Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy NFL 2019

Started by DrGreggles, July 21, 2019, 11:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Last games tomorrow.
Make sure you check to see if any of your players are being tested for the playoffs.

DrGreggles

Dolphins win in New England to knock the Pats down to the #3 seed (and into the WC game)!

maett

Congratulations on earning the fantasy crown.
Is this it? Is this the end of the Pats dynasty?
I've a feeling the Titans are going to go there and give Brady something to think about in an unusually long off-season for him.

DrGreggles

Brady is available for free agency at the end of the season. Be interesting to see what happens.
If it was based purely on this season's figures, he'd be nowhere near a starting QB role anywhere.
Could be the right time to free up some salary space to get some new offensive players in as, if it wasn't for the D/ST, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Watch them win it again now...

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 30, 2019, 05:05:55 PM
Brady is available for free agency at the end of the season. Be interesting to see what happens.
If it was based purely on this season's figures, he'd be nowhere near a starting QB role anywhere.
Could be the right time to free up some salary space to get some new offensive players in as, if it wasn't for the D/ST, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Watch them win it again now...

He is about an average or very slightly above average starting Quarterback this year statistically; which is obviously way down from his peak and expectation; and about half of those starting QBs below him would be considered not to be worthy of starting in any case. Performances are probably even lower on the eye test; especially in the Dolphins game. I think there were moments in the Ravens and Chiefs defeats when he got into a flow and was performing well, with the crucial turnover against Ravens that ended the game as a contest not really on Brady.
Does seem to be similar signs of the deterioration in Manning's 2nd SuperBowl and final year though; while a slightly younger Brees is still one of the top QBs this year. Brady's offensive weapons have been weak. In a League with very weak Tight-Ends outside of the top 10 or so (and 2 are probably in Philly) Patriots probably had one of weakest set of Tight-Ends; which is a major climbdown from an even quarter-fit Gronk; both in the passing and the blocking game.  Once Edelman gets double teamed (and he's probably playing very hurt lately) it is a tough situation that has me longing for the like of Chris Hogan but then again there are a significant number of occasions when Brady's passes when players have a chance have been significantly off-target as well.

Of all possible wild-card matchups, Titans would be the ones I fear the most. Think Patriots could struggle to stop Henry having an impact on the game and that might open up opportunities for Tannehill. Expect Gilmour to match up with AJ Brown; who is having a breakout rookie year at wide-receiver. Whether Gilmour can bounce back and react from being outplayed by Parker or whether Tannehill and Brown can find lessons from Fitzmagic and co... could be a deciding factor on the game.

Anyway the dynasty is probably over though should still be play-off competing for a few more years. Having so many years consecutively with a bye shows what a charmed life Patriots fans have had maybe even more so than the SuperBowls. 

Anyway; probably a bit of karma for me personally as it was a meaningless victory in the 90s on Week 17 for a losing-record Patriots against a Dolphins side seeing a play-off spot but ended up missing out that made me a Pats fans. I was probably one of those begging for my hero Bledsoe to take his rightful place back from that young upstart Brady a few years later.

Also; special mention to Jameis Winston on an outstanding season. A great way for him to reach the 30:30 club (touchdowns and interceptions) with an overtime pick-six. Also; wins the award as the highest amount of passing yards for a quarterback this season. Whatever about Brady; hopefully Winston will remain a starter for next season. Would be a lot less fun without him.

DrGreggles

Yes, I meant that Brady wouldn't get a top starting QB role anywhere due to him not having the stats to justify his massive salary.
The issue with the Pats is that their original long-term replacement for Brady is now a 49er. (and doing pretty well).
I'd be very surprised if Belichick doesn't have a plan though.

As for Winston, he's the most entertaining QB in the league.
If you ignore the interceptions, his numbers have been fantastic (in a pretty poor team). Unfortunately you can't ignore the interceptions...

DrGreggles

Playoffs off to a reliably nuts start.
Crazy 4th quarter in Houston.

DrGreggles

Pats GORN!
Complete with the fun bonus of Brady throwing a pick 6 to settle it.

Old Thrashbarg

Not necessarily the highest quality games, but both wonderfully entertaining. Hopefully tonight's are just as fun, but with the bit higher standard of play that the teams involved should deliver.

DrGreggles

My predictions are 0 for 3 so far.
It's not really worth the Seahawks turning up...

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 05, 2020, 04:25:48 AM
Pats GORN!
Complete with the fun bonus of Brady throwing a pick 6 to settle it.

Pick 6 kept them in the game. Titans should have just sat down at the 1. The thing I couldn't figure out was why he would throw  for a completion in that part of the field. The Edelman drop was a real killer.
PS: wouldn't mind Brady moving on from next season and rebuild. Although there are plenty of other areas to strengthen on the offensive side of the ball. Should be dropping down in any case to being in play-off contention than Conferences leaders/favorites for a couple of years.

Elsewhere Brees; who has been excellent this season; looked awful yesterday. Great call by Aikman on any play with Brees on the sideline being a bad play as Hill threw a great 47 yard completion.

maett

Well that was an upset. Went and watched a couple of games in Denver in October. One of which was the Broncos against the Titans. The game was awful and the Titans even worse than that. They got beat by a poor Denver team 16-0 benched Mariota in the 3rd quarter and still looked shite. Now they're one game away from the superbowl and on a great run.
Loved that Henry pass on short and goal.

DrGreggles

Did not see that coming (especially considering my red hot prediction skills), but it was thoroughly deserved.
With them taking down the Pats and Ravens they have rapidly become Steelers' fans' 2nd team!

Dex Sawash

I expect Clemson to beat LSU Monday in the development league NFL championship and would say bet under at 69.5

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 12, 2020, 12:41:16 PM
Did not see that coming (especially considering my red hot prediction skills), but it was thoroughly deserved.
With them taking down the Pats and Ravens they have rapidly become Steelers' fans' 2nd team!

Not to mention snatching the play-off place from the Steelers.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on January 12, 2020, 01:22:22 PM
Not to mention snatching the play-off place from the Steelers.

It was hardly snatched in the end as they essentially finished 2 clear, accounting for the PD in the event of a tie.
The Steelers achievement this season (if there was one) is avoiding a losing record with no offence!
They would have stunk up the playoffs.

DrGreggles

OilersTexans 14-0 ahead after 5 minutes in Kansas City!

Very early days, but these playoffs have been all over the place so far.
#FormBookGoesOutTheWindow

Dex Sawash

Old Thrashbarg

Could easily have 60 points in the first half here.

DrGreggles

This is the most amazing half of playoff NFL I've ever seen.

billyandthecloneasaurus

joaquin closet

DrGreggles

Chiefs and 49ers to win.
Packers haven't been as good as their record suggests, and the Titans SURELY can't win against all 3 top seeds on the road.

See you in 2 weeks for the Packers v Titans in the Superbowl...

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 19, 2020, 07:48:28 PM
Chiefs and 49ers to win.
Packers haven't been as good as their record suggests, and the Titans SURELY can't win against all 3 top seeds on the road.

See you in 2 weeks for the Packers v Titans in the Superbowl...

Should have backed yourself more. Both games pretty much going to script. 49ers dominating from the off while Chiefs just had too much firepower after Titans came out of the traps quick. Stuck in the game a bit better than the Texans at least. Was a bit disappointed the Packers offence managed to make the final outcome look a little more respectable. Enjoy a good smackdown of teams in championship games if it's not going to be a barnstorming thriller. Seahawks would have probably dogged it out more had they made it to the Championship game.

DrGreggles

Pretty disappointing Championship weekend to be honest, but that tends to be the case when the favourites win.

It sets up a (theoretically) decent Defence v Offence battle in the Superbowl though.
If the 49ers Defence can get to/near Mahomes, I think they'll do it. Especially with their OL creating massive holes for their running game. They could have given Jimmy G the night off yesterday and still won.
I'd probably prefer KC to win though - for Andy Reid more than anything.

mikeyg27

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 20, 2020, 10:52:01 AM
It sets up a (theoretically) decent Defence v Offence battle in the Superbowl though.

I feel that every time we have one of these Great Offense vs Great Defense Super Bowls the defensive team always stuffs the offensive team. But I don't think the 49er's plan of Run Run Run will work so well on the Chiefs.

Mahomes, though. Quite good, isn't he? Some of the plays he's made in the last couple of weeks have been completely nuts.

DrGreggles

This guy is uploading all the NFL films for previous Superbowls to his YouTube channel.

DrGreggles

Mr Eggs

maett

Can't get the BBC coverage, so getting the american ads. There's a show called Lego Masters I never knew existed.
Cracking game this.