Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:58:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - The Nation Decides

Started by Paaaaul, March 18, 2005, 11:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of Nathan Barley?

Great
25 (9.4%)
Good
66 (24.9%)
OK
66 (24.9%)
Poor
59 (22.3%)
Rubbish
49 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 265

Voting closed: March 18, 2005, 11:30:57 PM

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Bellscab"
Quoteexactly did Morris base "self-facilitating media node" Nathan Barley on?
....Erm, Brooker created the character of NB, surely? This would suggest to me this article is indeed column-filling lies.
Brooker created the character, but perhaps Morris chose the actor and suggested that he based his mannerisms upon Newman?

It could still well be column-filling lies, but just a thought.

Jon_Norton

Wasn't he in the first episode of Noble & Silver, appearing as himself, commisioning the 2 cunts to make their shit TV show?

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Bellscab"
Quoteexactly did Morris base "self-facilitating media node" Nathan Barley on?
....Erm, Brooker created the character of NB, surely? This would suggest to me this article is indeed column-filling lies.
Brooker created the character, but perhaps Morris chose the actor and suggested that he based his mannerisms upon Newman?/quote]

It would certainly explain the furious back-peddling about how Cunt "wasn't supposed to be taken seriously as a burst of anger on Brooker's part" or whatever the fuck Morris and Brooker spouted in that goddamn interview.  After all, it looks more than a bit weedy if you claim to be poking the media bigwigs in the ribs, only to then insert the disclaimer "well, not the ones we're close personal friends with, though, obviously - they've been simply marvellous to us, terribly encouraging blah blah blah"

Andrew Newman was heavily involved in the setting up of The 11 O'Clock Show.  As was Caroline Leddy, as was Robert Moore, as was Paul Garner.  At the time, I thought, "Blimey, Morris must be mortified by this rubbish rip-off of his finest few hours".  Now, it sounds like he was flattered into talentlessness.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

The Mumbler:

QuoteAndrew Newman was heavily involved in the setting up of The 11 O'Clock Show. As was Caroline Leddy, as was Robert Moore, as was Paul Garner. At the time, I thought, "Blimey, Morris must be mortified by this rubbish rip-off of his finest few hours". Now, it sounds like he was flattered into talentlessness.

By all accounts he should be pissed off with these endless rip-offs. Remember he commented how Brass Eye would be followed by 'under-realised prankster drivel' and bellowed 'Top this you quisling fucks!' He even inserted a yawn-and-you'll-miss-it reference to prankster drivel in Blue Jam episode 1. The fact that Brass Eye has been imitated by tossers like Baron Cohen, the 11 O'Clock Show, and the rest, doesn't really seem to bother him. After all, he could, instead of trying to satirise (or whatever he wishes to call it) young 'n' loaded fools, satirise the moronic comedians and mindless producers at Channel 4. The people who actually have power and influence, and who genuinely worship Morris (and therefore Ashcroft) as a god, and on who, perhaps, Morris is slightly reliant upon. God knows what Morris' ego must be like: either it's fat, sweaty and crushing all his talent; or he manages to rein it in, and not let the whole 'Morris is God' movement affect him one bit. On the evidence of NB and that interview, I find the latter extremely remote.

The Mumbler

Brass Eye Special, lest we forget, was an oil and water collaboration of people who'd worked on the original series and a bunch of people who'd made it on Talkback's subsequent The 11 O'Clock Show.  It was never likely to be a happy marriage, and it wasn't.

Jon_Norton

It's now clear that Brooker is only ever funny when doing the angry-outsider schtick. The moment he steps on to the media bus himself he is not only compromised, but has nothing to offer anyway, other than bland hackwork.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Bellscab"This interested me in particular:

Quotethe good news is that Chris Morris would like to do one, the bad news is that controller Kevin Lygo would rather he didn't
Is this common knowledge around here?
The latter bit is - there was a Lygo interview linked to from here a few days/weeks ago in which when the subject of NB was raised he rolled his eyes and mouthed some platitudes about having to experiment with daring stuff, or something.

Paaaaul

OK. An analysis of the figures:-

Averages
Mode  = OK

Median = OK

Mean = OK

Which is a fairly resounding OK vote by the members of CaB.
Looking at those who voted for anything other than OK,
85 voted for the programme and 103 voted against it, which gives 45% in favour and 55% against it, but with a low variance due to the majority of people in the slightly for or slightly against positions.
I think we can conclude that on the whole, that the programme was OK

The Mumbler

I could never be bothered to vote, actually.  Was I alone in this?

Paaaaul

Should I have put an option in there to "Not Vote" then?

(I'm sure the sample size is big enough to get a decent result anyhoo)

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "The Mumbler"I could never be bothered to vote, actually.  Was I alone in this?

Most of the people who voted for 'Great' never came on here to explain why it was great, which was a shame.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Paaaaul"Should I have put an option in there to "Not Vote" then?

To be fair, I probably would have ignored it even then!