Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel Phase 4, 2020-whenever

Started by samadriel, July 21, 2019, 10:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

One of the only times I've wholeheartedly agreed with Hasan Minaj is when he compared Marvel (or was is Disney) to McDonalds. At the time you feel good maybe even great but afterwards there's nothing.

Lord Mandrake

This Eternals thing is ballsy, could be another Guardians, could be a giant sack of Aids. Looking at the cast, I say the latter.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 21, 2019, 08:10:35 PM
No, that was old footage.

I stand corrected - she just recorded some audio for the film.

Quote from: purlieu on July 21, 2019, 08:23:27 PM
I just get the feeling that Jane taking up the Thor role will give them an opportunity to retire the character. It's just a hunch, but given that they've definitely or effectively retired the rest of the Phase 1 Avengers, it seems likely that this will be Thor's exit.

I'd be surprised. Chris Hemsworth seems to be quite happy to carry on - unlike Evans, Downey et al he's quite happy to appear in big blockbuster franchises as the goofy buy sexy hero, and he seems to enjoy his role as Thor. I'd expect at least another three films, Love and Thunder included.

QuoteI find the upcoming TV series interaction with the films interesting. While Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. briefly tied into the earlier films, it was always a case of them cleaning up after the Thor & Captain America films - the only time the series actually led into the films was seeking Loki's sceptre, and even then it wasn't really acknowledged in Age of Ultron. That Wandavision is going to be tied to the new Doctor Strange and the Hawkeye and Captain America titles are going to be taken by different characters is going to potentially make for confusing moments in the films. They're going to have to be handled well without annoying people who don't want to watch every episode of every show.

I think if they have any sense the shows will basically be entirely disposable, or cover stuff that could easily be summed up swiftly come the new Avengers movie. Stuff like Banner and Black Widow having a relationship between Avengers 1 and Age of Ultron. People have accepted that they'll have to watch some extra films to get the most out of the new MCU movies, but expecting them to fork out for the streaming service to get major plot points is a step too far.

I would expect any connection between Wandavision and Dr Strange 2 to be tenuous at best. Maybe the villain from DS2 is also the villain in Wandavision or something. But I'll be surprised if any major movie-centric plot developments will occur within the shows.

QuoteAlthough the mid-credits sequence in Far from Home seems to have largely been to set up Fury in Space, I agree that there's going to be something involving them on the way. I'd also be interested in seeing more Kree in the films; they've been a huge part of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but surprisingly in the background in the movies. I suspected the seemingly throw-away line about Kree incursion in Far from Home would be introducing them more, before the later reveal. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Skrull-Kree war coming to Earth was the climax to Phase 5.

Bollocks, I meant Skrulls. And thinking on it, Hydra serves pretty much the same role, as an organisation whose agents could be anywhere and anyone. But yeah, we'll see.

What's the status of Hydra, anyway? Did they pretty much disappear after Winter Soldier? I know they're probably still around, because that's their thing, but I don't recall seeing them in a major role since, except in the past New York sequence in Endgame.

Mister Six

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 22, 2019, 12:26:59 AM
This Eternals thing is ballsy, could be another Guardians, could be a giant sack of Aids. Looking at the cast, I say the latter.

Marvel has really got its shit together since Age of Ultron, so I'll be surprised if it's genuinely awful. Although it looks like neither the director nor (worryingly) the writers have done much else of note, at least as far as full-length fiction movies go.

samadriel

Quote from: Mister Six on July 22, 2019, 04:10:31 AM
What's the status of Hydra, anyway? Did they pretty much disappear after Winter Soldier? I know they're probably still around, because that's their thing, but I don't recall seeing them in a major role since, except in the past New York sequence in Endgame.

In the first Ant-Man, the bad guy was going to sell the shrinking tech to some representatives from Hydra; that's all I can think of.

SavageHedgehog

Hey, I'm actually looking forward to one of these! (Blade) Sounds like it won't be out until 2025 or something, but Scrooge needed time to change too.

lipsink

Will the Hawkeye film address all the criminals he slaughtered for 5 years during the Blip?

samadriel

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sdcc-2019-hawkeye-tv-series-with-kate-bishop-ronin/1100-6468591/

"Additionally, Marvel Studios president Kevin Fiege said the show will also explore Clint Barton's time as Ronin more too."

Might have some flashbacks?  I'm not a Jeremy Renner fan, but it could make for some sweet fight scenes.

lipsink

Jeremy Renner is great but Hawkeye is a bit of a bland character. Perhaps he just seems a bit useless with his bows and arrows and his hoodie compared to big 4 of the Avengers. Though, Black Widow still manages to come off as badass.

I'd completely forgotten Blade was Marvel. Does that mean there will be actual vampires in the MCU? Perhaps, they'll change them to being an alien species. I mean,  I know they already have Gods and that, so it's not that big a stretch.

Mister Six

Wonder what the budget is for these live-action shows? They must cost a fortune, given the casts and the need to keep at least relatively close to the visual quality and spectacle of the films. Though it's not like Disney doesn't have that money to hand...

Quote from: samadriel on July 22, 2019, 05:45:42 AM
In the first Ant-Man, the bad guy was going to sell the shrinking tech to some representatives from Hydra; that's all I can think of.

Ah, cheers. I thought Ant-Man came out before Winter Soldier for some reason.

Quote from: lipsink on July 22, 2019, 09:51:56 AM
I'd completely forgotten Blade was Marvel. Does that mean there will be actual vampires in the MCU? Perhaps, they'll change them to being an alien species. I mean,  I know they already have Gods and that, so it's not that big a stretch.

I hope not. Marvel really needs to embrace the supernatural now (and kind of has, with Doctor Strange). Suicide Squad showed that audiences have no trouble watching films with both sci-fi and supernatural elements side by side (also with watching absolute dogshit, but that's by the by).

samadriel

Jeremy Renner is great but Hawkeye is a bit of a bland character. Perhaps he just seems a bit useless with his bows and arrows and his hoodie compared to big 4 of the Avengers. Though, Black Widow still manages to come off as badass.

I think it's the lack of sleeves, it makes/made him look vulnerable.  He does have a cool tatt sleeve now though, that helps.

The Culture Bunker

I'm in a minority in that I've always liked Hawkeye. Yer man gives him an appealing everyman quality - he was one of the best things about Age of Ultron.

Am wondering how they're going to factor vampires into the MCU, esp given they must have been around for quite a while (at least as long as Blade has been alive, presumably). Presumably Kris Kristofferson is a tad too old to come back as Whistler...

greenman

You could argue End Game made him a rather more interesting character going forward as well, I'd say the same for Thor who's really only come into his own with Ragnarok compared to the other big name Avengers. Marvel are probably wary of having too clean a break as well for fear people might think this was a good point to stop watching.

The Culture Bunker

It'll be interesting to see how Thor works in his own films without Loki as a foil. I suppose he'll have Korg and Miek as sidekicks, of sorts, which has plenty of comic potential.

lipsink

Are we not getting a Thor & GOTG film then? That would be an absolute fucking hoot. Thor and Starlord's interactions some of the funniest moments in the entire MCU franchise.

I love the way the MCU films have done all the world building so they can simply introduce Spidy into that universe and have him interact with Fury/Stark/Happy and he feels definitive rather than simply another reboot/retread.

My friend seems to think Norman Osborne is the next big bad as there was a shady businessman that the Walter Goggins character was working for in Ant Man & The Wasp.

Dr Rock

A problem with the Thor/Guardians movie is James Gunn has already written the script for Guardians 3. Could have been reworked to include Thor maybe. Anyway, Guardians 3 not included in the announcements, which is disappointing, must be more than two years away.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: lipsink on July 22, 2019, 10:51:34 AMMy friend seems to think Norman Osborne is the next big bad as there was a shady businessman that the Walter Goggins character was working for in Ant Man & The Wasp.
I gather some think he's (or Oscorp) bought the Start/Avengers tower in New York. I wasn't that keen on the original Spider-Man films, but Defoe was pretty good as Norman.

Still hoping for a version of the Sinister Six: Vulture, Shocker, Scorpion, Chameleon and two others, hopefully ones we haven't seen before.

greenman

I'v seen it mentioned that the original Spiderman: Far from home credits sequence did actually feature Norman Osborn and the Sinster Six but was dropped, maybe viewed as too big a reveal for that situation? still tends to suggest that's what there planning for the future.

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 22, 2019, 10:57:58 AM
A problem with the Thor/Guardians movie is James Gunn has already written the script for Guardians 3. Could have been reworked to include Thor maybe. Anyway, Guardians 3 not included in the announcements, which is disappointing, must be more than two years away.

Wasn't it mentioned as being 2023 awhile ago? you could argue with that wait that everyone involved might be keen to be featured in another film beforehand even if it was in more of a supporting role. By Marvels standards these days that's not an especially crowded film.

Lord Mandrake

Not seen the new spider-man but even if Mysterio is lying about his origins I'm sure the multiverse will come into play, it's the smoothest way to introduce Mutants and Dracleas and stuff.

SteveDave

Jeremy Renner is great

Incorrect. He's second only to Marky Mark as screen cancer.

purlieu

Quote from: Mister Six on July 22, 2019, 04:10:31 AM
Finally wiped out in season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Hydra basically drive the plot of it for quite a while.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 22, 2019, 11:18:20 AM
Not seen the new spider-man but even if Mysterio is lying about his origins I'm sure the multiverse will come into play, it's the smoothest way to introduce Mutants and Dracleas and stuff.
Oh yes, it'll undoubtedly play a bigger part - I can't imagine Endgame and the new Doctor Strange are all we'll see of it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 22, 2019, 11:18:20 AM
I'm sure the multiverse will come into play, it's the smoothest way to introduce Mutants and Dracleas and stuff.
Couldn't the vampires have just been keeping themselves secret? I don't reckon they need to be aliens from another dimension, or suchlike.

Dr Rock

Has Disney done a movie with vampires in it before? I wonder if them mental Christian groups will ever make a fuss (don't think they did over the supernatural elements of Dr Strange).

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 22, 2019, 11:43:57 AM
Couldn't the vampires have just been keeping themselves secret? I don't reckon they need to be aliens from another dimension, or suchlike.

Could work for Dracs I suppose but mutants, eternals, submarinars and whatever else palarver can't all just have been hiding.

lipsink

So when are Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 coming out then? Seems odd that we have to wait a while considering that they were able to knock out Spider-Man 1 and 2 in just 2 years.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 22, 2019, 10:11:33 AM
Am wondering how they're going to factor vampires into the MCU, esp given they must have been around for quite a while (at least as long as Blade has been alive, presumably).

I don't see how it's that hard. Presumably they've been keeping themselves to themselves, killing vulnerable people who won't be missed. It's not like any of our superhero characters would have had much reason to encounter them, is it?

Quote from: lipsink on July 22, 2019, 10:51:34 AM
My friend seems to think Norman Osborne is the next big bad as there was a shady businessman that the Walter Goggins character was working for in Ant Man & The Wasp.

I think Tom Holland has said it will probably be Kraven the Hunter, which would work with the mid-credits bit of Far From Home.

I read somewhere that they hope to make nine Spider-Man films: three with him at high school, three at university and three as a grown adult. Which sounds amazing, of course, if they can pull it off. I assume Norman will turn up in the college films, initially as a neutral or good guy that Peter interns for, and turn evil later on.

I do like that they're keeping Spidey's villains alive (or "alive") to they can build up to a proper Secret Six rather than just going "Look, here, a bunch of baddies from basically nowhere" as they did with the shit Andrew Garfield sequel.

Quote from: purlieu on July 22, 2019, 11:35:21 AM
Finally wiped out in season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Hydra basically drive the plot of it for quite a while.

Hmm, I'm not sure to what extent the movie MCU gives a turd about the TV MCU, though. It'll probably depend on which shows will be available on Disney+ (so expect a rebooted DareDevil somewhere down the line... hopefully they'll keep Berenthal if they do a Punisher film, though.... that's perfect casting).

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 22, 2019, 11:46:45 AM
Has Disney done a movie with vampires in it before? I wonder if them mental Christian groups will ever make a fuss (don't think they did over the supernatural elements of Dr Strange).

I think Disney have lost Them Mental Christian Groups ever since they started introducing The Gays into their films. The "don't be a cunt to gay people" subtext in Frozen got them riled and having on-screen gaylord action in Beauty and the Beast pushed them over the edge. Hoping Disney will double down and have some onscreen strap-on lesbonic sex scenes in Frozen 2 to really drive the point home. So to speak.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 22, 2019, 11:54:43 AM
Could work for Dracs I suppose but mutants, eternals, submarinars and whatever else palarver can't all just have been hiding.

Mutants could just have started appearing in the early 20th century in dribs and drabs (assuming you want to keep Magneto's Holocaust survivor backstory, although he'll be bloody ancient now so best come up with a reason for that too), and start appearing in greater and more prominent numbers now (they are the next evolution of humanity after all).

Eternals - don't they all live in space or something? Anyway, a big part of their backstory in the comic is that they've been keeping it on the downlow for centuries.

Atlanteans are underwater. Just say they gave Jacques Cousteau a handjob to keep quiet. Aquaman got away with this, kind of.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on July 22, 2019, 12:31:39 PM
I don't see how it's that hard. Presumably they've been keeping themselves to themselves, killing vulnerable people who won't be missed. It's not like any of our superhero characters would have had much reason to encounter them, is it?
I guess not, though you'd think SHIELD would have heard something about Blade, as he's usually not the most subtle of chaps. Not like they'd be too sceptical about the existence of vampires either, after dealing with the likes of Ghost Rider.

purlieu

Quote from: Mister Six on July 22, 2019, 12:31:39 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure to what extent the movie MCU gives a turd about the TV MCU, though.
I think Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is sort of canon with the films, and as a significant amount of the series explores the fall-out of Winter Soldier, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the official story. The rest of the TV shows, I agree, are pretty much dispensable in the MCU.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: purlieu on July 22, 2019, 03:41:46 PM
The rest of the TV shows, I agree, are pretty much dispensable in the MCU.
Would be quite funny in the Blade film if someone says "didn't you used to run that club in Harlem?"

Mister Six

Tony Leung's going to play the proper Mandarin in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. He's a cracking actor and very charismatic so that could go well. I wonder if Ben Kingsley will make another appearance? I hope so. Loved him in Iron Man 3.

Also really like that title - real pulpy adventure vibe, like Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Hope they stick with that convention. Also crossing my fingers that they'll look to Hong Kong for cues on how to direct kung fu, with great choreography and shots where you can see what's happening, instead of the default Hollywood shakeycam close-up bullshit.