Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel Phase 4, 2020-whenever

Started by samadriel, July 21, 2019, 10:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelourSpirit

Yeah absolutely love that Dr Strange title. Hope they don't change it to 'Dr Strange: The Multiverse' or something closer to release. Shang Chi has me a lot more interested than I thought it would, basically just for Tony Leung.
Blade was the one I wanted most to happen even though the MCU could never reach the heights of the 1998 one. Mahershala Ali is a great choice. Nice to see them starting to do heroes that maybe don't have to become Avengers. Maybe he'll have his own corner where Moon Knight and chums can have their own mini teamup event.

Glebe

The Thor: Love and Thunder logo looks a bit Saturday morning cartoon.

Wow, Tony Leung in the MCU? Has he ever even been in an American production before?

Most of these movies look great. Interesting properties, interesting directors, interesting casts. I don't see any reason to be cynical about it other than the fact that the MCU is very popular. (Disney is an evil profit-making machine, true... just like every single movie studio that puts out 99% of the movies you have ever seen and enjoyed.)

Mister Six

I'm pretty sure this will be Leung's first film outside of Asia. I bumped into him in a restaurant in Beijing once. Or, rather, he bumped into me. Spilled my beer, the absolute twat.

Quote from: Mister Six on July 23, 2019, 03:28:26 AM
I'm pretty sure this will be Leung's first film outside of Asia. I bumped into him in a restaurant in Beijing once. Or, rather, he bumped into me. Spilled my beer, the absolute twat.

Did time freeze and did you narrate a voiceover and did California Dreamin' start playing?

Mister Six

lipsink

Marvel confirms Valkyrie (played by Tessa Thompson) will be the first openly LGBTQ superhero in the MCU:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/thor-star-tessa-thompson-will-play-marvels-first-lgbtq-superhero-1225891

Kinda amazing that there hasn't been one before now.

The Culture Bunker

It was sort of implied in Ragnaork, right? That the reason she was a complete drunk was sadness/guilt over the death of her other half in the battle against Hela.

This, and the "Thor will be a woman" stuff is all certain to wind up certain sorts, which is great too.

Cuellar

They should make a film about a mega franchise that floods cinemas, greatly diminishing the level of choice available to the viewing public.

Dr Rock

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 23, 2019, 01:17:10 PM
Two or three movies a year?

The trouble with the whole "two or three movies a year" thing is that those two or (usually now) three movies tend to clear out everything else around them for a week or two afterwards - you almost never have another big movie up against a Marvel movie, and often there's nothing much released the week after either.

So you're now looking at six to eight weeks a year where Marvel movies dominate, and those six to eight weeks are usually during the prime blockbuster season. Throw in whatever big kids movies Disney is also releasing (which usually get the same two week window) and maybe a Star Wars movie on top and suddenly half or more of the main movie-going season each year is owned by Disney, which doesn't leave much room for any other kind of movie to gain an audience.

bgmnts

Stop whinging monopolies are ace and great for everyone.

Bad Ambassador

Here's what my local cinema is showing on Saturday: Horrible Histories: The Movie - Rotten Romans, The Current War, The Lion King, Midsommar, Spider-Man: Far from Home, Apollo 11, Yesterday and Toy Story 4.

So actually quite a selection.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 23, 2019, 02:03:22 PM
Here's what my local cinema is showing on Saturday: Horrible Histories: The Movie - Rotten Romans, The Current War, The Lion King, Midsommar, Spider-Man: Far from Home, Apollo 11, Yesterday and Toy Story 4.

So actually quite a selection.

True, but three of those eight movies (and three of the four biggest mainstream movies alongside Yesterday) are Disney or Disney co-productions.

Shit Good Nose

This will be my only contribution to this thread, as I appreciate it's aimed more to the MCU fans - I hope that there are several massive box office disasters in a row forcing them to cancel everything else and then people can get back to making films again.

Also, I heard mention of the X-Men being involved in all this multiverse bollocks.  I've been saying on here there'd be a crossover (admittedly with Star Wars as well) for the last couple of years, but you all laughed, called me a cunt and said it wouldn't happen.  Well, who's laughing now?

Ironically not me, but all you MCU fans.

Bah.

momatt

Quote from: TwinPeaks on July 22, 2019, 10:38:13 PM
Mahershala Ali is a great choice.

Maybe, but it annoys me (far more than it should) when actors play more than one character in a comic universe.
Should be illegal.

He's already Cornell 'Cottonmouth' Stokes (Luke Cage).
Unless I'm being thick and it's the same character?

Dr Rock

If superhero fatigue actually does happen some time soon, what sort of blockbusters would you non-fans want to see made instead? Because there's only so many types of movies that Marvel (or DC) are making 'not happen', and it's not Wes Anderson ones. And it would also probably be a sequel, reboot or remake, as that's what Hollywood likes to do. Maybe a big-screen adaptation of Happy Days?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: momatt on July 23, 2019, 02:28:04 PM
Maybe, but it annoys me (far more than it should) when actors play more than one character in a comic universe.
Should be illegal.

He's already Cornell 'Cottonmouth' Stokes (Luke Cage).
Unless I'm being thick and it's the same character?
Did make me think that Kurt Russell would have made a good Whistler, had he not already been Ego.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 23, 2019, 02:23:32 PM
Also, I heard mention of the X-Men being involved in all this multiverse bollocks.  I've been saying on here there'd be a crossover (admittedly with Star Wars as well) for the last couple of years, but you all laughed, called me a cunt and said it wouldn't happen.  Well, who's laughing now?
And all it took was for Disney to buy a whole other studio.

SteveDave

The villain in the Black Widow film is apparently...

colacentral

This will be my only contribution to this thread, as I appreciate it's aimed more to the MCU fans - I hope that there are several massive box office disasters in a row forcing them to cancel everything else and then people can get back to making films again.

Ironically not me, but all you MCU fans.

Bah.

You specifically said that Fox's X-Men, the Hugh Jackman cast, would pop up in the MCU, which was laughable. That isn't happening. And when you were saying that, the characters still belonged to Fox. Disney now owns Fox so owns all of those characters again.

X-Men wasn't announced anyway - it's some point in the distant future. There was nothing about them coming from another dimension either.

So your idea was and still is ridiculous; now, in fact, proven to be by the termination of the Fox films.

colacentral

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 23, 2019, 02:32:57 PM
If superhero fatigue actually does happen some time soon, what sort of blockbusters would you non-fans want to see made instead? Because there's only so many types of movies that Marvel (or DC) are making 'not happen', and it's not Wes Anderson ones. And it would also probably be a sequel, reboot or remake, as that's what Hollywood likes to do. Maybe a big-screen adaptation of Happy Days?

Yeah, exactly.

The success of the MCU and, specifically, Kevin Feige's increased level of control and clout, is moving them into weirder territory. It wouldn't be possible to do Infinity War or Thor: Ragnarok without a catalogue of cosmic films to back it up. The Doctor Strange sequel sounds really exciting and it again would never be made, or made that interesting, if we were still in the era of each superhero getting their individual self-contained series. The Fantastic Four will hugely benefit from this too, as they need a universe of tonal variety to get the most out of them.

As a comic book fan, I don't know how anyone can complain. I grew up wondering why this wasn't being done, as it was so cool to see Spider-Man crossover with the FF and the Punisher, etc. And because comics were so much weirder than people generally thought, with all the mad Jack Kirby Silver Surfer stuff etc. That weirdness and all the cosmic stuff is now only possible because the MCU dished out ten or so "safe", fairly standard superhero films to begin with. It's obvious that Kevin Feige wants to keep pushing it all in a weirder, more comic booky direction, and I'm grateful to get to see that. We might actually get a good Howard the Duck film at some point.

Cuellar

They're fascistic power fantasies.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Cuellar on July 23, 2019, 04:10:16 PM
They're fascistic power fantasies.

And yet you moan about spoilers.

chveik

druss

In a row? Can't see any of the new ones announced being "Disasters" at the box office. You might say Eternals looks a bit iffy but the same was said about Guardians of the Galaxy. Shang Chi is going to do ridiculous numbers in China. I've never really been arsed about Black Widow but she's one of the OG Avengers and there will have been quite a long wait for a Marvel film by the time hers is out so I suspect it will also do well.

Could be waiting a looooooong time for an actual box office disaster.

Mister Six

Not sure Shang Chi will do that well in China (I mean, it'll do well but compared to other Marvel films). The country is hardly lacking for martial arts films starring Asians, and there was an early pushback against it because in the comics Shang Chi is Fu Manchu's son (Fu Manchu being a bit of a racist caricature and all that). They've ditched Fu and brought in Tony Leung, so that will help, but I don't think it's as guaranteed a success as you do.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 23, 2019, 02:34:08 PM
Did make me think that Kurt Russell would have made a good Whistler, had he not already been Ego.

Or Jeff Bridges, but they used him in Iron Man 1. Marvel is blitzing through grizzled old white guys.

Goldentony

where in Phase 4 of this shitfest does ROM, Dazzler, Tomb Of Dracula or THE DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU fit in