feel to them.

Mister Six

Ah, I'm not objecting to grimdark stuff in general - I had no problems with the Netflix shows in theory (even if Luke Cage, Daredevil and Defenders were all shit in practise) and thought the dark stuff worked great in DD, JJ and Punisher. It's more about its application in so many comics - adolescent edginess for its own sake - and the need to derail even light, goofy characters and comics with that shit come the next tedious company-mandated crossover event.

If Slott had wanted to go down that route then it would have been fair enough - instead, reading them as I did as a discrete collection well after the crossover was over, it was obviously crowbarred in due to editorial fiat.

purlieu

Jessica Jones is the only one of the Netflix series I truly enjoyed, although the first series of Daredevil was pretty good. On the whole the more gratuitous violence side of it all doesn't particularly appeal to me, though. And I really can't deal with mopey superheroes. Pathos is good, shocking moments are good, but they're things I think need to happen in very small doses for them to really work in this context.

Having not read said comics, I can't comment much other than what you're saying does sound tedious. One thing about the films is, because they are comparatively few and far between for each character, they can't spend too much time being self-indulgent with the characters' darker sides, because they've only got two hours to endanger the world, save it, and make a thousand Joss Whedon-style jokes along the way. The fact that most of these new Disney+ series seem to be tied much closer to the films than most of the previous series does mean there's more scope to potentially do 'aftermath of being film events' type stories which aren't necessarily what I'd want to watch (the low point of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for me was the immediate aftermath of Winter Soldier - watching the characters just be sad / angry about Hydra week after week got dull), but I'm hoping this isn't the case.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: purlieu on August 22, 2019, 02:20:22 PM
???
My poorly formulated thought was that all the interest, discussion, etc., seems to be on what's coming next, not discussion about which past movies were good or not. Although perhaps that's what happens with everything, or I'm just wrong. Probably the latter.

With the DC shows, I just didn't have the time to watch them and maintain a job, a relationship, stuff like that. There's too much...stuff...now. Good old days, one movie every couple of years, etc.

purlieu

The last Spiderman thread, once the initial release was over, turned into a pretty good discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of the MCU to date. There's definitely a bit of a 'what next' pricktease with the marketing, but there's definitely substance to the films and the discussion surrounding them.

Mister Six

Famous Mortimer can probably ignore most DC shows, but if you can, make time for Doom Patrol - it's self-contained, unique and wonderful.

Quote from: purlieu on August 25, 2019, 10:30:18 PM
Jessica Jones is the only one of the Netflix series I truly enjoyed, although the first series of Daredevil was pretty good. On the whole the more gratuitous violence side of it all doesn't particularly appeal to me, though. And I really can't deal with mopey superheroes. Pathos is good, shocking moments are good, but they're things I think need to happen in very small doses for them to really work in this context.

For me, it's very much about appropriate tone. People having heads smooshed in a dark, gritty crime drama doesn't bother me, whereas having a Superman movie with lots of nasty death and destruction like Man of Steel did puts me right off.

phantom_power

For DC shows I really enjoy Gotham. It is wilfully dumb but more happens in an average episode than whole seasons of Netflix Marvel shows, and the gleeful way they fuck about with famous characters is great fun

Mister Six

Couldn't get into Gotham because it wasn't an adaptation of Gotham Central. Unfair, I know, but fuck 'em.

phantom_power

It did start off pretty badly as well. Lots of boring characters and nothing storylines. Then at some point they decided to fuck it and went full on batshit crazy

Mister Six

Ha, well maybe I'll check it out someday. The to-watch list is too long though.

Head Gardener

mothman

Head Gardener

mothman

purlieu

That's bloody brilliant. Almost makes me want to take up DIY.

When is Black Widow out? Because Scarlett Johansson just cancelled herself another 25 per cent by voicing support for Woody Allen amid the MeToo accusations. Regardless of what you believe, this will no doubt dent Marvel's attempt to market Black Widow as some kind of feminist flick.

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/04/scarlett-johansson-defends-woody-allen

Kelvin

purlieu

It's about a week since Sony said there was absolutely no chance of it happening.

Does anyone believe anything these people say any more?

purlieu

Not only have Marvel got Spider-Man back, but the next film seems to have been bumped up the schedule.
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/spider-man/67742/tom-holland-reportedly-saved-disney-sony-spider-man-deal
QuoteSomewhat buried in the report is the news that the threequel has already been given a release date - July 16, 2021.