Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:33:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - The Nation Decides

Started by Paaaaul, March 18, 2005, 11:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of Nathan Barley?

Great
25 (9.4%)
Good
66 (24.9%)
OK
66 (24.9%)
Poor
59 (22.3%)
Rubbish
49 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 265

Voting closed: March 18, 2005, 11:30:57 PM

Paaaaul

Just a simple poll because I believe that all the slagging in the Nathan Barley episode threads may not be entirely representative of the whole board's opinions on it.

Robot Devil

I put OK, which in a way is more damning of a Chris Morris project than Poor or Rubbish.

Or something, I dunno, I'm tired. Eat my opinion!

Detective John Kimble

I've no idea how Morris went from Brass Eye to one of the worst comedy shows I've ever seen in my life, but he managed it.  

Rubbish.

imitationleather

Completely fucking RUBBISH.

It never did get going, did it?

Purple Tentacle

racingline

Labian Quest

It was absolutely totally and fucking utterly reasonably good.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Come on you guys, stop moaning! Jonatton Yeah? was in it! And the bit with the cat!

mayer

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Come on you guys, stop moaning! Jonatton Yeah? was in it! And the bit with the cat!

Well done, you said it was shit before us... and er, didn't like anyone discussing it's merits (pitifully few though they admittedly were) because they ruined the flow of shrugging.

Congratulations?

Godzilla Bankrolls

GK

I'm just a reader on here, so I've not really submitted my thoughts about it yet, as due to some of the bitter people on here, someone is bound to slash my view apart if I try to promote it.

Some of the posts in those threads are pointless - mainly the 'this was shit!', with no further explanation what so ever - I think the polls can say that, without the use of a post.

I've voted OK for NB, although I do think that some of the people on here are over-exaggerating - spitting their dummies out because in the style of Jonatton Yeah? - "it's not as good as CM's previous work - I really can't take this!" is really quite sad! If you don't like it - don't watch it. I'm pretty sure there's more comedy available which'll make you laugh more than 2 times an episode.

Jonatton Yeah?  is the character I like most.

problemarea

QuoteCome on you guys, stop moaning! Jonatton Yeah? was in it!
Its interesting that the best characters were under-used (Jonatton Yeah?, Toby, Dave Stewart bloke). I think we should have had more of them and less of the Nathan/Dan/claire trio. But then I think Jonatton Yeah? should get his own show.

alan strang

Quote from: "problemarea"But then I think Jonatton Yeah? should get his own show.

I think they should bring Papa Lazarou back.

mayer

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "problemarea"But then I think Jonatton Yeah? should get his own show.

I think they should bring Papa Lazarou back.

Is this where I write LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111ONEONEONETWO?

alan strang

Quote from: "mayer"Is this where I write LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111ONEONEONETWO?

It's more of a visual thing really.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "GK"some of the bitter people on here

Why bitter?

Quote from: "GK"
I've voted OK for NB, although I do think that some of the people on here are over-exaggerating - spitting their dummies out because in the style of Jonatton Yeah? - "it's not as good as CM's previous work - I really can't take this!" is really quite sad!

Or it could be what they genuinely think. Is it not possible for a Morris project to be appalling? More to the point, is it not possible for it to be appalling precisely *because* it's a Morris project (ie, because - unlike the My Heros and My Familys of this world - it should be really good)?

Quote from: "GK"If you don't like it - don't watch it. I'm pretty sure there's more comedy available which'll make you laugh more than 2 times an episode.

The Day Today and Brass Eye?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "mayer"

Well done, you said it was shit before us... and er, didn't like anyone discussing it's merits (pitifully few though they admittedly were) because they ruined the flow of shrugging.

Too right. I'm fed up of people isolating the least worst bits and pretending they're really great. They're not - they're just...the least worst. Or 'rubbish', as Simon Pegg would say.

mayer

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Too right. I'm fed up of people isolating the least worst bits and pretending they're really great. They're not - they're just...the least worst. Or 'rubbish', as Simon Pegg would say.

Well, the way I saw it, people were discussing the show, which does involve discussing the characters, and set-pieces that you enjoyed, as well as the poorer bits and the holistic rotteness (if I may borrow a phrase) of the show.

I think to needlessly take the piss out of proper discussion of the show, whatever your opinion is, stifles debate and is rather tacky.

It's like me saying "oh that ELW10... is he going to mention the Two fucking NInnies again" or "bloody hell, guess what, he's asking us all why people don't do parodies of The Office" every time you post something, instead of engaging with the good stuff you knock out too.

alan strang

Quote from: "mayer"I think to needlessly take the piss out of proper discussion of the show, whatever your opinion is, stifles debate and is rather tacky.

Does this thread constitute a 'proper discussion of the show'? I thought it was mainly being used for pithy one-sentence summaries. The 'proper' discussions are occuring in other threads.

Rats

Yes, I'll pop my head up here as well. "LOL NO" comedy chat clique seem to pounce on everything that gets said more than once and turn it into an in-joke cliche so they can sneer at the proles. A lot of people don't read a lot of the stuff on here, they just pop in to give their opinions. I expect you lot either scare people off or they just think you're annoying. You seem to repeat yourselves far more often than the people who just dip in repeat each other. Honestly, If I read the phrase "viral marketing" one more time I'm going on a fucking rampage. Who gives a shit? Really, do any of you give a shit? It's a conspiracy for the noughties! They're stealing my ideas during the night!

GK

I'll drop the word bitter, as I can't fully explain myself on that one, which makes me look the fool.... or the 'idiot'.

Or it could be what they genuinely think. Is it not possible for a Morris project to be appalling? More to the point, is it not possible for it to be appalling precisely *because* it's a Morris project (ie, because - unlike the My Heros and My Familys of this world - it should be really good)?

Yes of course it's possible for it to be appalling, otherwise I'd merely be sycophantic to Morris, which is something this program is parodying. He's made something which isn't good to the vast majority of people on here - is it the end of the world?

Rats

Yeah, it's like morris's version of "extricate" but he's shaking off the dolts by making something rubbish so they lose interest. Genius, who's winning? I've no idea but I've just put scrabbled egg in my coffee.

mayer

alan, but yours and ELW10's witty comments have been cribbed from ones you made in those "proper" threads too.

alan strang

Quote from: "Rats"Honestly, If I read the phrase "viral marketing" one more time I'm going on a fucking rampage. Who gives a shit?

I give a shit. Funnily enough even Chris Morris managed to allude to the wankiness of virals in Show 6, albeit a little half-heartedly.

QuoteReally, do any of you give a shit? It's a conspiracy for the noughties! They're stealing my ideas during the night!

Do you even know what 'viral marketing' actually means?

Rats

Yes, they're seperate sentences. I was refering to you claiming that people were stealing your or whoevers "ab fab for the nineties" line, which was bloody ridiculous. I don't know if it was you, it was one of you.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Rats"Yes, they're seperate sentences. I was refering to you claiming that people were stealing your or whoevers "ab fab for the nineties" line, which was bloody ridiculous.

I love you Rats, and bless you for stirring up the shit.

alan strang

Quote from: "mayer"alan, but yours and ELW10's witty comments have been cribbed from ones you made in those "proper" threads too.

Is it possible to crib from oneself?

In any case we've posted thousands of words of (hopefully) more thought-provoking sub-dissertations in those - and many other - threads. I'm sure this entitles us to a couple of pithy off-hand comments every now and again.