Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:36:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The all-purpose thread for FILMS OF THE 2010s

Started by sevendaughters, July 22, 2019, 07:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Not individual lists (although...why not?) but publications will be putting together lists from here to the end of the year. So let's keep them all together, eh?

First out of the blocks is INDIEWIRE: https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-movies-of-2010s-decade/all-these-sleepless-nights-4/

Sin Agog

Good to see Fury Road in the Top 10.  It's sometimes hard to work out which films from your era will last the long haul, will be watched long after you're worm food. Especially in such a splintered and amorphous time.  But that one's wordless visual balleticism Shirley means it will stick around.  The fact that it works just as well in black and white as in colour only vouches for that.

bgmnts

I knew number one would be about race or gender.

Mad Max should be number 1 but sadly we are sad creatures.

I think 100 is almost too many for a list, to make it worthwhile. That has Star Wars The Last Jedi padding out the low scorers.

sevendaughters

Moonlight - which I think is a good film and would make my top 20 - is a good consensus pick. This is, at least while we're living it, the decade where race and gender and sexuality made a great leap forward in the critical thought. Maybe we'll look back and there'll be some current major film that all of a sudden seems to be about recession and Trump and shit liberal ineffectualness and that will be revived.

I've seen 40 off the Indiewire list. I really love 12 of them, don't like 6 of them, and feel like there's 10-12 that I didn't really know and want to see.

Sebastian Cobb

Lucky and I, Daniel Blake are better than a lot of films on that list.

I'm surprised to see Inside Llewyn Davis do so well; I enjoyed it, I know some people didn't, and even though I enjoyed it, it was just alright.

bgmnts

Oh I didn't read the whole list but I saw a distinct lack of marvel cinematic universe films. Bit odd.

Funcrusher

My laptop struggled to scroll through the Indiewire thing, hope it appears as a text list. Predictably I'm not wild about it. Moonlight, Under The Skin and Fury Road are all way overrated in my book. Zero Dark Thirty was bloody awful. I'm a hardcore sceptic regarding PT Anderson, but I get that's not a popular opinion.

Blumf

The Nice Guys (2016) didn't get on the list? Solid bit of crime comedy that.

mothman

I've seen 12 films in that list. On the one hand it's a damning indictment of any remaining claim I have to be any sort of film buff. On the other, I always score very poorly on any sort of "X things you must" list - and I'm fine with that. Who wants to live their cultural life by the dictates of others, whether individuals or committees?

VelourSpirit

really enjoyed lady bird but fucking hell is it overrated

Mister Six

Spiderverse is a masterpiece. Putting that below The Last Jedi - or indeed, The Last Jedi appearing at all - fucks me right off. Putting it below Inside Out, a film that was more clever-clever than actually clever too?! Grah!

Don't have time to look through that whole list, but in the 100-80 range there's a lot there I'd not heard of, or not got around to seeing but forgotten existed (like Beasts of the Southern Wild), so this'll be a grand guide for the next year's viewing. Thanks for that!

EDIT: A Star is Born?! FUCK OFFFFFF!

Funcrusher

There's a list version on Reddit. I have seen 45 on that list, or 46 if the two Oppenheimer films count as separate films. Fair play for including Faces, Places, No Home Movie and Jackie (much maligned on here). Kiarostami was clearly one of the greats of the past few decades and Certified Copy was the most substantial film he made in the decade but I didn't really get on with it and top 3 seems a bit high. Personal Shopper? Really?

joaquin closet

Big up Paddington 2, The Social Network and Phantom Thread. Boo to The Lost City of Z, Black Panther and Jackie.

OJ: Made in America also a really great choice, and one I wouldn't have though of myself.

Funcrusher

I could end up making about 50 posts on this as each time I look at this list something else pops out. Looked at all together, I think the top 10 is kind of rubbish, and the better films are further down. I remain as hardcore sceptical on The Act of Killing and its huge cult as ever, although I'm somewhat placated by their pairing it with The Look of Silence, which is by far the better film and includes the context that's missing from The Act of Killing. But I still think TAOK is a morally iffy exploitive freakshow for edgy hipsters - no 4 is too high. Inside Llewyn Davis just seemed really slight to me and Carol just felt like a thin sketch having read the novel before seeing it.

Dogtooth, Amour, Roma, A Separation and probably This Is Not A Film are films that belong in any serious list.

Funcrusher

Quote from: joaquin closet on July 22, 2019, 10:54:21 PM
Big up Paddington 2, The Social Network and Phantom Thread. Boo to The Lost City of Z, Black Panther and Jackie.

The Jackie hatred on here just doesn't let up. If I ever get around to seeing Black Panther I reckon I'll enjoy it.

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2019, 08:37:29 PM
I knew number one would be about race or gender.

Moonlight isn't really "about race" just because it has an all-black cast.

sevendaughters

Some thoughts.

- I'd be willing to guess if you polled people here, then Moonlight would probably go top 5. I presume Indiewire have a bunch of writers that they balloted so it wins by the classic race to the middle. This won't be the only poll it wins.
- That said I do think Moonlight is great.
- I might even run the CAB top however many of the decade later in the year.
- I'll not talk about films not on the list in case they appear on others to come, or just to save them for my own end of decade list. However, I really loved 12 of these, namely: The Arbor, At Berkeley, Turin Horse, No Home Movie, This is Not a Film, Tangerine, Princess Kaguya, The Wind Rises, OJ: Made in America, Act of Killing / Look of Silence, Moonlight.
- I really didn't like 5 of them. Inside Llewyn Davies, The Great Gatsby, Force Majeure, Zero Dark Thirty, and Spring Breakers.
- I only saw 40, so the rest were either fine or unseen. From the list there's a few I'd love to see (never heard of Synonyms and Cameraperson).
- Actually I will talk about a couple: Toni Erdmann seems to have withered in my mind. I laughed a lot and enjoyed it at the time, but in my mind it feels like some slow uninteresting traipsing between some obvious set pieces. Should see it again. I did laugh.
- Certified Copy - I love Kiarostami but this isn't in his top 5, let alone the top 3 of the decade.
- I am in the camp that files The Act of Killing as a true achievement and it creates the context that Silence thrives in, knowing that those people think of themselves as untouchable superstars and knowing how fucking bloodthirsty and wrongheaded they are. I don't think simple realist observation in the first film would have produced half as good a film; giving them a moment to perform let you into their world. To me it's one of those modern documentary masterstrokes like Theroux with Jimmy Savile, Broomfield with Terre'Blanche's mates, and the Maysles with various Rolling Stones lackeys.
- some shit writing in there too: "Reinventing the ghost story with radical directness and a singularly modern sense of self" WHAT IS AN RADICAL DIRECTNESS, WHAT IS AN SINGULAR MODERN

zomgmouse

greenman

The inclusion of "the decade that changed everything" does to me seem to highlight the shift in Indiewire over the last 2-3 years, I mean it was politically aware previously but it seems like its pandering to a more media friendly woke view recently. From what I'v seen still a lot of good stuff on the list but also a lot of rather strange inclusions such as The Last Jedi and Black Panther, not in terms of blockbusters as a whole not belonging on the list but those two especially?

Not sure how highly I'd rank Jackie but I found it worthwhile, certainly didn't end up as the dull nostalgia I thought it might be.

Certified Copy seems quite similar to me, well made, interesting idea, good performance from lead actress but didnt grab me enough to warrant being that high although I spose such lists(presumably voted for by their staff) generally tend to feature films that are liked by everyone rather than loved by a few more highly.

sevendaughters

Have to assume that - though I am not a fan - that MCU films split the vote.

lipsink

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 23, 2019, 02:57:38 AM
Moonlight isn't really "about race" just because it has an all-black cast.

Well, it's about homophobia and ideas of masculinity specifically in working class black society. The lead character ends up becoming a drug dealer which unfortunately appears the only career option for lots of young African American men in poorer areas. He also transforms himself in order to survive in that world. If it was an all white cast I think it would be a very different film.

Mister Six

^ Aye, that.

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 23, 2019, 08:15:06 AM
- I really didn't like 5 of them. Inside Llewyn Davies, The Great Gatsby, Force Majeure, Zero Dark Thirty, and Spring Breakers.

Fucking Spring Breakers is on there?! Spring Breakers is on there but Blindspotting isn't. Fuck right the fuck off, Indiewire, and take Harmony cocking Korine with you.

Cuellar

I'm not a big film head but I thought Moonlight was really good.

5 bags

Bad Ambassador

Mission: Impossible - Fallout's on there but Four Lions, Drive, Cloud Atlas, It Follows, Christine, Dunkirk, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Mandy, Skyfall, Upstream Colour, Foxcatcher, Whiplash, Nightcrawler, The LEGO Movie, The Lobster, Steve Jobs, Son of Saul, Shin Godzilla, The Founder, Logan, The Death of Stalin, mother!, Colossal, They Shall Not Grow Old and The Other Side of the Wind aren't? What a bunch of balls.

greenman

Probably missing a good deal(especially recenely, takes me eyars to catch up to even a lot of hyped stuff) out but a vague attempt at an unordered top 30...

Martha Marcy May Marlene
Inherent Vice
The Lobster
Fury Road
Under The Skin
Infinity War/End Game
Two Days, One Night
Whiplash
Blue is the Warmest Colour
You Were Never Really There
Ida
Calvary
Shame
13 Assassins
The Master
Embrace of the Serpent
True Grit
Rogue One
Leviathian(the depressing Russian one)
Carol
Berberian Sound Studio
Black Swan
Logan
The Guard
Drive
The Hateful Eight
Her
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1
Hard to be a God
The Duke of Burgundy
Skyfall

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on July 23, 2019, 12:31:41 PM
Fucking Spring Breakers is on there?! Spring Breakers is on there but Blindspotting isn't. Fuck right the fuck off, Indiewire, and take Harmony cocking Korine with you.

Agreed - he's one of the WORST things to happen to cinema in the last 20 years.

That being said, I think that's quite an interesting and varied list overall - lots of small left-field choices (including one or two I've never even heard of), and surprisingly high placings for others.

But as with any list, you'll never get everyone in full agreement, so just take it for what it is - one opinion.

chveik

films that should have been in this list imo:

Your Name., Hard to be A God, The Assassin, Stray Dogs, Habemus Papam, Nobody's Daughter Haewon, On Body and Soul, Embrace of the Serpent, Creepy, Horse Money, The Death of Stalin, The Last Time I Saw Macao, Cemetery of Splendour, Cloud Atlas, Take Shelter, Like Someone in Love, Asako I & II, Long Day's Journey into Night, Love & Friendship, Réalité, Le tableau, Calvary.

sevendaughters

Here's the ones I think should have been on

The Artist, Hard to Be a God, American Animals, Victoria, Catfish, Finding Frances (the last episode of Nathan for You), Chico and Rita, The Red Turtle, The Trial of Tim Heidecker, Blade Runner 2049, 12 Years A Slave, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Loveless, The Kid With A Bike, P'tit Quinquin, Surviving Life, Cane Toads: The Conquest, Hors Satan.

Planning to watch before the end of the year
Die Andere Heimat, Capernaum, Norte, Won't You Be My Neighbour?, Synonyms, Cameraperson, Le jeune Ahmed

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 23, 2019, 02:18:26 PM
Agreed - he's one of the WORST things to happen to cinema in the last 20 years.

That being said, I think that's quite an interesting and varied list overall - lots of small left-field choices (including one or two I've never even heard of), and surprisingly high placings for others.

But as with any list, you'll never get everyone in full agreement, so just take it for what it is - one opinion.

I didn't find it that aweful but it certainly gave the impression of quite liking the culture it was supposedly taking a pop at, giving an arthouse audience an excuse to watch an exploitation film full of tits and guns without feeling guilty.

It feels like a bit of an unholy merger to me, a mix of arthouse stuff there actually interested in, "worthy" more Oscar bait style drama and some pretty ham fisted political grand standing.

Looking back to their half decade list I think you see the kind of shift I was talking about...

https://www.indiewire.com/2015/02/the-50-best-films-of-the-decade-so-far-266754/