Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:48:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy NFL 2019

Started by DrGreggles, July 21, 2019, 11:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maett

16 penalties, when they sort that out they can find another way to fuck up. The tackle Hubbard made at least 3 of those for holding.

My mistake it was 18 penalties for 182 yards

DrGreggles

Early days, and there's no doubt they have improved the roster, but the predictions of 10+ wins and divisional champs always seemed optimistic to me.
The Titans looked good though, so it might not end up being as disastrous a result for the Browns as it seems right now.

EOLAN

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 08, 2019, 02:55:24 PM
I auto drafted Brown in another league. Will need to reconsider my standing rule of never own a Patriot due being a home for cunts.

Is that not the case for all NFL Teams.

On the Fantasy League; had a Bye week to try to figure out the scoring but probably finish with 2nd highest score out of 7. Need to figure out what is happening with defences. The atrocious Jacksonville Jaguars has been one of my top scorers while the annihiliated Cleveland Browns defence is Brown Stains top scorers; seemingly scoring higher than the dominant Ravens in their match-up (know there is some special teams involved too). Browns conceding over 27 points also cost me on a defence Survivor League are the top scorer the leading team. Dolphins D/ST also better than Green Bay this week :D

Elsewhere in a 16 team guillotine I should be top four, currently lying second despite my top points scorer Mariota being on the bench; with Winston and Roethlisberger played ahead of him. 

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on September 09, 2019, 01:04:19 PM
On the Fantasy League; had a Bye week to try to figure out the scoring but probably finish with 2nd highest score out of 7. Need to figure out what is happening with defences. The atrocious Jacksonville Jaguars has been one of my top scorers while the annihiliated Cleveland Browns defence is Brown Stains top scorers; seemingly scoring higher than the dominant Ravens in their match-up (know there is some special teams involved too). Browns conceding over 27 points also cost me on a defence Survivor League are the top scorer the leading team. Dolphins D/ST also better than Green Bay this week :D

D/ST is both Defence and Special Teams, and the score reflects that.
The Browns had a couple of big ST plays which scored well and a lot of sacks, whereas the Ravens D/ST points were pretty much all down to the D.

DrGreggles

Texans v Saints - fantastic game.
AMAZING last 2 minutes.

dr beat

I happen to be in New Orleans and just watched it live.  Couldn't afford the $480 ticket price to go to the Superdome, so watched it in hotel room instead.  But yes an incredible game.

Camp Tramp

Bill O'Brien always chokes.

I haven't seen the points yet but I suspect the Denver defence let me down

DrGreggles

Quote from: dr beat on September 10, 2019, 03:44:57 AM
Couldn't afford the $480 ticket price to go to the Superdome

You are shitting me!?
I got a ticket for $50 a few years ago.

EOLAN

Quote from: Camp Tramp on September 10, 2019, 07:50:26 AM
I haven't seen the points yet but I suspect the Denver defence let me down

Yep. Lost to Shaw by 58 points with your Denver Defence/Special Teams being 65 points worse than your opponents' LA Rams.

Looks like Defence/Special Teams could have some of the biggest variance and could be the key selection for most weeks in this Fantasy. I usually moan when other fantasy Leagues suggest Defence should be ignored for fantasy so happy to have a league where this may very much not be the case. On Week 1 showing; there is not too high a correlation between actual Defensive scoring performance and Fantasy points. Special Teams accounts for some of that but not completely.   

Ideally; probably want a defence/ST that is playing an efficient  run offence. Defence staying out on the field for a long portiong of the game. Regularly conceding first-downs on third down but building up their tackle count and maybe getting a couple of sacks or turnovers in too. Those build up of tackles and plays should nullify loss of fantasy points for scores conceded and yards given up; which in this case wouldn't be at the fastest pace.  Punt returners that won't take fair-catches (or whose opponents punting team aren't good enough to pin them) can be valuable too.

Camp Tramp

I chose Denver because I thought they were undervalued and I'd be able to pick them late. Chubb and Von Miller are a dangerous team.
Josh Jacobs must be really good?

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on September 10, 2019, 11:12:45 AM
Looks like Defence/Special Teams could have some of the biggest variance and could be the key selection for most weeks in this Fantasy.

It's a shame you can't separate D and ST, but it doesn't seem to be an option in the settings.

You can see the full score breakdowns for D and ST on the site. Decent on both seems a better option that really good at one or the other!

Camp Tramp

I forgot to put any research into Special Teams.

EOLAN

Quote from: Camp Tramp on September 10, 2019, 03:07:12 PM
I forgot to put any research into Special Teams.

Don't worry. Everyone has. I should probably be keeping quiet and doing all these great strategies but in truth I probably won't end up any better. Looking on the waiver wire each week and see what D/ST has the highest projected score is as good a strategy as any, but feel free to try some fun intuition.

DrGreggles

Difficult to project an ST score accurately. So much of it can't be predicted, but occasionally a top punt returner or kick blocker will score well on a regular basis.

maett

Divisional champs and if they avoid the Chiefs/Patriots they'll be in the AFC division championship, after that the regionals.
Hoping in the play offs they finally get revenge on the Broncos for 'the drive'  fiasco.

DrGreggles

I think the Ravens will win the division.
Chance of a wild card at best for the Browns.

dr beat

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 10, 2019, 08:37:08 AM
You are shitting me!?
I got a ticket for $50 a few years ago.

No shit I'm afraid, although to be fair I only checked a couple of days beforehand.  Got the impression that this opening game meant a lot to the Saints fans after all that business in all the play-offs last season, so could have been a particularly hot ticket.

DrGreggles

I think that must be for the posh seats.
I was in with the rest of the scum.

maett

4 TDs by half time for Mahomes, 7 in a game is the record, He's throwing them for fun against the Raiders.

DrGreggles

Lost my QB (Brees) on the second possession through injury, missing out on probably 120+ points.
My backup QB (Big Ben) also went off injured in the 1st quarter.

Just let me know if you want me to put Tom Brady on the roster...

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 16, 2019, 02:41:32 AM
Lost my QB (Brees) on the second possession through injury, missing out on probably 120+ points.

I am keeping hold of good old Tom for now.

Game seemed to be a defensively heavy game even before Brees went off. So may not have racked up such a score but on the flip-side he would have the where-with-all to play a momentum change. Bridgewater never really seemed to get into the game at all. Rudolph on the other hand seemed to improve the fluidity of the Steelers attack. Had Big Ben on another fantasy League myself but shouldn't have hurt me too much.

maett

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 16, 2019, 02:41:32 AM

Quote from: maett on September 02, 2019, 10:55:38 AM
Happy to have got Mahonnes but then auto pick chose 'best available' and I got Baker Mayfeild, too.  Anyway to do trades in our league? I'll trade a Mahonnes for a top 5 RB. Not that twat Bell though.

I have since changed my mind about trading Mahomes, the man's keeping afloat almost single handedly. Roethlisberger out for the season and Brees out for 6 weeks. It's bad luck to have one but both, jesus.

DrGreggles

I think that's Roethlisberger finished.
The recurring shoulder problems have clearly taken their toll, but another injury to his throwing arm might just be enough for him to call it quits.
This was always going to be a tough season for the Steelers, but I suppose with expectations so low this early in the season, it gives them a chance to give Rudolph a run as QB and work on improving the D for next year.
Looks like they're already focusing on the latter:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001055920/article/dolphins-s-minkah-fitzpatrick-traded-to-steelers

DrGreggles

Now Saquon Barkley is injured.
Before next week's games I'm going to shoot an albatross for luck!

Camp Tramp

Doesn't really matter since I have won, but I really should have put in Russell Wilson instead of Lamar Jackson.

EOLAN

Quote from: Camp Tramp on September 23, 2019, 09:06:51 AM
Doesn't really matter since I have won, but I really should have put in Russell Wilson instead of Lamar Jackson.

All great to say in hind-sight. Seattle's running game collapsing with Carson being dropped out after  a fumble while Jackson got his team into 0a lot of 1st and goal situations close-out made the difference. Against Kansas front defence was just easy (relatively so) to hand off to Ingrams for the touch-downs. In my other League I have Ingrams so I shouldn't be complaining.
Wilson also had the bonus of some junk-time plays including a touchdown pass on a bonus play with zero seconds left. Although junk-time is still a vital part of fantasy of course. Just seen the scorelines though and didn't expect it to be that much of a gap.

Anyway; happy that of the played D/STs my came out on top across 7 teams. Of 6 out of 7 with Chicago still to play. That and Quarterback seem like two big consistent scoring variance.   

maett

The Chicago D/ST turned up this week and I really needed it to.  Had 170 points to make up and it got 195. 

Every kick return yard being worth a point must see someone win a game with a TD/long return. 100 odd points swing would have settled most of the match ups so far.

DrGreggles

The D/ST total is the combined score for 22 players.
Always thought that it was somewhat under-represented in FF scoring.