Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The all-purpose thread for FILMS OF THE 2010s

Started by sevendaughters, July 22, 2019, 07:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

My own top ten, counting down: Four Lions, Christine, The Other Side of the Wind, Cloud Atlas, Drive, Dunkirk, Gravity, Mad Max: Fury Road, It Follows and Under the Skin.

zomgmouse

Ok so looking at the 2010s films I've given 5 stars to, we have, in no particular order:

The Favourite
The Lobster
Carol
Under the Skin
First Reformed
Climax
It's Such a Beautiful Day
Faces Places
The Endless
Kill List
The Duke of Burgundy
The Forbidden Room
A Gentle Creature

And then 4.5 stars, again in no order:
Arrival
The Shape of Water
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
Roma
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
You Were Never Really Here
Green Room
Good Time
Raw
Shoplifters
Paterson
20th Century Women
Melancholia
The Death of Stalin
The Raid
The House That Jack Built
High Life
A Girl Walks Home at Night
Amour
Vox Lux
Mustang
Son of Saul
Maps to the Stars
45 Years
Madeline's Madeline
Four Lions
Berberian Sound Studio
A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting Existence
Zama
Rubber
A Field in England
The Kid with a Bike
Transit
The Other Side of Hope
Wadjda
Kaili Blues
Antiviral
I Am Not a Witch
Blancanieves
Sweet Country
Cosmos
3 Faces
Sieranevada
4:44 Last Day on Earth
11 Minutes
Rey
Fear Itself
Alipato: The Very Brief Life of an Ember

But the year's not over, who knows what gems will be encountered?

joaquin closet

Quote from: Funcrusher on July 22, 2019, 11:07:02 PM
The Jackie hatred on here just doesn't let up. If I ever get around to seeing Black Panther I reckon I'll enjoy it.

I definitely don't hate Black Panther, and I think it's great how much it connected with an underrepresented audience. 5/10 for me, very standard Marvel fare with notably shit cg fight scenes. I only mentioned it cos I thought most of the rest of the list was pretty spot on. Same with The Lost City of Z - actually could have been really good but Charlie Hunnam is just a terrible actor. Extremely handsome though.

Wasn't aware that Jackie hatred was common here but I do think it's really shit. And I was so excited for it too, what with the great trailer and Mica Levi score. Just found it so empty and boring - up there with Drive at the top of my critically acclaimed films I actively hate list.

joaquin closet

Lots of Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy love here and I very much agree.

phantom_power

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 23, 2019, 04:33:18 PM
My own top ten, counting down: Four Lions, Christine, The Other Side of the Wind, Cloud Atlas, Drive, Dunkirk, Gravity, Mad Max: Fury Road, It Follows and Under the Skin.

Christine came out in the 80s. Duh! And it is a bit cheesy. I mean, a killer car? As if!

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: phantom_power on July 24, 2019, 08:01:11 AM
Christine came out in the 80s. Duh! And it is a bit cheesy. I mean, a killer car? As if!

There is nothing more more timely or more evergreen than a big red car on fire running over Jerk Fonzie.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: joaquin closet on July 23, 2019, 08:49:24 PM
I definitely don't hate Black Panther

I'll happily stick my hand up and say (again) that I hated it - terrible acting, ropey script, mostly dodgy CGI (even compared with dodgy CGI in general), and SO right-on and knowing it feels badly dated already.

Having said that, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 hovers at the very top - and by a BIG margin - of my list of recent abominable major blockbuster films.  It's a bun fight between that and Last Jedi.

sevendaughters

greenman

Plenty I haven't seen but it gives the impression of more of the same as Indiewires for me, some good stuff but mixed in with a few rather backhanded nods to the mainstream,  political grandstanding, obscurism, overplaying recently hyped films and Wes Anderson.

Found Zama to be a bit of a disappointment, not bad but more a navel gazing version of Aguirre that preffers to wallow in IMHO not especially interesting obtuseness rather than really commit to its story.

Bad Ambassador

Team America as the 10th best film of the last 20 years. Hmm.

DukeDeMondo

My Top Ten of the Twenty Tens. No particular order.

Hard To Be A God

Tangerine

Le Quattro Volte

The Turin Horse

The Woman In Black*

Kill List

Under The Skin

Blue Valentine

Toy Story 3

November

Just thrown together off the top of my head, know. Probably a bunch of really obvious stuff I'm forgetting about. Widows. Anomalisa. Rocketman. Hagazussa. Maybe they should be on there? Maybe they would be, if I was thinking about it yesterday or tomorrow instead of today. Who knows? 

* The uncut version, I mean, not the fucked about with version that was released in the UK with the howls all knotted and the shrieks all dulled.

EDIT: Fuck, The Lego Movie. Should be on there, but I dunno what I'd take out to make room for it. Balls.

imitationleather

How did "worst film ever" Zero Dark Thirty make the list? Were only 100 films released this decade or something?

joaquin closet

Gwarn A Serious Man.

TWBB the obvious choice, and for a reason.