Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy NFL 2019

Started by DrGreggles, July 21, 2019, 11:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I left it a bit late last year before setting it up, but I just wanted to see if there was much/any interest in doing it again for the forthcoming season.

maett

yes this is the Browns year and i'll be relying on them again in my quest for fantasy respect

DrGreggles

Quote from: maett on July 21, 2019, 09:57:48 PM
yes this is the Browns year

Their drafting and trading over the last 18 months has been really impressive.
Doubt they can go all the way, but I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs - possibly as AFC North champs.

Of course, it's the Browns, so they could fuck everything up spectacularly.

Dex Sawash

I will do another masterclass in american football.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 21, 2019, 11:21:12 PM
Their drafting and trading over the last 18 months has been really impressive.
Doubt they can go all the way, but I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs - possibly as AFC North champs.

Of course, it's the Browns, so they could fuck everything up spectacularly.

A lot of the good work was done by Sashi Brown. John Dorsey just reaped the benefit.
Dorsey is a good talent evaluator,  he is too willing to take risks on players with dubious character though.

Anyway when is the next Fantasy season starting up?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Camp Tramp on July 22, 2019, 12:47:43 PM
Anyway when is the next Fantasy season starting up?

I'll probably do the draft a week before the season starts.
It was a fairly quick process last year.

DrGreggles

Just re-activated last year's league, so last year's players may have received an email.

Anyone wanting to join the 'fun', let me know.

DrGreggles

1st September for the draft?

Also anyone else who wants to join is welcome.

maett

spent about 20 minutes trying to find the page to set up my auto draft picks. No luck and no Luck it seems.

DrGreggles

Quote from: maett on August 25, 2019, 03:09:58 PM
spent about 20 minutes trying to find the page to set up my auto draft picks.

I think that's because the draft hasn't been scheduled yet.
I'll set it for next weekend, if that suits everyone.

PowerButchi

I'd like to be *in*. Although Im working nights next weekend.

DrGreggles

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 25, 2019, 04:50:17 PM
I'd like to be *in*. Although Im working nights next weekend.

If you're not available to draft you can auto-draft (which will select the next highest-rated pick each round).

I'm going to set the draft for 4pm next Sunday (1st September).
Might alter the scoring a bit too, as you can change the settings to reflect more than just mostly TDs.

maett

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 25, 2019, 03:24:20 PM
I think that's because the draft hasn't been scheduled yet.
I'll set it for next weekend, if that suits everyone.
Ah yeah that's done it. Cheers.

DrGreggles

Just a reminder for anyone who wants to join to message me.

PowerButchi

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 25, 2019, 05:03:10 PM
If you're not available to draft you can auto-draft (which will select the next highest-rated pick each round).

Might alter the scoring a bit too, as you can change the settings to reflect more than just mostly TDs.

Autodraft is shit and tends to draft two kickers and two Ds like a dick. But luckily I'm not in work until 6pm spo I'll be able to draft my usual 9000 RBs before letting auto  draft take over for the last few picks.

DrGreggles

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 25, 2019, 06:13:47 PM
Autodraft is shit and tends to draft two kickers and two Ds like a dick.

It does the whole roster of 18, so it'll fill up every team with (I think) 3 x QB, 9 x FLEX (RB/WR), 2 x TE, 2 x K and 2 x D/ST. All undrafted players can be traded afterwards as free agents.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 25, 2019, 06:13:47 PM
Autodraft is shit and tends to draft two kickers and two Ds like a dick. But luckily I'm not in work until 6pm spo I'll be able to draft my usual 9000 RBs before letting auto  draft take over for the last few picks.

Pay attention to whatever evil scoring twists the commissioner has embedded in the league before you draft. Did a league where rushing TDs were dialed back to 3 points to see if you had bothered to read up. Didn't catch me with that trick. I did not draft Marshawn Lynch #1 even though he was suspended 4 games and only 3 points for rushing td.

DrGreggles

I've upped the points so that total yardage, first downs and all other positive plays score more heavily, as well as bonus points for generally doing good things.

You should be able to see them if you look at the league settings page.

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 25, 2019, 05:03:10 PM

I be in. I did feel the league was a bit too quarterback friendly. High points for passing yards and touchdowns and hardly any significant penalty for interceptions. Maybr 0.5 to 0.4 points for yards passing and 4 for.passing touchdown.
Oh and not bitter cos I did pick up Patrick Mahomes early on the waiver wire.

Edit: having seen update see passing yards are more adjusted. Still feel interception and fumbles should be heavily penalised. But much happier with it.

DrGreggles

I wasn't aware you could change such things last time until it's too late.

The standard scoring system was too pro-QB. For example, a RB who ran for 200 yards without a TD could get fewer points than one who ran for 50 yards and scored from a yard, but a QB could connect less than half the time and still end up with 50+ points.

Now ALL good things (scores, 1st downs, completions, big yardage, etc) will gain more points, and ALL bad things (sacks, fumbles, incompletions, missed FG/PaT, being shit, etc) will lose more.
There will be some BIG scores, but it will hopefully better reflect what happens on the field.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on August 26, 2019, 12:18:57 AM
Edit: having seen update see passing yards are more adjusted. Still feel interception and fumbles should be heavily penalised. But much happier with it.

The idea is that, for example, a 30 yard TD pass will now score as much for the WR as it does for the QB.

The interceptions were only -1 last year, so it's quite an increase.
Also it scores more for the opposition defence now too.

PowerButchi

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 25, 2019, 06:27:41 PM
It does the whole roster of 18, so it'll fill up every team with (I think) 3 x QB, 9 x FLEX (RB/WR), 2 x TE, 2 x K and 2 x D/ST. All undrafted players can be traded afterwards as free agents.

Yeah, and only a dildo would draft 2 D/ST and 2x Ks themselves in a draft. That's pure waiver wire stuff for their bye weeks. The programming or whatever it is of the autro draft is pure Paul Gadd. I normally play the NFL.com fantasy though as IT'S BEST. In 6 leagues this season already. Two of them have a bit of coin on them. Shall we throw a few quid on this one?

maett

The way I played last season I wouldn't be prepared to wager anything more than my reputation as a certain win for any opponent.
I think if you click auto draft strategy you can select what position you choose in each round.

DrGreggles

The draft order will be randomised. Auto-draft won't make a difference to that.

Camp Tramp

I think auto draft decides what position you go for every round.

RBs have a lot more value in Fantasy than they do IRL.

maett

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 26, 2019, 10:49:17 AM
The draft order will be randomised. Auto-draft won't make a difference to that.
Oh, I mean what position the player you draft plays not your position in each draft round.
If you poke around in draft strategy next to draft rankings there is an 'autopick strategy' and you can select the position you wish to draft. e.g Round 1 running back, Round 2 Wide receiver, Round 3 Best available....etc.  So PowerButchi should be able to avoid drafting 4 kickers

DrGreggles

Just a heads up that the draft is at 4pm.

EOLAN

Yep all set. McCoy from Bills to Chiefs may have some later round impact.